Sign in to follow this  
1969mustang

My 1969 Mach 1 Restoration

Where did you get the valve covers? Wonder if they have them for a 302. The only black ones for at 302 I've been able to find are with red lettering and I yours over the red lettering.

302/351w heads are interchangeable.

I really like the black out look. It really makes the things that are shiny, stand out even more.

Got any more big plans for it this weekend?

Well I've got to work for the next 10 nights but I am sure my dad will work on it some. I'm ready to hear it run!

Update! Got the car running about 2 weeks ago and broke the cam in. Had a slight problem with the second set of points in my dual point Mallory distributor. Just took the second set of points out and broke the cam in. Going to post a video ASAP. Now we have been wiring up the alt, coil, voltage regulator, msd, etc.

Thanks guys. I felt a lot better after hearing the car run. I haven't ever mentioned it on here before but we have done a ton of work to it over the years. If I can dig up some pictures I will be sure to post them. We replaced 3 floor pans, the whole right rear quarter panel where it was smashed in. When I say right rear quarter I don't just mean the skin. We had the corner of the roof hanging and replaced the inner and outer fender well, the piece that goes between the inner fender and gas tank, the whole Skelton on the inside of the fender which came off of another 69 fast back and the skin. The quarter was by far the most difficult and could not have been done without the help of a very good friend that does awesome body work. We also replaced the radiator support and the piece that connects to it and holds the battery tray. I am sure where there are a lot of things that I have left out but I noticed I have not mentioned this in any of my posts. The car has defiantly came a very long ways.

Edited by 1969mustang

Wow, Drew. That really is a lot of work prior to all this. I would love to see any photos if you come across them, I'm finding more and more things to do with mine and the more I read the more I learn.

Did you buy the car damaged or did you damage it yourself?

You should be really proud of where you are at, it's come along a long way and will be something to hold on to and be proud of!

Wow, Drew. That really is a lot of work prior to all this. I would love to see any photos if you come across them, I'm finding more and more things to do with mine and the more I read the more I learn.

Did you buy the car damaged or did you damage it yourself?

You should be really proud of where you are at, it's come along a long way and will be something to hold on to and be proud of!

Well Ash I have never actually seen the car fully assembled. To give you and idea of how long it's been, I'm 22 and my dad says that when I was about 4 or 5 we went for a ride in it before he started tearing it down.

My dad bought the car in the early 80s when he was in high school and it had no engine in it. Right after he got it running and a new paint job a lady ran a stop sign and he hit her. The front end was replaced, then a few years after that a drunk man ran a stop sign and hit him in the right rear, and of course in both of those incidents they had no insurance and he didn't get any money out of them. The last wreck bent the rear end housing and crushed the whole right rear quarter all the way up to the roof. He then replaced the 9 inch rear with another and he and his auto body teacher at trade school did a bondo job and he drove the car some and drag raced it some. In later years when I came along he gave me the car and it has seemed like a life long project. I remember helping replace the floor pans when I was about 10 or 12 and then the quarter. From the age 12 until I was about 20 I got mustang parts for Christmas From my Dad haha.

Edited by 1969mustang

That's absolutely awesome, Drew!! So I think it'll be safe to say you wont be getting rid of this one. Haha! What a keeper and what a great way to grow up. I'm hoping the same for my little two, to be surrounded by classic Mustangs from a young age. I would love them to have their own one day, before I go and pass mine onto them anyway. And the whole idea of giving Mustang parts for Christmas sounds like my kind of Christmas, love it!!

Didn't realise you were only 22, good to see you and your Dad do so much together. I'm 30 and my Dad helps with all kinds of things but I don't get to spend much spanner time with him. We use to more when I was younger and lived at home. That's something else I'd like my kids to grow up with.

That's absolutely awesome, Drew!! So I think it'll be safe to say you wont be getting rid of this one. Haha! What a keeper and what a great way to grow up. I'm hoping the same for my little two, to be surrounded by classic Mustangs from a young age. I would love them to have their own one day, before I go and pass mine onto them anyway. And the whole idea of giving Mustang parts for Christmas sounds like my kind of Christmas, love it!!

Didn't realise you were only 22, good to see you and your Dad do so much together. I'm 30 and my Dad helps with all kinds of things but I don't get to spend much spanner time with him. We use to more when I was younger and lived at home. That's something else I'd like my kids to grow up with.

Haha nope I don't plan on getting rid of this one! Maybe I can pass it on to my kids one day when I have some. I like getting to spend time with my dad working on it. My grand dad is 82 and he helps a good bit too, I think he might be more excited about the car than I am. It defiantly has been a great experience for all 3 of us.

I didn't have any complaints about getting car parts for Christmas lol

That is going to be a very nice ride. You guys should be very proud. I think those nice open yards and surroundings are going to be woken up by the sound of that grumpy V8 quite often very soon! Well done!!