Sign in to follow this  
strokedwindsor

brakes

looking to get my 69 mach1 back on the road this yr. front brakes are off the car now. thinking some aftermarket brakes that fit standard spindles. maybe a step up from factory discs.. any good ideas? so many now. or i might just go OEM and keep it stock. 565 hp with 530 ft lbs..

looking to get my 69 mach1 back on the road this yr. front brakes are off the car now. thinking some aftermarket brakes that fit standard spindles. maybe a step up from factory discs.. any good ideas? so many now. or i might just go OEM and keep it stock. 565 hp with 530 ft lbs..

whoa 565/530 ... yeah i would upgrade the brakes ... check out vintage venom , Street or Track , or Mustang Steve .. you can go with 12" - 14" rotors, Cobra calipers or brembo monobloc calipers depending on what wheels you are willing to go with. several rear disc brake options also. lots of great brake products available for our vintage mustangs!:thumbup:

It sounds like you have a great power system, but the power really has nothing direct to do with the brakes. You never need aa that power to stop the car. I can understand wanting to stop a bit quicker, just in case, though. Keep in mind that if factory brakes will lock up the front wheels, bigger discs with bigger pads will not do much more than lock up the wheels maybe 1/10 second sooner. If the factory brakes are not working at 100%, go for it!

Don't get me wrong, I am all for improvements. But sometimes we oversee the obvious.

Agreed. There comes a point that bigger breaks on our cars is only adding a bling factor, not increasing braking performance. Up to that point however, adequate stopping ability is essential for safety purposes.

danno / drastk --- agreed ... i assume.. and we know what happens when we do that... that with more hp/tq that a more aggressive driving style may happen... just sayin' ... so with repeated, repeated, repeated, braking from speed, safely ... i would upgrade the brakes .. doesn't have to be bling with 14" cross drilled and slotted rotors and billet calipers :tongue_smilie:... just use better rotors / pads and make sure the overall system is up to par. ... cant wait till we come up with a ABS retro kit for our cars... just need hubs with keys so we can monitor...

strokedwindsor --- find your budget, call a few vendors, ask them questions, tell them what you plan to do with the car... do some research and go for it. lots of great options available from stock to crazy :scared:

I have to agree with Stangme428.

Having 565hp/530tq enables the car to get up to speed MUCH faster than stock, should the driver decide to play. This warrants stepping up brake performance to perform as well in hauling it back down, repeatedly. The stock Disc setups work OK, but can't be compared to an upgraded Disc braking system.

I can't say enough good things about the brakes I'm running from Street or Track.

http://www.streetortrack.com/Street-or-Track-c-1392.html

there are alot of different brands out there, I for one went with vintagevenom. I just test fitted my fr500s which are 18x9/18x10 (rear), before doing this emailed them and they said i can fit any 18x9 wheel with out a problem so long as i don't go wide on the tires which will rub against my front Valance.

my 392w stroker that I have is estimated with the right carb, headers etc..should be around 400-450hp with 380tq and im running this behind a c4 from performance automatic. Also I will be upgrading my 8' to posi along with HD axles.

GL with ur build.

there are alot of different brands out there, I for one went with vintagevenom. I just test fitted my fr500s which are 18x9/18x10 (rear), before doing this emailed them and they said i can fit any 18x9 wheel with out a problem so long as i don't go wide on the tires which will rub against my front Valance.

my 392w stroker that I have is estimated with the right carb, headers etc..should be around 400-450hp with 380tq and im running this behind a c4 from performance automatic. Also I will be upgrading my 8' to posi along with HD axles.

GL with ur build.

yep i picked up 4 (94-98) 18x9 from American muscle with 2 - 275-35/18 nitto 555r's once i see how the test fit goes ... ill order either the same for the front or a bit wider for the back depending:punk:let me know how those 18x10's are on the back .....

To clarify, I was in no way suggesting that Strokedwindsor doesn't need a brake upgrade. He definitely does, considering the power the vehicle has. I just meant that without abs, the biggest brakes won't necessarily be any better than a smaller brake package, assuming that the smaller package locks em up easily.

In summary: definitely look into a nice brake upgrade, but the biggest/most expensive kit may not mean the best braking performance for the money.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you. I'm also undecided on the brake package I'll be using for my 347 (400hp..ish)

Personally, I think all of you guys are crazy for spending that much money for brakes. I believe a good working stock 69/70 disc brake system is good enough for today’s driving. In addition, you guys with those high dollar stangs with gobs of torque wouldn’t dare to drive your car in a way to need those expensive brakes anyway.

Personally, I think all of you guys are crazy for spending that much money for brakes. I believe a good working stock 69/70 disc brake system is good enough for today’s driving. In addition, you guys with those high dollar stangs with gobs of torque wouldn’t dare to drive your car in a way to need those expensive brakes anyway.

I, for one, can tell you I DO drive my cars hard enough to need good brakes. And, you can't have brakes which are TOO good, in my opinion. I don't want brakes which are "good enough." I want them to exceed "OK". I want them to be excellent.

yep i picked up 4 (94-98) 18x9 from American muscle with 2 - 275-35/18 nitto 555r's once i see how the test fit goes ... ill order either the same for the front or a bit wider for the back depending:punk:let me know how those 18x10's are on the back .....

From what VV told me, as long as you don't get a wide tire u should have no Problem. As long as it doesn't hit the fuel line and depending on the tire width u may need a to use BFH on the inner wheel housing lol

For the front he said his partner runs 275 n the front but it hits the front valance so he recommends going with a smaller tire I may go with 245 or 255

275 is what I'm going with aswell I'll keep u posted.

I, for one, can tell you I DO drive my cars hard enough to need good brakes. And, you can't have brakes which are TOO good, in my opinion. I don't want brakes which are "good enough." I want them to exceed "OK". I want them to be excellent.

I agree, i like to be "spirited" with my cars. if u have a Stock to mild motor I think you'll be fine with stock brakes, BUT if ur going to have huge horsepower/tq like me, 392w stroker with about 400hp+ then honestly, i recommend getting larger brakes from an aftermarket company

Good brakes are a good idea. I was glad to convert to disk on front in mine and what an improvement that was. And with the weight of our cars and add more power . Better braking /brakes are a must.

X2!

Since when did being able to lock up your brakes once become a litmus test for good enough brakes? Speaking of cost, I added 13" Cobra front brakes for under $500, and Eldorado rear discs for about $100.