Sign in to follow this  
Machspeed

Exhaust Systems

Okay, I know this has been beat to death here but I’ve been all over here and the web looking for some kind of common consensus on a quality exhaust system only to come up exhausted in a futile search. I’ve been looking primarily at three systems: Flowmaster, JBA, and Magnaflow. I have JBA shorty headers on a 408 Windsor stroker that will be linked to a TKO-600. I want full exhaust with factory tips. I realize that I will have to likely have the lead pipes fabricated along with some mild adjustments to the tail pipes to accommodate my factory tips. That aside, I desire a nice throaty musclecar tone without the drone. Those of you whom have purchased any of these can you comment? Also, given the opportunity, would you purchase that same system again? Thanks!!!

The best way to go is to buy the mufflers you want and have a quality shop fab up your pipes to fit. Usually this is far cheaper than a bolt on system. If you are dead set on a header back system though, the Pypes systems are getting a lot of praise lately for super low price, full stainless and fitment. Magnaflow systems appear to be one of the poorest fitting out there.

Yeah, but I want mandrel bent and few can do that around here. Moreover, I've seen some of the work done around here by supposed quality shops and have not been impressed. Lastly, I want stainless.

As to the Pypes system, I've e-mailed them twice and have never heard back from them.....makes me wonder about their practices.

Thanks!

I went with the full stainless Magnaflow 2.5" system a while back and they even warned that on a convertible some modification might be needed but the initial test fitting seemed pretty good, haven't fully installed it yet but didn't see any big obstacles that worried us.

Pak, the Magnaflows are what I'm considering the most, but there have been a few posters on this forum comment about the poor fitting of them. When will yours go on? I'd be very interested to hear how they fit up along with your comments on their sound.

Pypes didn't respond to my emails but their online chat support was quick, friendly, and knowledgable. I am in the middle of installing my set now. Have got them system in place and don't see any huge issues. I want to bolt and clamp the entire system together and will need to have down pipes built to tie in to my Sanderson shorties.

Edited by miketyler

I'm using the Magnaflow 15816 kit. After having some lead pipes made it installed pretty easily, no trouble with fitment here with good clearance.

chillininnh, I sent you a PM the other day....was wondering if you got it?

I'm using the Magnaflow 15816 kit. After having some lead pipes made it installed pretty easily, no trouble with fitment here with good clearance.

Same ones runing on my 70 with Hooker Competiton Headers good fitment.

Pak, the Magnaflows are what I'm considering the most, but there have been a few posters on this forum comment about the poor fitting of them. When will yours go on? I'd be very interested to hear how they fit up along with your comments on their sound.

I'll have to look for those posts because I'm a little surprised, I've been involved in most of the Magnaflow discussions and the majority have been positive as I recall. Many of us bought at the same time thru a really good internet deal a while back.

My project has stalled for the last couple years for various reasons so hard to say when it will be installed completely but my Neighbor who owns a 66' with a 289 which is modded similar to my 302 ended up buying the same kit for his car after seeing mine mocked up and absolutely loves it. He's been backing her out into the driveway each weekend prepping for spring, I'll see if I can get a quick cell phone clip of it this weekend so you can hear what his sounds like. Way better than a Flowmaster in my opinion, I can't tell if it's a truck or a classic anymore when I hear one of those coming down the road.

I am going through the same dilemna right now as well. I installed my FPA long tubes and do not have an exhaust yet. Unfortunately, no one can mandrel bend around here (l wanted a custom job), so I'm stuck with a pre-fab kit. Which is unfortunate because I would prefer not to get the Super 44's that come with the FM kit.

Pak, I hear you about the flowmasters. My head still turns, but it always seems to be a truck driving down the road nowadays. I am also interested in how the x-pipe fits. I am currently running a T-5 with a cable clutch and know things can get tight in there.

Not to hijack, but hopefully add to the conversation..I do not have the valance cut-outs. Do I have to get the turn down kit or will the straight tips clear?

