Sign in to follow this  
MikeRiska

Now what??

This is my first post to your forum and I hope not the last. I need to get an idea of what some of you think I should do with this 69 mustang.

I bought the car for my son in the 80s We rebuilt the engine repainted , reupholstered and generally sweetened up the car and he drove it throughout high school. He started a new life and left the car in my shed. I eventually paid him for the car and left it in the shed .

Wife decides I need to get the car out clean it up and drive it some. It was sold as a Mach 1. Today I decided to look at the vin and body tags and discovered the car was originally a Boss 302. It has a 351 w engine. A close ratio top loader 4 speed and a 9 inch rear end. the tag says it is a 391Equa lock. My question is this. Would you redo it as a Boss or leave it as a Mach?

I don't have the money to make it a $50,000 car but feel like if it is a boss it should at least look like one. So what do you think?? Any advise? The vin is

9F02G221874 body code says 63A. This car has the vents right behind the doors. The only Boss cars I have seen ( admittedly few) don't have the vents. Whats up with that?? Thanks in advance for your help. Mike

What is the condition currently

If the paint is good I would start collecting the parts to make the car a boss again and enjoy the car a bit as it is then start a resto after you save some money and have some of the parts to return it and do,it within your means.

Till them enjoy,it of you may never regain the motivation to tire-redo the car.

Is inspect the previous owner added the scoops because they liked them. I have a friend with a 70 Mach and he is adding the scoops because he likes them

Bob

I would say go back to a boss. Since it doesn't have the boss engine and they are stupid expensive it just depends on what you like best. Honestly if it is in good solid shape, you could probably sell it and use that money to get a car that is finished and ready to go. It would be awesome to have a real boss though but if you cant afford to do it right don't do anything that will devalue it any more.

Forgot to ask. Are you going by the dash vin tag or the door tag? If you are going by the door make sure you check the dash as the door may be from a boss donor from back in the day and not match the dash.

I would say even if its had some parts changed the car will still prove to be a good investment for you even if you sell as-is. I do understand personal connections to these cars. I think a Mart report would be a good way to verify its heritage.

The "G" in the VIN identifies the car as a Boss 302. Order a Marti report on the car to get all of the information such as correct color, options, etc. and work on rebuilding it back to a Boss 302. Leave the drive train as it is for now but change the appearance back to the correct Boss 302. Then when time and money allows you can work on converting the motor, trans and rear back over to the correct Boss parts it came with (identified on the Marti report). The value of this car will be in converting it back to a correct Boss 302. If done properly you could have a $60k car on your hands. Better than spending money on it to keep it looking like a Mach 1 and diminishing the value. Also may want to poke around the Boss 302 registry site (http://www.boss302.com) and their forum for some input as well (http://www.boss302.com/smf/).

Thanks for your replies. Pics, yes I'll get some taken and posted. The body is in fair condition. Dry N.M. air helps keep rust away and it has beenin covered storage for 20 years. The numbers are from the vin tag and the door data tag, which both show the same vin. I am going to send for a Marti report and get it up on a hoist for a look see before I do much more..Thanks again guys. Mike

Wow, cool story! And it's "our" forum, you included. Welcome, and good continued luck!

Notwithstanding the motor, I would return the rest of the car to stock. I would not do any more non Boss mods to it. The quarter mod reversal and stripes can't be too much cash. You can live with the motor I suppose. If the Boss turns out too costly for you, you should be able to sell it for a good penny.

Bob

Edited by RPM

I don't know what these guys are talking about, it sounds like that car isn't worth anything. Since I'm feeling charitable I'll take the car, pay for transport, and I'll drop you 1000 just because I'm a nice guy. Just pm me your address and who to make the check out to.

Hahaha, just kidding, good for you man I wish I found out my car was a boss. Like everyone said, do it up like a boss. Even without an original motor it's still worth good money. I'd like to see it built as they did back in the day where the rear was jacked up with wide tires and side pipes hahaha.

Wow, cool story! And it's "our" forum, you included. Welcome, and good continued luck!

Notwithstanding the motor, I would return the rest of the car to stock. I would not do any more non Boss mods to it. The quarter mod reversal and stripes can't be too much cash. You can live with the motor I suppose. If the Boss turns out too costly for you, you should be able to sell it for a good penny.

Bob

Just to be clear I only referenced the Boss302 forum becasue there is a ton of information if you choose to do a concourse restoration on the car. However there are people on that forum that are not the friendliest. But if you wanted to troll the site to gain some knowledge it would be worth it. A buddy of mine is on that forum and has restored several Boss 302 cars and is a real stand up guy. His handle is Olaf427 if you want to look him up and ask him some questions along the way. The people on THIS forum are friendlier and more responsive.

Wife decides I need to get the car out clean it up and drive it some.

Oh btw, she's a keeper. But I suppose you already figured that out :)

Bob