Sign in to follow this  
Nightowl

Mach1 clock

Does anyone know where you can send these in to be fixed? I know they have a quartz movement replacement kit, but is that run on batteries instead of 12 volt battery power? I guess mine is dead, so I have to either get it fixed, or buy a replacement. Any good places to look for a replacement?

The clock still runs on the 12v from the underdash feed. The kit is pretty easy to install, just make sure you get the hands in a realistic position before you button everything up. My little hand reads like it's almost X o'clock, while the big hand is just a little past the top of the hour. I'm not going to pull the dash just to make a minor tweak like that, so it will have to wait.

Your clock's probably not dead, it just needs a good cleaning and oiling. Of course, it still won't keep very good time as these clocks were sketchy even when new. Google 'Mach 1 quartz conversion kits' and you'll see some conversion options.

I converted mine to the quartz movement myself. It was not very hard to do. But you need to be slow and careful as these instruments can be delicate. If you have shaky hands just slam a shot or two of your favorite whiskey to settle you down;) As the other guys have said you can send yours out to be converted. Tachman is one guy I have talked to and he seems to have a good rep. Bruce

Your clock's probably not dead, it just needs a good cleaning and oiling. Of course, it still won't keep very good time as these clocks were sketchy even when new. Google 'Mach 1 quartz conversion kits' and you'll see some conversion options.

2nd that, father cleaned and oiled mine and it works great.

well i had some time on my hands today, so I thought I would see if the clock would work with a cleaning of WD-40. It sure helped. That clock is running, but I want to explore into it a bit more.

When you take the shell off by prying gently on the crimps, "I think there was 4 or 5 of them" the shell came off with a little resistance, but nothing major.

The little gears are all exposed as is the whole mechanism. I really wanted to get the knob off, but couldn't figure out how to get that small gear off, so the rest of the clock base with the lens would fall away. I didn't want to pry on that, as I am not sure how it comes off. Anyone ever take that small gear off that is connected to the knob?

Anyway, I see the wheel that spins to make the second hand move. Yes, the movement is really jerky, but I thought someone said it was that way anyway.

The next thing I see is a gear that has a small spring attached to it. That gear has a contact on it or so it seems much as a points set would have in a distributor, only real small. On a closer look, there seems to be an arm with a contact affixed to it. Now those contact areas look pitted, and I was wondering if you could use an ignition file on them to file them smooth, or is that the way they are?

I hooked up a neg and positive leads to the lugs , and it took off. What I noticed, is that the gear that has that small spring will advance toward that arm with the contact on, and once they touch, the small gear is thrown back to make a gap between the 2 surfaces to start the process all over again. It takes about 1 minute, and 40 seconds to do this one cycle. What purpose is this cycle doing in relation to the timing? Does it move the red hands slowly, or is there another function to this?

I would really like to get a manual on this clock, but I am sure that's probably next to impossible.

I am going to take another clock, and have the 2 going at the same time to see how far off this clock is. An overnight run should be a good reference. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and maybe someone has the answer how to get that small gear off, so I can replace the lens. I know they are spendy, but if someone has a link to a cheaper one than 59.00, please post.

I can't help you with dis-assembly but you are correct about the distributor-like points. They can be cleaned up with a nail file or emery cloth. These clocks were made by Borg, the company who supplied almost all the clocks for the big three back in the day.

They are actually mechanical wind-up clocks, and only use electricity to wind them when the points close as you observed. I don't think the cycle time affects the time-keeping, it's regulated by the mechanical parts. As the mechanical parts get dirty and the oil dries up, they run down slower and wind up less efficiently until they finally quit altogether

I once heard something like if you have to advance the clock more than an hour, it speeds it up. Likewise for slowing it down. It supposedly had this built in mechanism for correcting it's speed. I don't know if it really works, I would doubt it.

Has anyone ever wondered what the stupid designers were thinking when they designed a clock the driver cannot see???? What a stupid idea. I don't care if mine is correct time or not, I have never been able to see it. I look at my watch.....

Has anyone ever wondered what the stupid designers were thinking when they designed a clock the driver cannot see???? What a stupid idea. I don't care if mine is correct time or not, I have never been able to see it. I look at my watch.....

There's supposed to be a woman on that side telling you what time it is, how to drive etc.

There's supposed to be a woman on that side telling you what time it is, how to drive etc.

Now that is funny. There was a saying that went around about 10 years ago, and it went like this. "I threw all the encyclopedias away because the wife is a know it all" :biggrin:

Has anyone ever wondered what the stupid designers were thinking when they designed a clock the driver cannot see????

It was probably something like:

"We are going to production in a month and need something other than woodgrain and a map light for the deluxe model, what can we come up with quickly?"

"I got it, a clock!" "

Great, throw that together in a hurry and come up with a cheaper looking one for the standard interior too while you are at it."

"You got it chief!"

I really don't know anything about the quartz conversion, but when you are all done with it, does it still run off of 12 volt? I thought I saw a post that said they had a battery in it? Just wondering.

It was probably something like:

"We are going to production in a month and need something other than woodgrain and a map light for the deluxe model, what can we come up with quickly?"

"I got it, a clock!" "

Great, throw that together in a hurry and come up with a cheaper looking one for the standard interior too while you are at it."

"You got it chief!"

Haha yea. Or maybe they had a female designer...

"There was a great deal on the shopping channel last night, buy one clock, get two free!!! So I thought, what a great deal!! I will buy a 100 !!!! But now what am I going to do with all these clocks????!!!!!

"How about we stick them in the middle of the passenger side dash and call it a Mach1!"

Besides the two spade style + and - connections is there a separate ground wire from the clock metal case to the car?

I don't think there is. The harness just has the 2 bulbs, and the connector. I am assuming the - is going to be the ground. I still have no idea how to get that knob off to replace the lens. I think I know what has to come off, but have not figured out what they would get that small gear off with,