Sign in to follow this  
ramair351

NPD hood molding anybody?

I ordered a 1970 front edge hood mldg from NPD , part #16856-5a. they say in the catalog, 'not the best repro, but all thats available' has anyone ordered one of these? the one i got looks like its from a totally different car, wrong angles, wrong taper, wont even bolt on! I dont know if the manufacturer is blind or they sent me one mis-packaged.

Unfortunately that's the standard response for the front edge molding. Even worse, I need to get one.I was going to drive down to NPD in Ventura to get one along with other stuff, but i kinda wonder if they have even one good one in any of their locations.

Bob

Ah yes i ordered one from npd last year was $100 plus $40 to ship because the box was so. BIg. The molding wasnt even close to correct and wouldnt even fit my hood. I then thought since my car was build in 69 that maybe my hood lip is a 69 but i have yet to order a 69 version to test. Mine is in good shape with one minor ding right where the middle of the hood crest meets. Its aluminum and im sure with a hammer and anvil this can be fixed. Im saving this tast for when the weather warms up. Let us know what other options are out there.

Bought one for my 69 ...crimped at the ends...wrong taper...bent it to match and the bottom got a little wave in it now..only on the bottom.....i would have to say it looks better than a 40 year old smashed one....but for the price it was not to bad...i would try to find someone that would repair OE trim if it was not a driver....

I had the same problem, the ones NPD is sending out are not for 69 or 70. I had to go to another vendor and bought the Corvex moulding, it is still very thin and does not fit correctly but is the best out there unless you try for NOS.

I had a perfect 70 hood molding, my garage door hit it and put a huge dent in it. I ordered the Corvex molding from NPD. It was so totally wrong I couldn't put it on my car. I sent my dented original to Marco at "King of Trim" in the LA area. He did a perfect restoration on it and all my Mach1 aluminium trim pieces. King of Trim uses the correct chemistry for a perfect finish, no dents or surface imperfections can be seen. They stand behind their work. If you can't find an original, King of Trim maybe able to.

Edited by Alan_Mac

I had a perfect 70 hood molding, my garage door hit it and put a huge dent in it. I ordered the Corvex molding from NPD. It was so totally wrong I couldn't put it on my car. I sent my dented original to Marco at "King of Trim" in the LA area. He did a perfect restoration on it and all my Mach1 aluminium trim pieces. King of Trim uses the correct chemistry for a perfect finish, no dents or surface imperfections can be seen. They stand behind their work. If you can't find an original, King of Trim maybe able to.

Thank you for this good to know info. I'm just north of him and will be contacting Marco.

Bob

yes, thats what it was corvex. it is so bad at cant be installed on the car. I called NPD today and said it must be mispackaged its so wrong, they told me, "we know its bad, its all we have", they ended up crediting me for it, and told me to toss it.

amazing with all the other nice parts made for these cars, the most VISIBLE piece of trim on the car cant be duplicated!

I ordered the hood trim for our 69 from California Mustang. It didn't fit and the weld were the ends are formed to cap the ends were rough and on one end ground through the weld. When I called they said there is only one source for reproduction parts and the quality might be better the next batch or not.

I plan to have the original restored.

is the CJPP one a scott drake moulding? their stuff is usually good. i may try and order from there too,

No it wasn't Scott Drake. If you do go with CJPP tell them to use extra packing, as my first two were damaged. Good luck.

Edited by zudman