Sign in to follow this  
jwscarab

Brought home a new pony today!! - Pics!!

Hey guys, I need to share some excitementalert.gif 2 years ago I bought my F code 302 fastback and it was a basket case like no other. Well I never could talk myself into sinking big $$$ into it. I have a few post on here about my reservations, wanting a Mach 1, etc.

Well, over the last 4 days my Mustang life has changed!! I took 14 hour each way road trip and brought home a new Stang! Its a 1969, Its a Mach 1, AND its a 9R02R 428CJ, 4 speed car! Im super excited! I have a lot of work to do on this car, and a LOT to learn about FE's. But I wanted to share!!

I may piss off all the purists as I make this car "my" car, but that should be part of the fun!

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

I dont think I will drop it any more than it is now. Its 1 1/2" front and rear per the PO. It still has the shaker hood/trim ring, with a B9 scoop over the hole. At first I thought I was not a fan of a B9 scoop on a non B9 car, but I gotta admit it has grown on me fast. And I can't affort any paint work now - so its staying!

Edited by jwscarab

First items in order - get the electronic ignition straightened out and get the idle straightened out so I can drive it w/o it stalling, then look into shorty headers for it. It seems to start hard (even on a fully charged battery - maybe high compression?). It also needs power steering, so I need to decide which way to go there. The PO gave me a lot of rebuilt PS components, but I need to decide if I go that route or a moded PS option.

I'm sitting here eating my Easter eggs and looking at your new ride and I'm charged!!

The stance with the meats looks sweet. As far as the purists go, ( p... on them ) Do what you want and have fun...

Congratulations!!!!!

Just in time for nice weather driving. The 4 spd gonna be a lot of fun.

Can you post tire size and did the PO tell you the wheel size & bs.

What gears does it have.

So, now do you have any windshield interior pillars for sale?

Have Fun!

Forgot to mention, I was talking to a guy about Clevelands compression and hard starting after it's been running a while and he advised me that this will take care of all my starting problems:

Go and get some 0 or 1 ott welding cable and some terminals to fit your starter and selonoid, run a cable from the battery to the starter selo and from the selonoid to the starter. also make sure your alternator is charging up around 14 volts when you are above an idle and last but not least make sure you have a strong battery loke 750 cc amps or larger. The only thing else that could be going on is your starter is getting weak so you might want to get it checked at a auto parts store. If you take care of these simple changes you won't have a problem again.

Hope this helps!

Thanks guys! Heres a few things about the car. It has a TKO 600 5 speed and a hyd clutch, it is a PS car but that is not installed yet, it has 4 wheel disc brakes that are not power either but I am suprised that it stops easy enough, 2 1/2" ss magnaflo exhaust, aftermarket gauges and it is lowered a tad and has subframe connectors.

I did put about 20 miles on it yesterday so that was cool. It runs real bad, needs a tune up and bugs worked out of the ingition. The RR tire hits the quarter real bad when I hit the smallest bump. It leaks a little out of the tailshaft seal. Im looking forward to working out the bugs and being able to tinker with it!

The PO didnt tell me about the back spacing on the wheels. I can check the sizes. The right rear hits real bad. The lips are rolled, but the rr looks like it needs rolled more - I will have to do that real soon.

Got more pics of her?

Posted a few more pics in a later post below....

I do have some Mike. I will get a photobucket site set up and get more pics loaded up on it including the underside. The PO did some nice work installing custom subframe connectors and stiffening up the car.

Edited by jwscarab

Congrats on the new ride. Love the look. Big blocks are fun for sure. I can only imagine with a 4 speed. Sounds like just a few things to work out before you can enjoy it this summer.

Also, I agree with what prayers said about the battery cables. When I rebuilt my motor last year, had a very tough time starting with the standard 4Gauge wiring. I read going to a larger gauge would help as well. I only went to a 2 gauge wiriing since I had a large roll of it. Made all new cables from batter to starter to solenoid to ground. I would even suggest adding a couple of extra ground cables. Since the upgade, no issues for me on start up. Cranks up just fine every time.

Good luck with with the new ride!!!!

Holy hell that car is nice, that is quite the jump from your previous car to an R code. A lot of good options there too TKO, tilt wheel, tach all those things are nice add ons right out of the gate.

It is funny though how things work out, I have a 65 coupe in the garage that is in the same shape as your first. After life, kids, and money issues one day I just bought one done. Plus after years of looking at parts and other cars you figure out just what you really want anyway. Congrats on buying the car you wanted and do it how ever you want.

That's just plain awesome. Love the look of the boss scoop.

Acapulco is my favourite colour...then again i'm partial to it as both of my 69's are acapulco.

And an "R" Code to boot! Great purchase. Enjoy.

John

The wheels say "SKOP" on the center cap decals.

The seats are comfortable enough. Im not sure they will stay long term. My plan for the F code seats was to recover some Fiero seats I already bought with Mr Mikes covers and use them. But that will be a while down the road cause Im broke....lol....and have other more pressing issues on the car to work on before the seats. I do need to move these seats back tho - Im 6'5" and my knees are way up there.....lol.

I just ordered a Marti Report - very anxoius as to what it tells me. It does have the original door tag tho. It says its a 3:50 rear so its not a drag pack car. But it does have staggered shocks and the N rear end so thats cool.

I believe it is Accopoluco Blue with blacked out hood, 4spd, ps, black interior - dont know much else. The PO was super super nice!! He had the car for 33 years and did most everything you see. He was just ready to move to another phase of life is why he sold it.

Edited by jwscarab