Sign in to follow this  
Mike65

L/S Inner fender panel advice needed.

I am in the process of replacing the r/s front inner fender panel & I need to replace the l/s front one also. The l/s front inner fender panel is the one that has the VIN # stamped in it, should I cut around it & leave the front section of the top of the inner fender panel welded to the radiator support & cut that piece out of the new/repo piece & just weld it to the new piece if that makes sense. Any suggestions or ideas?.

TIA, Mike.

I am in the process of replacing the r/s front inner fender panel & I need to replace the l/s front one also. The l/s front inner fender panel is the one that has the VIN # stamped in it, should I cut around it & leave the front section of the top of the inner fender panel welded to the radiator support & cut that piece out of the new/repo piece & just weld it to the new piece if that makes sense. Any suggestions or ideas?.

TIA, Mike.

I replaced the fender aprons on my car too. I'm going to get the proper size stamps and stamp them myself. I think it is like a 1/4 inch letters the only problem I see is the star stamp but I understand that there is someone that makes them also. You say your numbers are on the l/s mine were on the right side shock tower. I wonder which is correct? Mine is a fastback made in Dearborn don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Dave

Lots of discussion in regards to this floating around. My suggestion would be to talk with the local authorities before making any changes. It is possible you could have it inspected/verified/documented prior repair & a subsequent inspection after that will allow you to "move" the VIN to the repaired panel.

I would not want to be any pat of re-stamping the VIN unless the authorities provided written approval prior.

Lots of discussion in regards to this floating around. My suggestion would be to talk with the local authorities before making any changes. It is possible you could have it inspected/verified/documented prior repair & a subsequent inspection after that will allow you to "move" the VIN to the repaired panel.

I would not want to be any pat of re-stamping the VIN unless the authorities provided written approval prior.

I truly respect your opinion but I cant help but think when it comes to the legal aspect, its the actual vin plate or vin tag on the dash that would actually apply. No BMV would use the stamped vin on a fender apron in place of the vin tag.

I think its 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of another, Either cut the vin stamp from the apron and weld it in the new apron or stamp the new apron.

My car is already registered in SC and have the tags although I am not driving it. It was registered before being torn down for the restoration

but in SC they don't even pay any attention to the fender vin numbers only the vin tag on drivers side dash. If you want the numbers back on the fender apron/shock tower the only way is to stamp it. The numbers don't really have to be on the fender under the hood as long as you have the vin tag on the drivers side dash, putting them back on the fender/shock tower is just making it look more consistent with the way it came from the factory. Dave

Again that is in SC I'm not aware of how other states work.

If you are replacing the front apron it shouldn't be an issue. My car has the vin stamped on the top or the rear apron on both sides just above the shock tower behind the edge of where the front and rear apron come together. I can load pictures but it will be tomorrow as im at work and dont have those pics on my phone. If your rear apron is good, ie the one that is welded to the firewall you shouldn't have to mess with the vin stamp if you are only replacing the front apron that holds the battery tray.

My 69 Coupe was built in Metuchen, NJ & the stamping is only on the l/s front apron. It also has the body buck tag screwed to the top of the r/s rear apron. No other VIN stampings that I can see. I also have the VIN plate riveted to the top of the l/s of the dash. The car has been titled in NJ since 2001 but never had license plates since I tore it apart after I purchased it & titled it in NJ.

My 69 Coupe was built in Metuchen, NJ & the stamping is only on the l/s front apron. It also has the body buck tag screwed to the top of the r/s rear apron. No other VIN stampings that I can see. I also have the VIN plate riveted to the top of the l/s of the dash. The car has been titled in NJ since 2001 but never had license plates since I tore it apart after I purchased it & titled it in NJ.

Hey Mike, I don't know what is correct as I said mine was partially on the shock tower and part of the apron on the passenger side.

from the responses your getting it sounds like it just depended on who had the hammer that day. I don't know if different plants put them in different places or what. Like most are saying I don't think it makes any difference

but believe I would rather stamp it than cut the new apron and weld the old back in but that's just me.

Dave

100_0599_zps5c5b1f3b.jpg

Here is a shot of the drivers side front inner fender panel, where you see the silver spot on the top front of the panel is where the vin # is stamped, & if you look back near the shock tower you could see where it looks like it was buckled & straightened from being in an accident at one time in its past. Also the top of the fender panel is also buckled a little. What I was thinking of doing is cutting the fender panel across the top between the VIN # stamp & the hole for the fender bolt clip & then cut at the ridge line to the radiator support & remove the rest of the fender panel leaving the VIN # stamp there & cut that piece out of the new panel & weld them together & re-paint it.

Mike.

100_0599_zps5c5b1f3b.jpg

Here is a shot of the drivers side front inner fender panel, where you see the silver spot on the top front of the panel is where the vin # is stamped, & if you look back near the shock tower you could see where it looks like it was buckled & straightened from being in an accident at one time in its past. Also the top of the fender panel is also buckled a little. What I was thinking of doing is cutting the fender panel across the top between the VIN # stamp & the hole for the fender bolt clip & then cut at the ridge line to the radiator support & remove the rest of the fender panel leaving the VIN # stamp there & cut that piece out of the new panel & weld them together & re-paint it.

Mike.

Well Mike I say fix like you want it, that's what matters. You know everyone has a better idea even Ford did. Doing it the way you described will probably look more original. I say go for it. dave