I am going through the same dilemna right now as well. I installed my FPA long tubes and do not have an exhaust yet. Unfortunately, no one can mandrel bend around here (l wanted a custom job), so I'm stuck with a pre-fab kit. Which is unfortunate because I would prefer not to get the Super 44's that come with the FM kit.

Pak, I hear you about the flowmasters. My head still turns, but it always seems to be a truck driving down the road nowadays. I am also interested in how the x-pipe fits. I am currently running a T-5 with a cable clutch and know things can get tight in there.

Not to hijack, but hopefully add to the conversation..I do not have the valance cut-outs. Do I have to get the turn down kit or will the straight tips clear?

You're not hijacking....that is one of my questions. Actually, I'm wondering if I can just get the turn down kit, cut it off at the area of the turn down and add my factory tips with perhaps an extension pipe. The kit that contains tips is a few bucks more and I don't want their tips.

BTW, the kit I've been looking at is 15816 and it seems to be set at $583. Anybody know where it can be purchased at a better price?

Well it appears many of us are in the same boat. My prior custom exhaust will no longer work one bit because my new dse suspension puts the rear control arm mounta inboard where the mufflers sit.

There are no shops near me in the NYC area who can custom bend stainless which really sucks. I do,mot lmow what to do here.

Is there any way to design and make a template to send to a company like Kooks or Stainless works? I also did not want a system made up of 20 pieces or bends and anglesmi want my systems front section to be all one piece and the tail pipes section to be another so if I ever need to remove it in the future it makes life easier

Well it appears many of us are in the same boat. My prior custom exhaust will no longer work one bit because my new dse suspension puts the rear control arm mounta inboard where the mufflers sit.

There are no shops near me in the NYC area who can custom bend stainless which really sucks. I do,mot lmow what to do here.

Is there any way to design and make a template to send to a company like Kooks or Stainless works? I also did not want a system made up of 20 pieces or bends and anglesmi want my systems front section to be all one piece and the tail pipes section to be another so if I ever need to remove it in the future it makes life easier

i've seen Magnaflow on TV do one piece mandrel bent systems by tacking together a bunch of bends, then they take it off and use their special measurement system to get all the angles/dimensions and input that to their bender to produce a single pipe (or at least the sections you want to be continuous).

maybe you could contact Magnaflow and see what they could do. Probably wouldn't be cheap, given you'll have to pay a shop to piece together some cheaper steel as the template, ship to magnaflow, etc.

nobody around me could mandrel bend anything either. especially 3" stainless. they had to piece together a system.

IMG_3094.jpg

we should make a thread and post up what our car sounds like. I think this will help out alot of ppl that are debating which muffler to go with.

I've seen that done on other forums and it is a great idea. Post engine details, headers, and specific exhaust.

Okay, after much study, evaluation and questioning of the masses, I settled on Magnaflow's #15816, 2.5" stainless exhaust system....... Laurel Mountain Mustang listing on ebay.... $499 with free shipping and $10 added to the bonus bucks program. Thanks for the input gents!!!

New to the website and already love it.

As far as the exhaust sound goes I have Magnaflow and love the sound. I plan on buying a kit for my classic truck in the future. Having said that my car is currently in pieces getting sheetmetal repairs done.

I did find a sound clip on the Magnaflow site not sure of the exact setups.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?year=1967&make=Ford&model=Mustang&partnumber=15816

Oh and I forgot I have a friend that has a 67 Convertible Shelby clone running the exact system you are looking at buying. He loves the sound of it but he had to buy extra pieces to modify it since he's running an 04 supercharged 4.6L and Griggs suspension.

I have been looking at that setup (Magnaflow 15816) as well -- saw your post and thought maybe that is a sign. Checked them out on E-bay saw the $499 price and thought that is a good deal. Then today I got a 25% off coupon from Amazon for any Magnaflow product -- couple of clicks later cost was $437. Should arrive next week.