Sign in to follow this  
Mach_1

Another Wheel Thread (yaaaaay...) )17" and backspacing

Hey folks! First time posting here, but have been lurking around for a while! I've looked through quite a few old wheel / tire threads but still have a question or two.

I have a 69 Q Code Mach 1 which currently sits on 15" magnum 500s- I like the classic look, but am looking for a second set of wheels to change up the car's look for some shows / cruises. I am considering the 17" AR VN500s and would really like to fit in a 9.5" / 275 tire in the rear, front would likely be an 8" 245 width. I am still running all stock suspension with the exception of KYB struts. I plan to eventually lower the car ~1" rear (tops) and 1.5" (tops) in the front. I would like to avoid rolling the lips if possible.

My question/s is/ are:

Will this wheel http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-5007956557/overview/

(17x9.5) with a 5.75" backspacing and 275/40/17 tire fit in the rear without any modification? Anyone with a similar setup running this configuration?

What would be the recommened front size? Would this guy http://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-500586145/overview/ fit the bill?

(17x8) with 4.5" backspacing and a 245/45/17 tire fill the front pretty well without rub?

Any help you all can send along is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and sorry for yet another wheel / tire thread! Share pics of similar setups if possible!

Beautiful car! I've run 245/45-17 all round on my car with no rubbing problems, nowhere near in fact. Should be good. I can't imagine the 275 rears being any problem either.

Welcome to the forum!

Beautiful car! I've run 245/45-17 all round on my car with no rubbing problems, nowhere near in fact. Should be good. I can't imagine the 275 rears being any problem either.

Welcome to the forum!

no problem, I run 275's in the rear with no rub. you can probably run 315's

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words!

Okay so ideal sizes / setups would be approximately: 17x8 w/ 4.75 bs Front, 17x9.5 w/ 5.75 bs Rear.

Wow I would have never thought you could fit a 315 under the back with stock axles and non-rolled or mini-tubbed fenders! That would look amazing. Thanks for all of you help folks! :clap:

PS- you all have some VERY clean looking stangs yourselves!

Welcome. I have several threads on the AR500's. I was almost the first customer to buy a set, had them on order forever until they delayed intro indefinitely and finally had to cancel. Now that my project is back on track I will be ordering soon. 17x8 with 4.5"bs 245/45-17and 17x9.5 with 5.75"bs 275/40-17 is exactly what I landed on as well. I was originally going to do 6"bs on the rear to keep them inline with the front but it can see some rub on some cars so I decided 5.75 was safer in the end.

There are better deals on these though than from Summit, I use them for a lot of stuff but not these. Do some searchs and you will come up with all kinds of info. If you do go with Summit though double check your fronts, I think you have the wrong bolt pattern selected.

Welcome. I have several threads on the AR500's. I was almost the first customer to buy a set, had them on order forever until they delayed intro indefinitely and finally had to cancel. Now that my project is back on track I will be ordering soon. 17x8 with 4.5"bs 245/45-17and 17x9.5 with 5.75"bs 275/40-17 is exactly what I landed on as well. I was originally going to do 6"bs on the rear to keep them inline with the front but it can see some rub on some cars so I decided 5.75 was safer in the end.

There are better deals on these though than from Summit, I use them for a lot of stuff but not these. Do some searchs and you will come up with all kinds of info. If you do go with Summit though double check your fronts, I think you have the wrong bolt pattern selected.

Thanks Pakrat! Your threads have really steered me towards the 17" AR500s. Can't wait to pull the trigger. I'll def. shop around a bit more- seems there's some good deals out there! If you order a set please share some pics!

Yeah sure. Have you settled on tire choice yet? I've been using the performance plus website to check them out because they have an option that let's you put in staggered sizes and then shows you what is available in both in one shot. My original choice was a Hankook V4 but they stopped making the 275 now. I really only have 2 criteria 1) I want a directional tire with a neat pattern since I won't be rotating and 2) I need a decent amount of blank sidewall space as I'll be doing custom redlines.

I'll be shopping over the next 2 weeks and ordering sometime b4 the end of April, with my car on jack stands and my new 13" rotors installed I can't do much until I get new wheels. Maybe if you are ready at that time we can arrange an extra discount for a group buy.

I went with the AR500's 17x8 with 4.75" backspace and 245/45/17 tires. Absolutely no regrets. I also put 520 lb 1" lower springs in the front and 1" blocks in the rear. Running KYB Gas Adjusts and have Boss 302 swaybars front and rear. Heres a link where I bought mine. ED

http://www.fastlanespeedandrodshop.com/html/american_racing.html

Edited by Black Jade

I went with the AR500's 17x8 with 4.75" backspace and 245/45/17 tires. Absolutely no regrets. I also put 520 lb 1" lower springs in the front and 1" blocks in the rear. Running KYB Gas Adjusts and have Boss 302 swaybars front and rear. Heres a link where I bought mine. ED

http://www.fastlanespeedandrodshop.com/html/american_racing.html

That looks GREAT Black Jade- all the more reasurrance that the AR500s is the ticket! I like you stance as well. Is the 1" lower front springs your only suspension mod (to affect height) in the front? No Shelby mod or anything? Thanks again!

Yeah sure. Have you settled on tire choice yet? I've been using the performance plus website to check them out because they have an option that let's you put in staggered sizes and then shows you what is available in both in one shot. My original choice was a Hankook V4 but they stopped making the 275 now. I really only have 2 criteria 1) I want a directional tire with a neat pattern since I won't be rotating and 2) I need a decent amount of blank sidewall space as I'll be doing custom redlines.

I'll be shopping over the next 2 weeks and ordering sometime b4 the end of April, with my car on jack stands and my new 13" rotors installed I can't do much until I get new wheels. Maybe if you are ready at that time we can arrange an extra discount for a group buy.

Pakrat- I'm a big fan of the BFG KDW 2s. I had a set on an old 2003 Mach 1 and they looked great (neat tread pattern), wore well, and got pretty decent traction considering the ~430hp they were trying to hook up. I haven't looked at their prices in a while, but I was thinking of going that route again when it comes time for new shoes for the 69 :001_smile:

Very nice car. If you are wanting originality I think you are already there.

Like the stance everyone has different tastes I guess but I love it the way it is, wish mine was that for along.

Dave

The white really shows off the body lines, beautiful car and welcome to the site!

Tire/wheels and paint is the hardest to decide on. I was in love with Magnums 15" until I put a set on my car. As in my case, I think the darker car paint takes away from the look of the wheel. I think next time I'll go with all chrome or aluminum.

Whats under the hood?

The white really shows off the body lines, beautiful car and welcome to the site!

Tire/wheels and paint is the hardest to decide on. I was in love with Magnums 15" until I put a set on my car. As in my case, I think the darker car paint takes away from the look of the wheel. I think next time I'll go with all chrome or aluminum.

Whats under the hood?

Thanks! I could def see light vs dark body colors affecting the looks of the black/chrome appearance of the Magnums.

Our 69 has an...interesting...428CJ under the hood. I say that because it's been somewhat of a headache for years. At some point I need to just pull the motor and have it completely gone-through. It's had an intermittent tappet noise for years that comes and goes, has eaten several lifters, etc. We even have replaced cams, pushrods, valvetrains, etc. and it comes back. Also before my dad passed away he installed a Retrotek Speed Fuel Injection system on it...and they have been less than helpful with support and I am having a hell of a time getting it running well / tuning. If anyone has experience with their software / systems PLEASE help me out lol. Other than that it has:

428CJ bored .03, ~10:1 compression, RS Boss EFI injection, Shelby dual quad al intake, arias forged pistons, crane energizer cam, comp roller rockers, Dove rails, Edelbrock Al performer rpm heads, Pertronix ignition, with Hooker headers and flowmaster exhaust.

Beautiful car!

I suggest sticking with a classic wheel design. I think that car will looks amazing with a wheel that looks "period correct" for an aftermarket change.

Check out Vintage Wheel Works. They specialize in making modern size wheels, in classic designs. I run their 17" V48 wheels on my Mach. My rear tires are 285/40, and front are 255/40. There is NO tire rub, and the offsets are perfect. VWW customer service is excellent, as is the quality of the wheels.

Are they the cheapest, or most expensive? No. But, then again... is your car cheap? NOPE!

http://www.vintagewheelworks.com/products/wheels

Edited by Powershift