Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

Which tire 225/70/15 or 215/70/15

I can't decide on what tire to get up front. The rears will be 275/60/15.

The 275 is 28" tall.

The 225/70 is 27.4" tall and tread width is 8.9

The 215/70 is 26.9" tall and tread width is 8.5

The tires will be on 15x7 Magnums.

I like the wider width of the 225, but I think the side wall might look too tall.

Here's a picture of a Black Mustang with 215/70's.

160646_7f01f07df8_low_res_zps2c531678.jpg

96d9b8ab00_1756537_zps8b05dce1.jpg

I can't believe, no opinions!

When at the Tire Store, there is a visual difference in the the sidewall height.

I like Mustang Cuz the best but that's only my opinion. Truly I don't see anything wrong with your car and set up either. I can only wish for the day mine looks as good as yours. I don't think no one is as critical of our own car as we are our self. Go with what pleases you.

Dave

I like the wide front tire look also and choose the 235/60's. Not sure about the 225/70 because its so tall. Would have to see it in real. The black car has a real nice stance but that front end looks to have been lowered a bit to get that nice fit look so don't think its all in the tires because suspension has a lot to do with visual also. Here is a pic of my 235/60s Not really the best picture to show tires but only one I have.

9.25 wide

26.10 Diam

5.55 Sidewall height

Hi All - Merry Christmas!

Haven't been around much lately... Been playing too much golf - if there is such a thing. About ready to re-do the interior over the winter and a new motor and PS in the spring.

I chose the 225/70 275/60 tires because they were the closest in height of all the tire combos and I wanted a 28" rear tire. It's a very neutral stance with the sidewalls approximately the same width. I went through a lot of tire combos to get this one. At one time I had 235/60 255/60 but it looked weird.

Edited by coz

I got the BFG TA's 225/70/15 and 275/60/15.

I have to say that I like the prior rear look of the 295's.

I was trying to keep the front 27.4 and rear 28 tires at the same height.

The front 225/70's gives an illusion of a wider sidewall then the rear and I found that when turning the wheel the tire rubs on the lower fender corner.

I'm gonna keep the 275' and switch the fronts to a 215/65/15, which is a 26" tire,

This way if I change back to the smaller dia tire (295) 26.7", the fronts will still be in proportion.

BFGTAs014_zps225cea49.jpg

Here's where the tire rubs with the 225/70/15's

SDC17609_zps080152c6.jpg

It would take a lot of shims to gain clearance. I doubt it would work.

I believe the only choice I have is a 215/65 (26") or a 235/60 (26.1").

I do have a 15x7 on front. Would the 235 create too big of a bulge and maybe hit the valance.

I had 225/60 (25.6") on the 15x7 before this, that would be too small.

It would take a lot of shims to gain clearance. I doubt it would work.

I believe the only choice I have is a 215/65 (26") or a 235/60 (26.1").

I do have a 15x7 on front. Would the 235 create too big of a bulge and maybe hit the valance.

I had 225/60 (25.6") on the 15x7 before this, that would be too small.

did you do the arning drop?

Even though the Arning Drop had it's purpose, I don't believe it's necessary for a street vehicle. IMO, I'm more interested in keeping the stock suspension/geometry.

Buckeye- I do appreciate your input & suggestions, I was also wondering if there is more clearance in the rear of the front tire then the front. As in Cuz's vehicle, it appears he doesn't have that problem.

As for my vehicle, I have no problems with the suspension or steering. I had both full 1/4's replaced and the body was measured, nothing was out of wack.

I have a friend at a tire shop, I'll see if I can get a couple different size tires to try on. I do intend to lower the front. The PO had changed to an unknown coil spring for use of a 390.

i have 1" of clearance with the 215-65s and 2.5 degrees of caster. i did the arning drop and found that i had to shim to compensate for that (instead of just pulling the strut rod forward). given you didn't drop the control arm, i was simply thinking shimming might get you close.

i have personally NEVER recommended the arning drop, simply because i don't have a before and after test to tell what the difference was.

i have a lot of pictures of people who have installed 245 60s on the front with BFGs and magnums.

Today I was able to get a 235/60/15, 26.1 Dia, on the front. I had enough clearance at the Valence 3/4", but the upper ball joint had approx an 1/8" clearance. I guess I could of used that size, but I felt up and down travel would eventually rub.

The 225/60 fit all around but too small of a Dia. 25.6.

Remember I have a 15x7x bs 4 rim.

I wonder those who have 245' had a wider rim and different BS.

I going to get the 215/65/15, 26 Dia. This way if I ever decide to go back to a 295, Dia. 26.7, it would work as well.

I believe Maxum96 is running 215/65 & 275/60 and he's has a nice stance as well. You really can't see the difference in diameter.

Question- I have 15x8x4.5 rims with the 275/60/15. If I go 15x9x5, would that cause the 275 to sit a little smaller?

Edited by prayers1