1969mustang

Will my RPM Air-Gap Fit under the hood?

Lemon Owner, I thought about that also but then I found the filter lids that k&n and summit make.

Buckeye demon that victor jr. Looks like it would possibly fit under a regular hood. I looked up base height of the victor jr. And the airgap. The jr. Looks to be a little taller than the air gap.

Thanks for the info guys and the pics are very helpful! More info and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

Lemon Owner, I thought about that also but then I found the filter lids that k&n and summit make.

Buckeye demon that victor jr. Looks like it would possibly fit under a regular hood. I looked up base height of the victor jr. And the airgap. The jr. Looks to be a little taller than the air gap.

Thanks for the info guys and the pics are very helpful! More info and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Drew

Drew

1969 Mustang, My '70 FB was originally a six so I have no idea how much lower it is than stock but the air cleaner that I ended up using is a K&N 2 3/4" tall element (#KNN-E-3720 thru Summit). Again, it took a lot of work to get everything to fit under the stock hood. I had to go to a countersunk, flat head stainless bolt to hold the aircleaner lid down because a regular hex head would have hit the underside of the hood. I put a piece of wadded up tin foil on top of the aircleaner lid and closed the hood and it squished the foil down to about 3/16".

1969 Mustang, My '70 FB was originally a six so I have no idea how much lower it is than stock but the air cleaner that I ended up using is a K&N 2 3/4" tall element (#KNN-E-3720 thru Summit). Again, it took a lot of work to get everything to fit under the stock hood. I had to go to a countersunk, flat head stainless bolt to hold the aircleaner lid down because a regular hex head would have hit the underside of the hood. I put a piece of wadded up tin foil on top of the aircleaner lid and closed the hood and it squished the foil down to about 3/16".

BuckeyeDemon,

What type carb did you have on there when these pics were taken?

Thanks,

Drew

holley DP.

i can't remember if i had the TKO in at that point or not (TKO dded something like 0.5degrees more engine angle and stuck the nose of the air cleaner up higher making things worse). i also can't remember if i had already modified the neck of the drop base air cleaner at this point or not.

in this pic, i believe 1/4" had been milled off the intake manifold carb flange. i ended up adding a 1/4" spacer back in (messed up somewhere....).

FWIW, inside the shaker base, I'm using a 14" X 2.875" filter element. (which is larger in both dimensions as compared to a factory shaker).

maybe the factory holes for my motor mounts are lower in mine than everyone elses???

IMG_5427.jpg

BuckeyeDemon,

Thanks,

Drew

holley DP.

i can't remember if i had the TKO in at that point or not (TKO dded something like 0.5degrees more engine angle and stuck the nose of the air cleaner up higher making things worse). i also can't remember if i had already modified the neck of the drop base air cleaner at this point or not.

in this pic, i believe 1/4" had been milled off the intake manifold carb flange. i ended up adding a 1/4" spacer back in (messed up somewhere....).

FWIW, inside the shaker base, I'm using a 14" X 2.875" filter element. (which is larger in both dimensions as compared to a factory shaker).

maybe the factory holes for my motor mounts are lower in mine than everyone elses???

IMG_5427.jpg

BuckeyeDemon,

Thanks,

Drew

holley DP.

IMG_5427.jpg

Buckeye

Any chance you would be willing to provide measurments from center bottom of flange of intake manifold to top of shaker front and back.I am in the process as well of lowering my shaker assembly and it would give me a very good idea if I will be able revise as per my plan.I understand their is other considerations beside only dropping the air cleaner assembly ie:drop motor mounts,engine angle ect.But as I decided to go with a shaker after the motor was removed It would be benificial to know what has worked for you.

Buckeye

Any chance you would be willing to provide measurments from center bottom of flange of intake manifold to top of shaker front and back.I am in the process as well of lowering my shaker assembly and it would give me a very good idea if I will be able revise as per my plan.I understand their is other considerations beside only dropping the air cleaner assembly ie:drop motor mounts,engine angle ect.But as I decided to go with a shaker after the motor was removed It would be benificial to know what has worked for you.

Buckeye

The K&N or similar filter lids won't help with hood to lid clearance. With a Holley carb with choke horn assembly on top of the Air Gap Manifold on a 351W there is only 3/4" clearance between the hood and top of the choke horn. Without extensive mods you can't obtain adequate hood to lid clearance and lid to choke horn clearance. Holley recommends 1" clear above the bowl vents and choke horn.

