Sign in to follow this  
69droptopgt

Floor pan comparison

Ok I give up looking for something totally correct. Gonna put a 1 piece (incorrect)floor pan in. What are the pluses and minuses of each one made? DOnt need the complete that goes into trunk. Just for interior. Thanks for info. SOme I have seen are CJ pony, NPD, Laurel mountain, ect. Any others I did not list I would appreciate info. Would appreciate any info you can give me. Want to order in a day or 2. Thanks

Dont claim to be an expert here but I did install a new full floor pan in a 69 Mach I.

Basically there is no good or bad repo floor pan. They all are pretty much the same stamping. Unfotunaly, they are a one size fits all whick means 65 - 70. The only thing is the ribbing is NOT techncially correct on the front floor section. Did noty mean much to me since it was covered with Carpet and was not going to be a concours restroation.

However, I do suggest you make sure the lip on the outer edges are folded up and not down. I have heard (I say heard) that some guys have gotten floor pans where the left / right side edge was folded down instead of up. They had to re-bend the edge so it could be installed properly.

I put a one piece. It was easy to do. My car is not a show car. So I wasn't concerned about the difference in the repro floorpan. Figured that was better than the rusted out original that was in the car.

I picked mine up at the Columbus swap meet a few years ago. One thing I noticed is that mine was a very nice stamping with no unintended wrinkles like others I have seen. No idea what name was on it.

My son and I have been working on his 69 Coup, we bought a full floor pan from CJ Pony because we had a few holes in the drivers side, the rust did not go past the seat mount but we cut the section out just past the seat mount for ease and we also ordered the new mount, which by the way is very heavy gauge steel.

My question is this, do we really have to cut and match the seams exactly or can we seal in between and overlay the new pan, this seems to be a much easier approach especially for two novices.

The sections we want to overlay are the front by the pedals and the section where the rear floor board section is.

Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. By the way it fits very tight and actually looks as if it was an identical match.

Seats are at the upholstery shop and we have a complete new Black interior ready to go in as soon as we figure out the floor board.

Getting exciting.

We were at a body shop here on Maui and asked the owner if he knew where we could find a 351 Windsor or Cleveland.

He has a 351 Cleveland out of a Pantera, he said this is a very rare engine and the Horsepower what he believed to be around 500. He also mentioned it only runs on Very High Octane Gas.

Any and all thoughts and or suggestions are appreciated.

I wanted to have the engine rebuilt and hold it for when my son is ready for that type of power. he is 16 and not yet licensed.

Other than the ribbing not being correct on any of them, I have never read any negative comments about any one piece floor pan in the years they have existed. I personally bought one at a swap meet for the cheapest price I could find and it was excellent.