Sign in to follow this  
LSwat

What part is this and where do I get new ones? (rear end)

Trying to mount the new rear axel and everything is new except for this part. From what I have found it is called a "leaf spring pad" and it does not appear to be on any of the main sites (laurell, CJ, etc) I really would like to buy a new set and I figuered best way to locate one would be by figuring out the proper name.

If I recall correctly it mounts like I have it in the 3rd picture and then the leaf spring shock plate sits below it, all being held together by the U bolts.

2013-07-22_10-11-49_703_zps9ea69734.jpg?t=1374508015

2013-07-22_10-12-04_62_zps7aa6c101.jpg?t=1374507985

2013-07-22_10-12-26_972_zpscd8bf7ed.jpg?t=1374507940

Hmm... I've never seen that part on any Mustang I've owned or worked on. The part looks to be in good shape, why not just clean it up with a wire wheel and paint it?

Bob

It is a Cougar part and was not on Mustangs from the factory. You have them upside down. I wouldn't recommend them in a performance application, as the rubber would flex and you'd have wheel hop issues. On the flipside it is a way to lower the car, similar to lowering blocks.

Below is an assembly diagram

RearSuspensionDiagram.jpg

My 67 Cougar XR7 GT had those on it. Pretty sure they were to make things smoother, more "luxurious" for the Cougars, keep the vibration down, etc but like buening says they would makes things much less solid with any horsepower or with a standard.

Nice diagram as well!

Stephen

My 67 Cougar XR7 GT had those on it. Pretty sure they were to make things smoother, more "luxurious" for the Cougars, keep the vibration down, etc but like buening says they would makes things much less solid with any horsepower or with a standard.

:thumbup1:

My neighbor just inherited a very original 1967 Cougar a few weeks ago. Those brackets with the rubber insulators were bolted to the rear leaf springs.

It came on the Grande' part of the cushy rear suspension. I had it on mine when I took out the original suspension. The thing is.. If you put it back in with new springs it will lower the car. Mine was lowered too much, so I took it back out.

Also, keep in mine that if you remove it, your original U-bolts may not be threaded far enough up to tighten the plate to the rear end.