Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

428 - I drove it - now I must fix it – rebuild thread

New dizzy project finished. It runs smooth now and seems to have fixed the rough idle / rpm limiting issues. Probably still need a new coil wire (it barely reached) but its ok for now. That project is done! Also installed the rear tranny seal and it doesn't drip anymore so that's cool. Pics of dizzy / coil attached.

Tired of jump starting car every time it sits a week or more. The battery has a cut off that I use every time but it still gets too weak after a week or more of sitting. Probably need a new battery but it has an Optima Red Top. I did just get a CTEK 4.3 charger which is supposed to work well on these batteries - we will see.

Only thing keeping me from test driving it is I removed and sold the front seats. I'd have to sit on a bucket and that's just not a good idea.....lol.

My next project is the NPD rear window louver install. Hopefully get that done today. After that is the Fiero seats.

The Louver job went ok. I have a few comments on them.

First removing the old Hammond louvers was easy except for the upper hinges. They tucked under the rubber and then bent down in front of the glass. Nice to keep them from falling off, but to remove you really need to remove the trim and bend the rubber up. I really didn't want to remove my trim so I used a gasket scraper type screw driver and lifted the front of the hinge bracket up as I pulled aft with the pliers. First one came out fine. Second one came out with a crunching sound and bits of glass (heart sink). Seems I chipped a good amount of glass off the edge. I vacuumed it out and filled in under the gasket with adhesive. I hope it doesn't lead to a broken window but if it does I guess that means I have a good excuse to buy the black tinted glass vs the green OEM tint in it now.

Second is the new louvers and the way the seal sits on the trim. If I had to do it over I would have mounted them a tad more forward. I spent a lot of time positioning them perfectly before marking and drilling. After installed, when I raise the louvers then lower them, the gasket (on the top only between the hinges) now sits aft of the trim between the hinges, then transitions to laying on top of the trim at the corners and down the sides. It didn't do that as I test fit them, it happened after I screwed them down and then raised and lowered them. I tried with a screw driver to get the seal back up on top, but there is not enough overlap. If I had to do over, I would mount them about 1/4" more forward.

Besides that, all went well!! Before and after pics.....

Edited by jwscarab

That low battery thing is your car telling you she needs driven MORE! Bob

Yea I agree completely Bob! I just need seats and good weather.....lol. I'm very jealous of you guys who get to enjoy their rides all year long!

For some reason I was thinking the Fiero seats don't fold forward, which would be a problem for your rear passengers. But I could be wrong.

Yikes - That would be a show stopper Rich! I'm not 100% sure either! I guess I will find out real soon. I have the seats in the basement but they are disassembled. I need to find the hardware and assemble them. Then I will post back for everybody if they do tilt forward. I sure hope so!!

Edited by jwscarab

The easiest way to break tempered glass is to chip the edge. It disturbs the molecules and will explode. Extreme heat and cold can do the same thing to it. Are the screws all the way tight on the hinge ?

Yea I have the hinges tightened down very well. The chipping occurred when removing the old Hammond bracket that just tucked under the glass gasket. It needed pried out. I'm betting the glass will crack sometime in the future due to the chipping, but I figured what happened happened so its too late. I filled the chipped edge with sealant. I'll replace it when/if it lets go!

I do like the OEM style louvers over the aftermarket Lamborghini style. FWIW, I had the same problem with the rubber seal alignment with rear window trim on the body. My rubber seal is ok and is in two pieces. It looks like it would be a royal pain to replace.

I've not update the thread so I wanted to update my progress over the last 2 months, so here goes.

Its been like sub freezing -75 degrees colder then you know what and I have not had the nerve to enter the garage. My electric bill has been higher than a house payment. I'm so sick of this winter I could scream.

Update complete! Thanks

Come to Arizona. I wore a t-shirt for the first time this winter. Balmy 60 degrees outside. And I'm in the coldest part of Arizona. :D

Hopefully the weather will let up soon and you can get back to your car. I saw a 429 for fairly cheap and contemplated it, but I'm not ready for the much work just yet. I'd have to get one of those giant intimidating hood scoops like you have. But I'll keep my baby 302 for now.

I'd LOVE to live in Arizona Tg, Id got to Sedona in a second. But then I would find myself chasing UFO's instead of working on my car.....lol.

Well, a small update. The weather let up for a few days then took another dump on us! On top of that, I just had hernia surgery and I am down for the count for a few weeks. But in a few weeks I'll be ready to go, and the weather will be breaking!

So, I got a chance a few months back to install and drive the car with the Fiero seats. I love them!! Soooo low and comfortable!! So here's my progress: Today I took the plunge and ordered a set of Mr Mikes Leather seat covers for them. They will look exactly like the seats in this picture. So in a few weeks when I heal, weather gets better, and covers arrive - I can put the covers on. I will take pictures of the tracks I made, and the install, and the finished product then.

I also am hiding the reclining seat levers on the inside (between the seats and the console) by swapping the seats. This get rid of the big spring cover and handle, and I will have a hidden custom made by Mr Mikes "finger loop" to pull to flip the seats forward - which will be hardly ever. Especially since I may omit my lower rear seat for a carpeted storage box covered by a fold down rear seat top.

Edited by jwscarab

Looking good ! The seats will be nice. A guy in our car club put the same ones in, but matched the deluxe interior material with a kit that he found down in the US somewhere. For your louver did you use stainless or original upper hinges ?

For your louver did you use stainless or original upper hinges ?

Hi stangnet33! Looking forward to the seat install. For the louvers, I used the repo hinges that came with the kit. They are chrome plated like the originals. All the hardware needed to install them (hinges, latches, fasteners, gaskets, etc) came with the louver kit.

Well I finally got the seats finished! Below are pictures of the fixed position seat tracks I made, and pics of the Fiero seats after I got the MrMikes leather covers installed and got the seats in the car. I REALLY like how the seats sit so low and back. Tons of leg room and headroom both, and I am almost 6'6".

I had intended on swapping the seats - drivers side on passenger, and passenger side on drivers. This hides the seat reclining mechanism between the seat and the console - makes for a nice clean install. I even ditched the plastic recline handles for leather finger loops. But the reclining mechanisms hit the seat belt bolts and I had to install with the latches to the outside. I may make new fixed tracks to move the seat outboard 1". This will fix the interference and allow them to be mounted reversed as planned.