Sign in to follow this  
SA69mach

Unpleasant smell from 69 rim blow steering wheel ??

I have a stock 69 Mach 1 wheel with rim blow horn. I can smell an unpleasant odor from the wheel itself - like vomit smell. It is not overpowering, but it kind of ruins the fun of getting in the car.

I assume it is some form of aging effect from the plastic.

It is definitely the wheel rim.

It does not seem to 'come off' on to my hands. they do not smell from holding the wheel and driving.

Anyone else have this smell from the wheel?

Anyone have a method to neutralize this odor, or treat the wheel somehow?

OK, so I searched online for methods of neutralizing bad odors.

I made up a thick paste of baking soda, lemon juice, lemon rind and white malt vinegar. Laid it on folded newspaper and then wrapped it directly onto the wheel, using additional ribbons of newspaper to bind it onto the wheel.

All of those things are noted as being able to neutralize strong odors

I will leave it for 6-10 hours and see how it smells. I have some minor concerns that the mix will bleach or discolor the wheel, so we will just have to see. I am not putting up with that smell.

I also put some wet coffee grounds in an open plastic container in the footwell. Another odor absorber.

I used absorbers/neutralizers instead of masking agents.

After 10 hours I will clean the wheel with warm soapy water, dry it and assess the results.

If it does not work I will use CLR, neat, followed by Dettol and pine cleaning agents.

I hope to find a solution that can perhaps assist others as well.

Have you replaced the horn switch? If not the grove may be filled with who knows what. The other thought that comes to mind is the pad its self.

Well, using the Mark I detection unit (my nose), and am 99% sure it is the plastic rim of the wheel, that is the source of the bad odor.

I am happy to be proven wrong, maybe it is the rim blow rubber, but my sniffer tells me it is the plastic. Disgusting. Embarrassing smell in a car.

I will try a few concoctions of charcoal, baking soda, lemon and vinegar. I read that newspaper wrapped around the wheel can neutralize it too, so, may try that later. I am using newspaper to wrap my first effort of mixed goop, so.... fingers crossed.

I had the exact same issue with mine. I just upgraded mine for other reasons, but it was not a good smell.

Weird huh? What can it be? I assume it is a combination of sweaty hands over the years reacting with the plastic of the rim. Unpleasant...

If I neutralize the reaction in the plastic that would be good. I like this wheel. Just not the smell.

I have exactly the same issue with my stock wheel, except it smells like sh*t. Literally. It's the plastic. I tried to clean it, everything, but it's only getting worse. Good news is it's in a plastic bag, in the attic... Lol

Hey, if I get lucky with a fix you might give your stinky wheel a new lease on life.

What did you try? Just so I don't waste time with methods that don't work...

Yeah, we've all experienced the smell. it usually smells like Butt.

I had an old small hand carry craftsman tool box that had the same nasty odor ? I often dreaded opening it. I would dump moth balls in it but you could still smell it. Could never figure out why it stank

I was told that the plastic used on the handles of some screw drivers cause this stink when they get old. Just like the material used on the steering wheels. I cant remember exactly what they called it but it seemed as if the plastic like material used was breaking down (decomposing) and the out-gassing of the decomposition was giving off the odor.

Edited by Wycked69

Hard plastic steering wheels in all my old cars have always smelled like puke.

I can't stand the feel of a hard plastic steering wheel either so a Wheel Skins 1 pc. Leather Wrap has always been my solution ... it covers up the smell making my nose happy and also makes my hands happy !!

Doug

I was told that the plastic used on the handles of some screw drivers cause this stink when they get old.

That's exaclty right! I had an old set of screw drivers (from the 70's interestingly enough), that had the exact same "butt/shit/crap" type of smell. I agree that it must have something to do with the plastic aging poorly. And therefore, I do not believe there is a way to "clean it". This being said, I only used hot water, soap and a brush in my single failed attempt... Covering it may be possible, but as I am gifted (pleagued?) with a Mark X front detector device, it will never work for me, I am afraid.

I love the smell of my leather upholstery way too much...