The K&N or similar filter lids won't help with hood to lid clearance. With a Holley carb with choke horn assembly on top of the Air Gap Manifold on a 351W there is only 3/4" clearance between the hood and top of the choke horn. Without extensive mods you can't obtain adequate hood to lid clearance and lid to choke horn clearance. Holley recommends 1" clear above the bowl vents and choke horn.

Any chance you would be willing to provide measurments from center bottom of flange of intake manifold to top of shaker front and back.

it's a little combersome to make the measurements, but this will give you an idea. i don't run a choke.

measured from the bottom of the intake to the top edge of the midplate.

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

backside. the length of the ruler (12").

IMG_2587.jpg

Any chance you would be willing to provide measurments from center bottom of flange of intake manifold to top of shaker front and back.

it's a little combersome to make the measurements, but this will give you an idea. i don't run a choke.

measured from the bottom of the intake to the top edge of the midplate.

IMG_2587.jpg

IMG_2586.jpg

backside. the length of the ruler (12").

IMG_2587.jpg

Thanks for taking time to supply info Buckeye,much appreciated ,Gives me a good idea what will need to be done in order to start revisions.For the sake of contributing back to a forum that has members so willing to help.I am going to start revising an after market fiberglass shaker assembly with a Air Gap manifold,650 Demon carb.

Intial measurments compared aganist Buckeye proven air assembly drop tell me that I will need to drop midplate approx 2" to 3" for the Air Gap & Demon to fit under the hood.As my combo sits now: from bottom of Air Gap frontside 11.5" from bottom of manifold rear side 12.5"Addtional clearence could be gained by milling Manifold flange and lowering the motor mounts.which if memory serves were also utilized by Buckeye.

I think that the fiberglass assembly although not what some would say a preferred fabrication material choice will allow me to revise fairly easily and quickly considering other interferences such as cooling water fittings,distributor ,linkage.As the height of the carb will dictate allowable drop Im thinking that this will not be as easy as I intially thought and hats off to those who thought out of the box to make it happen.

Thanks for taking time to supply info Buckeye,much appreciated ,Gives me a good idea what will need to be done in order to start revisions.For the sake of contributing back to a forum that has members so willing to help.I am going to start revising an after market fiberglass shaker assembly with a Air Gap manifold,650 Demon carb.

Intial measurments compared aganist Buckeye proven air assembly drop tell me that I will need to drop midplate approx 2" to 3" for the Air Gap & Demon to fit under the hood.As my combo sits now: from bottom of Air Gap frontside 11.5" from bottom of manifold rear side 12.5"Addtional clearence could be gained by milling Manifold flange and lowering the motor mounts.which if memory serves were also utilized by Buckeye.

I think that the fiberglass assembly although not what some would say a preferred fabrication material choice will allow me to revise fairly easily and quickly considering other interferences such as cooling water fittings,distributor ,linkage.As the height of the carb will dictate allowable drop Im thinking that this will not be as easy as I intially thought and hats off to those who thought out of the box to make it happen.

1969 mach1,

I need to do more research but I was planning on going with a mighty demon carb which has no choke. Although it has no choke the vent tubes still stick up some so I am going to have to do a great deal of research and plan on calling technical support. I was thinking a filter lid to help the carb breath better because I am going to have to use a thin filter.

Thanks for the info,

Drew

1969 mach1,

I need to do more research but I was planning on going with a mighty demon carb which has no choke. Although it has no choke the vent tubes still stick up some so I am going to have to do a great deal of research and plan on calling technical support. I was thinking a filter lid to help the carb breath better because I am going to have to use a thin filter.

Thanks for the info,

Drew

1969Mustang,

In your case without a choke and using a filter top you can probably find a combination of filter and baseplate that will fit just fine. Check with the carb mfg. to see if the vent tubes could be shortened if needed. Just be careful when mocking it up just in case something has to be returned.

Good Luck

1969Mustang,

In your case without a choke and using a filter top you can probably find a combination of filter and baseplate that will fit just fine. Check with the carb mfg. to see if the vent tubes could be shortened if needed. Just be careful when mocking it up just in case something has to be returned.

Good Luck