Sign in to follow this  
kenbrackins

Paint estimate

My 69 Mach is in decent condition. some dings, very very little rust. Apron under battery needs replacement. All chrome needs to be re-done or replaced. Body parts need to be removed and prepped because so many layers of paint. Hood hinges and door hinges probably need replacing. I want a excellent quality paint job (white/black-base coat -clear coat) I understand without seeing the vehicle it is impossible to give me an exact amount but what kind of dollar range should I expect for a nice restoration of the body/paint? Thanks.

With such limited info I would give you a wide range. You say "nice restoration" and I think anywhere from 4,500 to 10,000. Depending on the hours involved and the shop rate obviously. I am basing this estimate assuming you want someone else to do the work.

Before I purchased my 69 Mach I inquired about pricing for a complete stripping, engine removal, body panel corrections, repaint, engine and under carriage detail. Fortunatley I found a car that did not need all this work, however it was good information to have while shopping. The pricing ranged from $14,000 to $23,000 for "show car" quality results.

Thanks for the information. I was quoted 6,500-8,500" for the job to be "right". I thought that sounded a bit high but its been a while since I had a car painted. There is more to it than just the paint even though I have taken care of most of the mechanical issues. I just wanted to get an idea. Sounds like that is a reasonable quote then. Thank you.

That sounds about right for a shop. If anyone lives in PA or MD I would be glad to give them the name of my painter. He has done several cars for me and they turn out the way I want. He has a booth at his house and can do anything from show quality, to quick flip, to just standard repair jobs. He charged 2,000 to take my recent 69 from crappy body work to show quality with some custom touches and installing all the glass and trim.

Edited by jeepcj7304
forgot to add something.

Thanks for the information. I was quoted 6,500-8,500" for the job to be "right". I thought that sounded a bit high but its been a while since I had a car painted. There is more to it than just the paint even though I have taken care of most of the mechanical issues. I just wanted to get an idea. Sounds like that is a reasonable quote then. Thank you.

That's in the ballpark for what I'm paying, and what you've mentioned sounds similar to the scope of what's being done to my car. Body stripped the rest of the way from where I started it, paint stripped, engine bay repaired, rear quarters and trunk floor repaired, minor door rust repaired, body work, base coat/clear coat paint and sanded.

Just received an estimate 2 weeks ago for body work and paint here in North Carolina. The guy came over to the house spent 45 minutes rubbing his hand over every inch of metal. I have seen his work. After spending all this time making this car rust free and brand new, it would be a shame to settle for anything less than a quality job. When he was done, this was his estimate

Bodywork Labor:$4500 - Block and Primer 3x's ($45hr)

Materials: $1500

Paint Labor:$1200

Paint Material: $1000

I had an idea of about $5000. He told me to get other estimates and I will however I trust this guy to do a fantastic job. The job should start in January 2012.

I recommend that you see some of the work of who ever you decide to use. Good Luck

agree with ya Junior... I use a local guy in Raleigh. One man operation. Perfectionist....

does take his time though but it is well worth it in cost and quality.

He also has done my 65 corvette and 73 eldorado...

Hell, he is the only person I will ever take a car to.

There are people like this everywhere... KenBrackins it might help if ya posted where ya liverd.....

1. Dont go to a collision shop. find the guy who is a one or two man opperation that has the 'passion' for older cars

2. plan on dropping 8-10 for a good job on doing the exterior top panels, no floors, etc.

Yeah, I had a guy identified in the Columbus Ohio area when I still lived there. The shop here doing my ride is a small operation, about 4 guys who pretty much just do muscle cars/hot rods. It's a passion, and it shows in the work I've seen them do.

in order to get you mentally prepared for....."an excellent paint job", i will give you my opinion(and its humble).

lets use a shop rate of $60/hour for labor.

chrome restore/replace - 2000-3000

materials( paint/primer/sandpaper etc) - 2000-3000

disassemble the car - 2000-3000

strip the paint -3000-4000

body work- 3000-4000

align doors/fenders/hood - 1000

paint - 1000

re-assemble - 3000-4000

colorsand/buff - 1500

i think thats a low estimate if you pay someone to do it all.

I used a guy in durham nc, small shop does good work, my estimates ran from 5,000 to 15000 depending on what you wanted him to do. Changing body colors of course was way more expensive. The paint color was alot too. Red of course is way more expensive and I went with a velocity red and of course that was even more because it was a tri-coat. My red paint was about $400.00 a pint and it took around a gallon of paint, then they went with a show quality clear coat just the cost of the paint and clear coat was around 1700.00, I can only imagine if you did house of color paint..... Good luck.

Mad in NC, did you find a place around here to rechrome... I have been looking but have not found anyone.