My rimblow wheels smells bad too. I'm not so aware of smells (luckily), but my brother tells me it smells like "piquant foot-sweats". But we're pretty sure it's the foam, and not the plastic.

my brother tells me it smells like "piquant foot-sweats".

Not sure what the hell that means but if that's European slang for "dirty feet" I'm with you.

Theyre all roughly the same age. Why don't they all smell? The one on my car doesn't smell and the two I have waiting to be restored don't either. Very odd.

Good point Mike and I agree, not all of them have that smell......... yet. I would suspect the exposure to sun or moisture or what ever elements play a role in the decomposition and "de-gassing". It may be that some of the steering wheel manufacturers back then (and there were several) used varying compounds of material.

As for the Stink, I don't think you could stop it, but as has been mentioned, one that once smelled and was clear coated no longer smells may be due to the fact its now contained due to the clear coat.

I don't know about you guy's but I love the smell of an old car's interior with the cloth headliner. But that is not unlike the smell of the de-gassing plastic used on the steering wheels.

There are some parts of old cars that tend to stink a car out, and not in a good way. Ever re-upholstered your seats. Some pretty bad stuff going on there, and I don't want to think about what it is that gets soaked up in the cushions......

The foams I have taken off two cars, a 70 and this 69, were putrid, and crumbling to dust in some parts, like the headrest portions. the jute was rotting. Springs rusty.

all those things contribute in their unique, and unpleasant way.

But, not as bad as the 'vomit wheel'

Update.

I let the paste dry out on the wheel, wrapped in newspaper. I cleaned it all off, dusted it and polished the plastic with dry cloth, and it smells clean, fresh, like lemons.

Two hours later I could detect that old familiar odor. Removed the center pad and found the old yellow foam was stinking, exactly the vomit smell I hate.

So, I have sprayed the foam with Windex. will try to neutralize the smell. I have heard some good things about Windex. If that does not work I will spray White vinegar on the foam. It is in the sun drying, so maybe the sunlight will help things too.

I will check the car for the odor in a bit, now that the center pad is out of the car. Might narrow down the source. It could be both....

Update.

The wheel with the pad off remained fresh smelling.

The foam part of the pad was sprayed 3 times, to the point of being wet, but not soaked or saturated, with Windex, and left in the sun to dry and also to get some sunlight, since that can help deodorize too.

I reinstalled the pad after a quick and light touch up with black vinyl and interior paint on the tips of all three corners.

So far with the doors closed for a few hours, the car smells like Windex now, which is kind of a good clean chemical odor. I expect it will lessen as it dries out completely. if it needs a re-treatment I will try a lemon scented cleaner mixed with a small amount of white malt vinegar.

So far, so good. I really hope this cures the problem, rather than just masks the disgusting odor that was there before. The foam looked sickly yellow, old and worn out.

My new theory is that the foam in the center pad rots and gives off a bad odor, and the plastic steering wheel absorbs it. The wheel definitely did stink, from the plastic material. The stink would cling to my hands for a short time after driving.

I'm using a repro pad and the smell is still there. I must be the wheel.

Maybe. Take the pad off and away from the car a bit, and find out how it smells. Then smell the wheel. If it is the wheel, try the mixture I used. It has neutralized the wheel. I also sprayed it with clear. Bit early to tell how it will work out.

The pad still smells like Windex.

Maybe it would be worth a try to spray your pad with something pleasant, like lemon, or whatever you like.

The car smells good for now. Good luck to you.

Yep.....it sounds crazy.

There is a lot of anecdotes about screwdriver handles getting the same stink. I think there is a common thread of human hands with steering wheels and screwdriver handles. Plus they are both a hard phenolic resin/plastic material I guess some peoples sweat or oils is pretty strong or just a type to cause a reaction in the plastic. Some plastic does break down for no good reason.

I am not trying to cure cancer, and everything I am trying to neutralize the smell, well, I bet it has been tried before. But it is passing the time of day, it is improving the car, and I love tinkering with this car.

By the way - I have only recently got this car and the smell was in it when I got it, so I don't have the funky sweaty palms OK?

I will have to keep an eye out for the Starbucks witch doctor. What was the solution according to the good doctor?