Sign in to follow this  
LiLMike

Repop Feedback

I ordered the LH & RH A/C Louver housings from CJP.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/lh-a-c-louver-and-housing-1969-1970/p/CAA2125/

Just wanted to give my thoughts on these in case anyone was thinking of ordering them. As far as the metal housing goes, it is a good reproduction. The metal is just a tad bit lighter from the originals but still a nice reproduction. As far as the balls go, they are very poor. The plastic is good but very light. They are painted flat black and the leading edges are just hand painted silver. The silver paint looks like the person had a shakey hand when painting them. Not happy with the looks of the balls at all. I'm sending them back and rebuilding my old ones. Just wanted to pass along this information.

Mike

I have found all this mustang reproduction stuff to be shockingly shabby. I have fixed up several GM cars using repop stuff and never encountered a real difference, I always told people buy repo don't waste money on NOS for drivers. But when I started buying for my mustang, now I know what guys have been on about. The reproduction part quality is sub-par, not everything of course but a lot. Just got a hood to cowl seal from NPD that is noticeably smaller and thinner than my original, hood moldings everyone knows about, on and on.

So, I posted the exact same feedback about the A/C louvers in a thread back in Sep 2012.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=11383

I also purchased them for CJP but they are made by Classic Auto Air who appear to be the only source for this particular part.

It's a shame LiLMike never saw that post.

How can we start up a repop database with comments that can be easily searched?

I think my repro parts have been good for the most part. Those being weatherstripping, chrome quarter window frames, floor stampings, rear quarter panel (dynacorn), front and rear valance (dynacorn), front spoiler, front grill, interior dash trim pieces, dash cover, carpet, door sills, turn signal harness, grill moldings (complete), switch knobs, fuel tank, interior panels, door glass molding, window cranks, door locks, sway bar, leaf springs/shackles, reverse lights, front turn signals, side marker lights and trim, headlight rings, windshield.

So far the only real fail has been the hood molding. Also, the arm rests, and fiberglass package tray (had to be cut) are less than perfect as well.

Off topic:

How come people call repro parts "repo" or even worse, "repop"? Repop is a brand.

I think a lot of it is people are ordering so much stuff online because the price is cheaper or they dont have anywhere close to them to get the stuff from. I lived in north dallas until 2 yrs ago and would drive a hour each way to dallas mustang instead of ordering it so I could see what I was getting. Now I live in tulsa and get stuff from mustang 1 in sapulpa, about 15 min from me, or I drive to okc to obsolete ford. I do order stuff from cj's but you have to be careful what you buy because so much of their stuff is chinese junk and if you dont like it you have to pay to ship it back. I have actually been pretty fortunate and met a lot of people around dallas and tulsa through craigslist that have been rebuilding these cars for a living and have retired so I got a ton of stuff for my car that way too. It all boils down to do your research before you buy and if the price is cheap it is probably a cheap part.

I have been fortunate too, but I usually buy the little more expensive part & so far no huge problems. I have replaced the l/s trunk floor, r/s trunk drop off, rear gas tank support, tail light panel, l/s & r/s outer wheel houses, l/s & r/s quarter skins, l/s door shell, & r/s door skin. I have purchased but not yet installed l/s & r/s toe boards, l/s & r/s 2 piece torque boxes, l/s & r/s floor supports, & l/s & r/s front inner fender panels so I don't know the fitment on these. The only hiccup was the quarter skins were about 1/2" to long where it welds to the rocker panel in front of the rear wheel not allowing the body lines to match up. A little re-bending & I was good to go. I had purchased a r/s inner wheel house since mine had a couple spots that needed to be repaired, but the contour didn't match up anywhere close, so I cut out the pieces I needed & repaired the one in my car.

Mike.

I sent the A/C louvers back to CJP. I disassembled my old louvers, ground down the rivits, drilled & tapped holes for new screws. Going to get the housings sand blasted and painted. I'll reassemble them with the velcro felt and they will be as good as new. The chrome on the balls look great when I turned them around so I'm good to go.