Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Is 600cfm too much?

For a 302 with a very, very mild cam and .030 on an Edlebrock Performer intake? I'm looking at getting a Holley 4160 for a good deal but I had originally planned on getting an Autolite 4100 and rebuilding it since it runs a little smaller.

Back in the day most people added the Holley 1850 (600 cfm) without problems. You may want to play around with the jets but I think you'll be fine.

Back in the 80's when I had a 68 GT Coupe with a mildly modified 302 that is the carb I ran on it & it worked fine, I think you will ok with it.

Ditto, I'm running a 600cfm Holley on my slightly modified 302 and it works great. I've got the Weind Stealth intake, long tube headers and a not overly agressive but far from stock Cam. I was running all this thru a stock size aftermarket dual exhaust and when I install the 2 1/2" system it should be even better now that the exhale matches the inhale more.

I was running a 625cfm Carter (Edelbrock) for a while. It was on a slightly modified 302 engine (0.040 over, 10:1 compression) running '68 heads with long tube headers (1 5/8" primaries to a 3" collector with 2 1/2" tubes). That ran much better than the Holley (1850) I had previously. I plan to reuse the Carter when I get the engine running again (if it is not salvageable, I will get a remaned 600cfm Edelbrock).

M/C

on the old motor 351w .030, I dropped the holley, tried another holley copy cat and finally went with Edlebrock 580CFM carb. No rebuilds, no float adjust and it ran like a beast!

then I stroked it - back to holley ~750 CFM and now fighting the dead spot due to vacuum secondaries - which will be corrected in the spring.

Ah, that's what it means. Trying to get a good description off the web is difficult. There is an adjustable version and a non-adjustable version. I'm not sure which is best for non-racing car. I just want to enjoy the car and have reliable starts and performance.

I'm also debating this 570cfm from Holley.

http://www.holley.com/0-80570.asp

I think that 570 might be a good choice for you. The slightly smaller CFM won't hurt, and there is the option to adjust the float level should it be needed. The fixed float in the other one seems like it could become an issue should the level not be quite right for your application. You will probably be lucky enough to just bolt the 570 on, and drive away.

I have the 670 CFM Street Avenger version on my 351C-4V Mach 1. The Street Avenger Series is a great carb. I did go back and richen up the jets a bit as I felt it was too lean. But it's pretty straight forward and I like mine. I would think the 570 CFM would be perfect for a mild 302.

The more I'm reading on it the more I am liking it. Good to hear it worked for you. I like having the ability to adjust things if needed. There is a used one on ebay for $175. It is 3 years old and was on a chevy. But I can get the Ford a/t kickdown and other parts pretty cheap.

I know once I get my new heads and tri-y's I'll really get to appreciate the carb.

I just put a Holley 570 CFM Avenger Carb and a Weiand Street Warrior Manifold on a 289, bored .60, 54cc heads, 194/160 valves, Comp Cam 512 lift and long tube headers and it screams. I never thought a smaller CFM would work, but after giving my specs to the guys at Holley thats what they recommended.

I originally had a Holley 600 DP and a Edelbrock F4B Manifold. The new system blows the old away.

Edited by prayers1

I just put a Holley 570 CFM Avenger Carb and a Weiand Street Warrior Manifold on a 289, bored .60, 54cc heads, 194/160 valves, Comp Cam 512 lift and long tube headers and it screams. I never thought a smaller CFM would work, but after giving my specs to the guys at Holley thats what they recommended.

I originally had a Holley 600 DP and a Edelbrock F4B Manifold. The new system blows the old away.

That's pretty close to the setup I'm working toward, though I don't have that much cam in mine and I doubt I'll go with long tubes. While doing all this reading about carbs I've seen some good write-ups about the weiand intakes. This is the one I'm looking at.

http://www.holley.com/8124.asp

1969 Mach 1, told me about the Weiand Street Warrior. With todays technology, Weiand did all kinds of test and comparisons, theres no way your gonna beat that!

There's a lot of die hards out there that stick with the Shelby stuff, but Shelby didn't have this type of technology way back then. That coupled with the 570 Avenger is hard to beat. Plus, with the 570, Holley gives you a couple of springs to make adjustments. I didn't have to, I just used it out of the box.

I also bought my stuff on StreetsideAuto, they beat everyones price, plus no shipping cost and they give you a coupon for 10% of your purchase, So one day you can order the Carb then you can apply the 10% credit to the Intake. The credit comes in an email 2-3 days after your purchase. I hope this helps!