Sign in to follow this  
murphym84

T5 conversion options and power capabilities

I am looking at doing a T5 coversion on my 69 Mach. It was originally a 4 speed toploader car. I was looking at the kit from cj pony but am wondering how much power it can take. I have a built 427 windsor that is making 565hp and 534tq. I would like the t5 but am not sure if it will hold up to the power my engine is making. Any options or advice would be appreciated. I would like to just get a kit to make it easier. It seems like tracking down all the parts would be a lot of work.

I purchased and waited, waited and waited for a Keisler RS600.

Very minor mods required to drop it in. Came complete with everything!

Price - very fair and worth it compared to scrounging up all the special parts and customizing a shaft etc... Just didnt have the time to do that...

Was it worth it - yes... Suggest calling them and asking what the backorder status is but, would I do it again - yes..... should have done it when I had the motor stroked and dropped it back in.

I have a T-5 behind my M-code 351C-4V. Mine came from a '94 Mustang GT and is probably one of the stronger T-5's built as far as torque ratings go. My engine is mostly stock and is around 250 rwhp. If I had your hp I'd most definitely go with a stronger transmission than the T-5. Mine's fine but I don't abuse it much either .... okay other than an occasional 2nd gear tire bark (LOL). The modern 5-speeds are really nice behind older classic cars. The lower gear ratio's give you more dig and the overdrive really drops off the rpms during cruising.

:thumbup:

Thats what I was thinking on my windsor. Its putting down good numbers and just wanted some real world experience with whats available as well as what people are using. I am also looking at a hydraulic clutch setup but am not sure if its worth the money.

If you are buying (or someone buying for you) the t5 be careful which one you get. Try to get one after 1990 they are stronger. Also, people seem to recommend 93 and before b/c the 94-95 are a little different. But a 94 and 95 can be used. If possible, get a z spec but they are not sold used too often. Lastly make sure you get one that is made for a 8 cylinder.

Has anyone heard of heat problems with longtube headers melting the clutch cable on the Tremec conversion kits. Modern driveline recommended a hydraulic setup but I would prefer the cable set up since I already purchased it.

I just recieved a quote from Keisler about 2 min. ago for a TKO-600 "perfect fit" set-up, I am wanting to build a 427W and specked out a trans that would handle 600 pound feet of tourque. The quote included everything to convert an auto to a stick, minus the flywheel, with a hyd. clutch mech, quick time bell housing, 10.5" stage 3 clutch, drive shaft, trans mount... for $5705.00 to my door. I had a sS-700 quoted a while back, and it was allmost the same, like $200.00 more, shipped. I have read good and bad things about them, haven't ordered anything, just two quotes.

Agree on Modern Driveline. That is who I went with and they really have it all figured out in the conversion department. They will tell you too, just like they told me, a T5 will not hold up well with your engine power. I went with a Tremec TKO 600, hydraulic clutch and all.

You are well north of the power handling capability of a T-5 with that motor. The TKO 600 has it's detractors but I'm not one of them, mine shifts like butter right up to 6K. Shop the parts needed for the swap seperately and you'll save some quid.