Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

Mustang Illustrations

When I'm not working on the Mustang I have another hobby. I do custom charcoal portraits. Recently I decided to put some feelers out there to test the market for custom car/motorcycle illustrations.

Here are some samples of my work and my current work in progress (Eleanor). Mainly all of my commission work is for portraits of people and pets but was wondering what the interest would be for cars.

All illustrations are in charcoal and are 11x14 in size.

That's a talent =) Have you ever taken a sample out to a cruise night to see if anyone would like to have their car done? I've seen photographers walking around asking folks if they wanted a portrait done. If my Mustang was up & running I would have said yes, but was in my little MGB at the time.

How long does it take to get a picture finished?

That's a talent =) Have you ever taken a sample out to a cruise night to see if anyone would like to have their car done? I've seen photographers walking around asking folks if they wanted a portrait done. If my Mustang was up & running I would have said yes, but was in my little MGB at the time.

How long does it take to get a picture finished?

This is my first attempt at a car, so no I have never taken it out to a cruise night. I just didn't want to pigeon hole myself with just portraits (people and animals) like most portrait artists.

A car illustration takes about a week to complete versus a standard portrait that takes a few days.

Here are some samples of my other drawings.

When I'm not working on the Mustang I have another hobby. I do custom charcoal portraits. Recently I decided to put some feelers out there to test the market for custom car/motorcycle illustrations.

Here are some samples of my work and my current work in progress (Eleanor). Mainly all of my commission work is for portraits of people and pets but was wondering what the interest would be for cars.

All illustrations are in charcoal and are 11x14 in size.

How much would you charge if I wanted you to do my car?

I'll post this info for everyone if anyone else is interested.

A car illustration takes 4-5 days to complete and is 11x14 in size. The final picture is shipped with a backer board and in a clear protective sleeve inside of an 11x14 rigid photo mailer for protection.

Pictures are sprayed with a fixative to prevent smearing. Charcoal smears easily. When framing the picture it is necessary to mat the picture first. Do not frame it with the picture pressed against the glass. Pre-cut mats with 11x14 openings can be picked up at your local crafts store (i.e. Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.).

The process:

If you are interested, email me a good quality picture at Michael_J_Norman@yahoo.com

(Michael(underscore)J(underscore)Norman@yahoo.com)

I will look at the picture and let you know if it will work.

Once the picture is complete I will email you a copy of it for review and final approval. Once I receive a response of approval I will send an invoice via PayPal for the amount owed and will ship via USPS priority mail once paid.

Note: All pictures are in charcoal, so they will appear black and white. I don't do color illustrations.

Edited by Big Secz

Big Secz -- just at thought, but can you make "copies" of your work (prints?). Since you can only do black/white, a drawing of a black car and another of a 'white' (maybe grey-ish?) car would probably satisfy a lot of folks. Personally, I'd pay for a copy of a picture of someone else's '69 fastback (I'd bet a drawing of my silver sage fastback would look very similar to someone's red fastback). I don't need a custom picture, because aside from perhaps the "angle" of the picture, a charcoal drawing my car is going to look probably exactly the same as someone else's. $90 for an original, and charge less for copies -- this would save you significant time...and keep folks like me happy :D Plus, I'm sure there is enough interest in custom pictures that you'd be kept busy enough! Just my thoughts for the morning -- your drawings are great!

Big Secz -- just at thought, but can you make "copies" of your work (prints?). Since you can only do black/white, a drawing of a black car and another of a 'white' (maybe grey-ish?) car would probably satisfy a lot of folks. Personally, I'd pay for a copy of a picture of someone else's '69 fastback (I'd bet a drawing of my silver sage fastback would look very similar to someone's red fastback). I don't need a custom picture, because aside from perhaps the "angle" of the picture, a charcoal drawing my car is going to look probably exactly the same as someone else's. $90 for an original, and charge less for copies -- this would save you significant time...and keep folks like me happy :D Plus, I'm sure there is enough interest in custom pictures that you'd be kept busy enough! Just my thoughts for the morning -- your drawings are great!

There are a few issues with prints. One being the cost of sending the original out to a printer that specializes in producing art prints and then add on the cost to order a minimum number of prints, not to mention having to sit on the prints until they sold. Prints also introduce licensing and publicity risks.

Artists can sell original works of celebrities, license products such as Mustangs. However by selling reproductions of celebrities or licensed products with out permission I could face backlash for violation of publicity laws.

I will leave it up to Big Secz on whether or not he wants to post up my pic, don't want to get into a issue with the legalities mentioned above. He has my permission to post up my pic if he wants and vice versa. If he tells me I can post my pic I will share.

The drawing looks like the car is angled upward slightly in comparison to the original photo. That's because I took the picture of the drawing on my art desk with my cell phone so I probably had the camera turned slightly.

Glad you like it.

I did some more research and it appears I can in fact sell prints of my original artwork of cars/motorcycles. Main reason being that I do not include and Ford logos or use the Ford or Mustang names on the artwork.

With that said if anyone is interested in purchasing a print let me know. I will sell my prints for $20 shipped. They will be 8.5 x 11 in size and will be shipped in a protective sleeve with a backer board. Below are the current pictures I have available.