1969mustang

Will my RPM Air-Gap Fit under the hood?

Hey guys I am trying to figure out if my intake is going to work with my factory hood without any mods. I am running a 351w and I've got a Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake manifold. I am planning on going with a mighty demon carb (if possible) and whatever type air filter that will fit. I'm not wanting to modify my hood, it is the factory hood with no hole cut out in it. I know they a pretty tall intakes and I am hoping someone has this same set up and can give me some advice

Thanks,

Drew

I have one in my convertible. With a very short air cleaner element it barely clears. You can also use a drop base air cleaner depending on your carb. It wont work with my Quick Fuel carb. I am going to bite the bullet, cut the hole, and put a 429 scoop on. I have a Jeep to drive when the weather is crappy.

I have the Performer RPM (not Air Gap) on my 302 car. With a 1/2 inch spacer and a Summit carb, it barely fits. The air cleaner wing nut rubs on the hood. I don't know if the Air Gap is taller, or the difference height difference between 351W and 289/302 versions.

I tried to check clearance recently when I rebuilt my 351 windsor and with the stock drop base aircleaner it was hopelessly too tall. It was so bad I did not even bother to try looking at other air cleaners. I measured the difference between the stock carb base height and the airgap base height and it was like 4 inches taller, and that's alot! But where there is a will there is a way.

It can be made to fit with a lot of work but it will come really close to the hood. I made my own motor mounts and air cleaner using a dropped base on my 427 windsor, rpm air gap mainfold with Quick fuel tech. carb.

p2090002.jpg

p2090004t.jpg

Cruzzar, that is a great looking engine bay! The air filter sets it off also.

How much did you drop your engine with those mounts?

Do you know how tall your filter is above your carb?

Also, does anyone know if there is any height difference between the carbs? (Demon, Edelbrock, Holley, Quick fuel etc.)

Thanks,

Drew

Edited by 1969mustang

1969mustang,

I just went through the same thing on my 69 Mach1. 351W, stock hood, RPM Air Gap, Holley 700CFM DP carb. I could not get an air cleaner filter combo of any size to work. There was ony 3/4" between the hood and the top of the carb choke horn. The best I achieved was about 3/8" hood to air cleaner lid clearance. Increasing hood to cleaner lid clearance put the lid too close to the carb choke horn. After all that, Summit Racing accepted the manifold back as a return and I installed a Torker II. An Edelbrock tech told me from personal experience there isn't enough room to correctly fit an air cleaner. I should have listened to him. Unless you want to do alot of mods look at other intake manifolds.

1969mustang,

I just went through the same thing on my 69 Mach1. 351W, stock hood, RPM Air Gap, Holley 700CFM DP carb. I could not get an air cleaner filter combo of any size to work. There was ony 3/4" between the hood and the top of the carb choke horn. The best I achieved was about 3/8" hood to air cleaner lid clearance. Increasing hood to cleaner lid clearance put the lid too close to the carb choke horn. After all that, Summit Racing accepted the manifold back as a return and I installed a Torker II. An Edelbrock tech told me from personal experience there isn't enough room to correctly fit an air cleaner. I should have listened to him. Unless you want to do alot of mods look at other intake manifolds.

1969mustang,

i'm a little surprised to read the 351 air gap is that tight. during mock up of my 351W w/Vic Jr. i had to find a way to get the air cleaner height to what's shown in the following pictures in order to allow space for the shaker midplate to fit underneath the hood.

IMG_52582.jpg

IMG_52542.jpg

IMG_52532.jpg

i'm a little surprised to read the 351 air gap is that tight. during mock up of my 351W w/Vic Jr. i had to find a way to get the air cleaner height to what's shown in the following pictures in order to allow space for the shaker midplate to fit underneath the hood.

IMG_52582.jpg

IMG_52542.jpg

IMG_52532.jpg

IMG_52582.jpg

IMG_52542.jpg

IMG_52532.jpg

Also, does anyone know if there is any height difference between the carbs? (Demon, Edelbrock, Holley, Quick fuel etc.)

Thanks,

Drew

I measured my Carter AFB (edelbrock) and Holley from base plate to choke horn and the AFB was around 3/4" shorter. Wasn't enough for my liking. I could not see the point in having well breathing intake with a poor breathing aircleaner setup.

Thanks,

Drew

I measured my Carter AFB (edelbrock) and Holley from base plate to choke horn and the AFB was around 3/4" shorter. Wasn't enough for my liking. I could not see the point in having well breathing intake with a poor breathing aircleaner setup.

Thanks,

Drew