Nightowl

Battery tray

I took out the battery tray today out of the mustang. I noticed that I will probably have to replace that section of apron, but what kind of struck me was there was another piece of metal underneath the apron, that the battery tray bolted to. I have owned this car for almost 40 years, and it has hardly been out in the weather since I bought it. Is this a stock piece? I looked on CJ's site, and see nothing that even looks close to it. I believe it is the 24F battery tray. I will take some pics of it, and post them on here.

That looks just like the old rusted out one, and they have the Unuts with them.

Just wondering of you need to pull the engine to put a new apron in? I am sure it would be easier with it out, but could it be done with it in? I would do the whole side, but I really don't want to pull the tranny and engine to do it. I am running out of space to put stuff, and adding an engine stand to the mix with all the motorcycles that I work on, just doesn't leave alot of room.

That looks just like the old rusted out one, and they have the Unuts with them.

Just wondering of you need to pull the engine to put a new apron in? I am sure it would be easier with it out, but could it be done with it in? I would do the whole side, but I really don't want to pull the tranny and engine to do it. I am running out of space to put stuff, and adding an engine stand to the mix with all the motorcycles that I work on, just doesn't leave alot of room.

I recently replaced the battery apron on my '70 Mach 1. Boy, I can't imagine doing it with the engine in place. I'm not saying it's impossible. But I'm wondering if you'd be able to get a drill in there to remove the spot welds. I'm also wondering if you could get a welder in there to do the plug welds.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to give it a try. If it's not working, then pull the engine. I would certainly recommend removing all wiring and hoses in the area.

I happen to have everything off and am actively restoring this area now.

I've attached some pics of mine - still in relatively ok shape. Mine had a lot of rust right in the middle (brought on probably mostly by Fords' overuse of spot-welding lap-joints - which actually encourages rust development).

pics 1, 2 & 3 are from wheel well side, camera progressively lower (looking more upwards) in each shot. Last shot is from directly overhead (looking down) -I've already ground out a fair amount of the rust in the apron above this tray.

Your pics also show the bolt on tray (goes on engine side) - that is easily replaced for less than $20. The bolt on tray is not pictured in my shots.

The support tray is an original part. They were welded in place. I think separating this part from the apron would be pretty tough.

Interesting that the CJ pony repro doesn't have the welded on square nuts like the original. I think it would be a bear to hold a nut underneath this plate while loosening from engine compartment.... The mansfield repro has it (or equivalent tho)

Don't really know about replacing the apron with engine in place - seems like it would be really hard to do that though....

Good luck!

Jay

Edited by JayEstes

I am having a bit of trouble with the battery/ battery tray.

I went to Napa and they gave me "the battery" and it was 12" long. Type 27? Wrong one.

Went back and they gave me another that is less than 9" long. 

I suppose it really does not matter (electrically), but the dynacorn tray is about 10 inches long. Does anyone have a Napa part number that actually fits properly?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, isn't it simply a group 24F size battery.  Group 27F size batteries were available for big block cars.  The group 24F battery is smaller than the tray it sits on.  So your 10" long tray and 9" long battery doesn't sound out of line.

I just did both front aprons and the radiator support in a 67 coupe with the motor in ,not fun .It is easy enough to weld but getting in there to grind is a total B****. The gas tank and fuel lines were  also still in place ,something else i do not like when i do aprons .

Make sure the lines are tightly caped,no fumes , if they are still in .

It's been awhile since I did anything with the tray but, as I recall. I just unbolted mine and took it out.  Four bolts total.  The support tray stayed so I guess it is spot welded in place ?  This is a Group 27 tray for the 428 car.  The tray also has a date stamp 8 3 D? also of note is that it appeared to have been zinc plated.  Brian

post-33155-0-91052300-1432949712.jpg

post-33155-0-16385200-1432949745.jpg