Sign in to follow this  
TALLADEGEJONNY

Decisions Decisions???

As I posted several weeks ago I was able to buy 2 69 Mach 1s.The grey/red stripe car is a 351w AT PS AC shaker car that was a car that was sold at the dealership where I was able to make a living for 19years in the parts dept.The blue one was sold in the Omaha district.Acapulco Blue 390 4spd car.It will require more bodywork.I know that it is more rare.I understand that on some occasions rare does not always mean $.It may be rare because no one bought them.My dilema is which one do I keep.I cant afford to restore both?Input?????

If they were mine I'd build the Acapulco Blue 390 Big Block w/4-speed. I love the color and Big Blocks with 4-speeds just rock. It probably has a Nodular 31 spline rear-end too.

I doubt you'll make any money restoring either one of these two unless you do all the work yourself...then again your time is money too.

Let us know which one you end up keeping and post the one for sale in the classified area. Someone here may want it. Maybe me. ;-)

OK then, I'll be the one to play devils advocate and go against the grain. I prefer a stroked out 351 over a BB in general and this car seems to have more options and a personal attachment of sorts from the DSO. For me if I was going to build a BB car I'd want at least a 428 to work from. The 390 was really a stop gap for Ford to go BB in the Mustang, it was better suited to the T-Bird IMHO and the 428 is just where the action is and always will be with the Mustang. Not to mention that if you are looking to sell off one of the cars then putting up a car marketed as a BB Acapulco blue 4spd is probably a larger target audience and will fetch more cash to use restoring the other car.

I was going to post about the same thing as Pakrat before I read his post.

I'm kinda nostalgic and having a car from the dealership you worked at would add personal value for me, not to mention all the options is has on it including the shaker, PS, AC, etc. I could take or leave the AT. You can stroke that 351W to 408 and get big block power in a lighter package.

I might change my mind if the other car was a 428 though. The Acapulco Blue is one of my favorite colors.

oh and:

This thread is worthless with out pictures.

Edited by TexasEd

I bought a 65 coupe a few months ago. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was manufactured on my wedding anniversary. After my wife found out she decided it would be her car when I'm finished with it.

My personal preference would be the pastel grey car. I saw my first one at a car show just a few weeks ago and I thought it looked great with the red stripe on the side.

Is the 390 in the same condition as the 351? If so, I'd be going with the 390. The personal attachment you'll have to the car after a complete rebuild I think will be more then the fact it was sold from your old workplace.

To me the options are either a stroked 351 with all those options. Or the 390 which have some amazing stroker kits available too, with the options added? It's not hard to add PS, PB and shaker to the 390. The thing is it will always be a 390 car. But just how concourse will the car be and will changing and adding options to it really bother you?

I tend to get sentimental attachments to things of the past too so can understand. But in the end which will put the biggest smile on your face once done?

The 390 car had the disc brake/steering box/system sold off of it at some time.Someone put a drum setup back on it with no tires so the front sat in the moisture for YEARS.So it will need floors and front frame rails.The plus to it is the reinforced shock towers are PERFECT.

Either way you're looking at a lot of metal work with both cars. The reinforced shock towers have to be a big bonus to have.

Welcome to the skinned knuckles, lots of swearing, FE owners club, haha!

well some of us just never learn then, because I still skin my knuckles and I don't even have a BB!

I don't like BB cars because they're just so heavy and hard to work around. I would take any valuable parts off the 390 car and put them on the Windsor before selling it. If you like Acapulco blue, paint the Windsor car that color!

Aint that the truth....haha

+3. If you can get to all the header bolts from the top, and can change spark plugs without taking the valve covers off, the engine isn't big enough! If 390 isn't enough cubes for you, then talk to Barry at Survival Motorsports (http://www.survivalmotorsports.com/FE-Engine-Kits.html) and turn that 390 into a 445, or even 505 stroker!