Sign in to follow this  
Rages6971

What Paint brand?

Well I have about finished the fit-up on my 70 and am now thinking about paint. Is there any specific brand you like, and why? I’m going with epoxy primer and a base/clear system, just unsure of any differences in the paint manufactures or application process. The options appear to be between PPG, Sherwin-Williams, or DuPont. I want to pick one manufacturer and use their products for compatibility reasons. What have you had the best results with?

Adrian

I am not a painter, but I know the shop I used has tried most of them and used PPG on my car and I have no complaints. No again, someone with more experince I am sure can shed more light on the application part of the paint. Good luck!

My friend and the guy who did my body and paint only uses PPG for any of his restorations or his side insurance business. I was perfectly happy with the way my car came out, I have no personal experience with it but I trust his judgement.

I'm not recommending any brand, but keep in mind PPG carries several lines of paints. Some more budget friendly than others. So stating PPG is pretty wide open...

On a side note, i've sprayed one car in single stage and my last two in base/clear. If i were to do it again, i would go back to single stage assuming i'm spraying a solid car (i.e. no graphics/metallics).

I used to work in a shop and then went on to sell auto paint, we carried PPG,Dupont,BASF,and had House of Colors also. It is a personal prefence on these brands of paint. House of clolors was mostley a 3 stage paint(base coat,tinted clear coat ,then final clear)very hard to polish and very expensive. I likied PPG and Dupont both but found Dupont's system a little more user friendly and the cost about the same.

Buckeye from your pics your paint work came out nice did you run into a problem? Why no love for BCCC ???

PITA for what benefit?

could have just sprayed three coats of color instead of 2 bases and 3 clears. trying to overspray with base/clear is almost impossible. i can understand the benefit with metallics or if you are laying out graphics.

All very good information guys, keep it coming! I had read up on House of Kolor, and they have a beautiful product. It's just more work and expense than I need for this project.

I am not doing graphics or any metal flake, just a solid blue. I might black out the back tail light panel but not sure yet.

It is interesting about using a single stage. Wouldn't the bccc be more durable and less maintenance than a single stage color? It would require frequent buffing wouldn’t it? I guess it would be easier to touch up though...

I'm going to go hit a couple local paint suppliers and get a cost estimate for materials. Is there any place online worth checking out for supplies?

Thanks again for all the replies; It is giving more ideas and options to check out!

Wouldn't the bccc be more durable and less maintenance than a single stage color? It would require frequent buffing wouldn’t it? I guess it would be easier to touch up though...

why would bccc be more durable? seems to me, bccc will end up being thicker (more prone to chips), the basecoat (at least mine) didn't have a hardener and there is an interface layer that could become separated (ever seen clears start peeling?).

require more frequency buffing? maybe, i don't know. are you thinking it's because the toners are mixed with the clears? on all my old cars, it seems like they saw only a few hours of sunlight a week and i waxed them all the time.

easier to touch up? assuming you don't hit the basecoat then probably.

i'm no expert. i was on the fence before i just did mine. maybe someone will chime in with the reasons why on a solid color. the blue i sprayed in single stage looked great after color sanding and buffing.

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

I have been painting since I was 16 (31 years now...yikes..) and have used many different brand. I find that DuPont was the best for consistency and durability. PPG has some very good stuff as well. Sikkens also has a good line but their price point is pretty high. For my own vehicles I use DuPont.

Now if your planning on doing your own spraying you have to keep in mind that most suppliers are moving toward water based systems that require new and expensive equipment.

Dupont still has a solvent based product called NASON . Its easy to use and fairly inexpensive.