Sign in to follow this  
Mach1_Kidd

1969 Roof Emblems

Hi. I am new to the group and just bought a beautiful 1969 Mach 1. I have founds tons of great info on this site so far and am VERY glad I signed up.

What I am having trouble with is the truth about the roof emblems. The car I have has them and its a numbers matching Mach 1. The previous owner told me he put them on because he liked them. I have researched several places to find the facts. I have seen both reponses. 1- Mach 1's did not have them and 2- Mach 1's did have them. Can anyone tell me for sure what the truth is. Thsi car has less than 45K ORIGINAL miles on it and I'd like it to be correct... despite the monster buit-in flairs someone in the past had put on for road racing. Check-out my album. They are really cool.

Thank you all for your time. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute something worthwhile sometime.

Kidd

Everything I have seen (written and photographs in several different "authoritative" publiations) support the argument that ALL 1969 Fastbacks (to include the Mach 1) had the roof emblems.

This, of course, does not include the Shelbys.

BT

Prayers1 and Cobra;

Thank you so much for your fast response to my question. I was definitely confused on the issue. I figure the folks here on 1969Stang.com are the most informed bunch around.

I have had a very wide spread of cars over the years, from many makers. My all time favorite is this Mach 1... I feel like the most fortunate person on the earth to have lucked into this Stallion. Built and lived in San Jose CA all its life... totally amazing specimen. To me, its better than a barn-find... because I own it!!!!

Kidd

All 1969 fastbacks (Mach 1, Boss 429, GT, plain jane) had the roof emblems. The exceptions were the Boss 302 cars (also had the fake quarter scoops deleted) and the Shelby's. In 1970 none of the fastbacks had the emblem.

Maxum;

Thank you for the clarification. I really appreciate it.

AWESOME ride BTW!!!!!

We may run into each other sometime. I have plenty of friends in Colorado and we make it back there several times a year. Mostly around the Denver area but we sneak out into the mountains as often as we can and even into Wyoming to see some long time buddies.

Kidd

All 1969 fastbacks (Mach 1, Boss 429, GT, plain jane) had the roof emblems. The exceptions were the Boss 302 cars (also had the fake quarter scoops deleted) and the Shelby's. In 1970 none of the fastbacks had the emblem.

Agree with maxum96. We are the original owners of a 69 Mach 1 and the roof emblems were standard equipment.

2wpm1c3.jpg

Agree with maxum96. We are the original owners of a 69 Mach 1 and the roof emblems were standard equipment.

2wpm1c3.jpg

Another important bit of info in that picture: The horse should be running towards the front of the car, just like in the picture (and on the inside door panels). A lot of people have them running the other way, because that is the direction it runs in the grille (and steering wheel), which is wrong.

Another thought here on this, is if you have the total quarter panel replaced, the 2 posts do not come with the quarter, but the body shop says they have a tool that they can use to put those posts back on to hang the emblem. Just a thought, and some asking around at the body shop. I have a quarter panel up in the garage I bought new in 1974, from our area Ford dealer, and it does not have any posts on it. I never did get around to replacing it, but now that I have started the restoration, I will put it to good use. :)

Edited by Nightowl

Fvike, NighOwl and Gnatsum... some real nice information about or 'Stangs.

• The direction of the horses running... good catch... most folks wouldn't notice that.
  • The posts not part of the qtr... I hope I NEVER need this info.:ohmy:
  • All but Shellby's and Bosses had them. That's 2 hits for that fact... sounds true to me and I've heard no disbutes so far.

Once again... thanks to all who have took the time to respond.

Kidd

Another thought here on this, is if you have the total quarter panel replaced, the 2 posts do not come with the quarter, but the body shop says they have a tool that they can use to put those posts back on to hang the emblem. Just a thought, and some asking around at the body shop. I have a quarter panel up in the garage I bought new in 1974, from our area Ford dealer, and it does not have any posts on it. I never did get around to replacing it, but now that I have started the restoration, I will put it to good use. :)

You have a panel that you bought new in 1974 that you are just now getting around to using? :ohmy: Damn! I'll NEVER complain at the complete snail's pace of my rebuild. :blink: