Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

carb to efi swap

The truck EFI isn't going to fit under the stock hood. I would plan to swap the intake and stay with a carb. If you still have the original intake, now would be a good time to upgrade to an aftermarket aluminum one since you will need to do something about the extra holes in the water passage area or it will leak.

Edit:

Just saw you have a 302, so you would need to buy a new intake.

Edited by 69gmachine

The C4 will boltup but will the computer work with it I don't know. Truck probably had and AOD or an E4OD. I'd stick with a carb setup. Your going to add way too many hedaches with the truck EFI. If you want EFI just buy one of those MSD or Mallory bolt on kits.

Other things to consider would be things like changing to a AOD tranny as long as you are at it, and the fuel pump. The fuel pump needs to be done if you go with EFI, not with a carb.

I have read mixed things about adding efi to your existing 302. Generally it provides no real advantage. Then there is the height issue as mentioned with putting a 351 efi motor under the hood.

IMO, its not worth it unless you really want the 351W long block. As others have posted, the 351W intake will not fit. The intake isn't a great of an intake anyway, and the truck cam and compression is meant for a truck. and your 69 302 should be faster anyway. The automatic from the truck is an E4OD, again great HD trans for a truck, but its a big transmission and not great for a car. You would be better off with a 5.0 roller engine from a mustang or explorer. The explorer versions are the better motor, but there are things to consider if you go that route (google GT40P) They are dime a dozen in the pull your own part JYs in colorado for $200. The C4/aod/aode/4r70w would all fit, and cams, intakes, etc are all affordable. Wiring up a factory ecu is easy. Look for the mass air a9l or a9p 5.0 mustang computers. you can use the manual or auto ECU's for your C4, but the auto versions can be less expensive.

I looked into this on my 302, and came to the conclusion that the factory carb was hard to beat on the factory block. EFI conversions do not really add much, if anything, to either power or mpg. You have to change to a completely different motor to get the real advantages.

By the way, I am considering trying to put in a efi V6 from a 92 tbird in mine. I have never heard if it can be done, but I know of no reason why it cannot. I drive my car a lot and my 302 gets around 13mpg. The 3.8L v6 will get almost twice that.

By the way, I am considering trying to put in a efi V6 from a 92 tbird in mine. I have never heard if it can be done, but I know of no reason why it cannot. I drive my car a lot and my 302 gets around 13mpg. The 3.8L v6 will get almost twice that.

I would advise against that swap STRONGLY. A 3.8L would be a DOG in your Mustang, not to mention those motors were crap to start with! I was a Ford tech for many years, and can honestly say "Don't do it!" You would have to MASH the gas just to get the car up to speed, which would ruin any fuel milage gain. Not to mention the internals are nothing spectacular.

It would be easier to go with a Fox Mustang 5.0L EFI swap, and well worth the effort in power, mileage, and drivability. That's NOT to say it's a weekend swap job though.

Here ya go..... some reading material on the subject.

http://www.mustangevolution.com/mustang-articles/swapping-a-50l-efi-t-5-into-a-classic-mustang/

Edited by Powershift