Sign in to follow this  
Glenn83

408w

Hi, I'm in the process of restoring my 69 fastback, I would like to put a strong 408w stroker in it, just curious to how you guys who have had experience with the 408's rate there performance, they seem to be very highly regarded by a lot of people I have noticed. Since I've only ever had 302's and 347's, I would assume there would be a decent step up in torque.

for a typical street engine, assume 1.20 ft-lbs/cubic inch (torque will be strongly independent of the cylinder head in this case, unlike horsepower...).

plus, the larger cubic inches will shift the rpm band lower (since every cycle can move more air) which makes it more useable across the RPM band for a street car.

another plus, would seem to be the lower risk of block damage. you don't read of too many instances of split 351Ws versus 302s.

Ok cool thanks for the replys, what my plan is, to use a Scat rotating assembly with the I-beam 6.2 rods, with either AFR 205 or the new Trickflow 11r 205 heads, topped of with an air gap, or vic jnr. Still havnt decided yet to use solid or hyd roller cam. As for carb it will be a Pro systems, or Biggs performance. I'm going to use a boss 429 hood scoop so hood clearance shouldn't be a problem. So I'm hoping for at least 500 ftlbs of torque.

Edited by Glenn83

Sounds like a good setup. Mine only has TW185s and a Vic jr, with 10.2:1 compression, and I stuck with a hydraulic roller. I also went with a Pro-Systems carb, and I'm not much on dyno numbers, but the results are pretty decent. I drive the car several times a week, and it runs high 10s on motor, and mid 9s on a little juice, with full interior, at full weight. It's 100% streetable and runs 91 octane.

We always go with the 351 w and stroke them to a 427.

How do you get 427ci out of a stock 351w? Who makes the crank? Back when I stroked my 351w the max a/m crank was 393. My brother machined a Mopar crank to get 421ci. As others have said there is a lot of good stuff now from which to choose.

Edit: I lied about the Mopar crank. He offset ground a 400 crank and used Mopar rods. Well, didn't really lie, just forgot and mixed up the facts.

Bob

Edited by RPM

How do you get 427ci out of a stock 351w? Who makes the crank? Back when I stroked my 351w the max a/m crank was 393. My brother machined a Mopar crank to get 421ci. As others have said there is a lot of God stuff now from which to choose.

Bob

Quote from Keith Craft

"There are several ways to build a 427C.I. stroker 351W engine. Will you use a stock block or aftermarket block. If you use stock block you have to use a 4.187 stroke with a 4.030 bore, with the aftermarket block you can go 4.125 stroke and a 4.000 stroke. The larger bore and the 4.000 stroke works great. We have built these with 10.75 compression that run on pump gas and make over 600HP with 575 to 600ft/bls torque. The main thing is how much do you want to spend. The stock block way I recommend a 408 or 410 or a 418 which has a 4.100 stroke. We just finished a 4.100 stroke 4.30 bore 351W for a customer that made 600HP and 575ft/bls torque. this engine was done with a __af_placement_id--[AFF-PLACEMENT-ID].html"]Ford Racing sportsman block, hydralic roller and will run on pump gas. This engine ran about 11,500.00 of the dyno. We do 408/410 stroker that make 525HP and 550ft/bls torque for about 5500.00. These 351W are the best buy going for performance for the dollar. Oh they will aslo turn 8000rpm's with a solid roller if that is what a guy wants. The pin does not go into the oil ring on any of these combinations and oil usage is not a problem. We have been doing these for over 10 years with great succes. Good luck, Keith Craft"

I run a 393W that uses a forged Scat crank with H-beam rods on a solid cam. I'm running about 11.5:1 compression. I have AFR 205 heads topped off with a Victor Jr intake and a Holley 830 double pumper. My engine came with my car when I bought it. It's very streetable, although I would not use it as a daily driver by any stretch. If I was building my motor today, I'd do a 408 to pick up the extra torque the bigger stroke would give me with still being able to spin the motor hard. I currently shift at 7,500 rpm when I'm running it hard.

As far as the Cleveland-Windsor debate, I love Clevelands. They were designed by Ford to be performance engines. The heads are some of the best factory heads from their day. But today, there is far more aftermarket support for Windsors. And with the aftermarket heads around today you can easily make a Windsor run harder than any factory headed 351C.