Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Arning Control Arm Drop is it necessary?

I've read the write up by David Suesz, regarding the Arning/Shelby Control Arm Drop.

IMO, I feel if the car was driven hard at a track it would be necessary.

I would drive mine occasionally and to some car shows. Besides that, I'm already replacing the coil springs with one's that are 1" lower. So would I benefit from it?

The only reason why I'm entertaining the thought is that the motor is out and I have to install new springs.

I have done some searching into this and I've read where a good handful of people messed up on the drilling (off centered and oblong holes) also, there seems to be a problem with the nut attachment. Is it true, that one of the new drilled holes splits the reinforcement metal and the shock tower, leaving a 1/8" gap on the shock tower side.

Should I or shouldn't I????

Not to hijack the thread but I am fixing to do the arning/shelby drop on my vert and have a ? I can't find an answer to. When the new holes are drilled 1" lower than the stock, on the engine side of the shock tower the new holes are below the original support brace that is attached to the shock tower the bolts use to go through. Do I need to install the opentracker reinforcement kit to keep from having any issues later or does it matter that the bolt no longer goes through that support? Thanks

Go to the 4:00 mark in this video and you'll see a great explanation of the Arning/Shelby drop and it's advantages.

Jeff Ford's a hoot. Saw him at Charlotte and got him to pose for me wearing a "Where's Jim Smart button".

1505676_10201889860474388_6685192372509915490_n.jpg

Not to hijack the thread but I am fixing to do the arning/shelby drop on my vert and have a ? I can't find an answer to. When the new holes are drilled 1" lower than the stock, on the engine side of the shock tower the new holes are below the original support brace that is attached to the shock tower the bolts use to go through. Do I need to install the opentracker reinforcement kit to keep from having any issues later or does it matter that the bolt no longer goes through that support? Thanks

They should still be on the double steel pieces of the shock tower.

Maxum96-Thank you, it was a very good video and it helped a lot with some of my concerns. Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner.

I was also in contact with Day Scovel of Dazecars and he was for it regardless of what I'm doing with the car. I ordered his template and bit today.