Sign in to follow this  
sportsroof69

Aluminum radiator

I need a new radiator for the 408. Right now I'm running stock radiator for a 351W, w/ AC, and an electric fan, and it's getting hot. I'm looking for reviews on some aluminum radiators. I'd like some sort of "cost effective" route, as some radiators are pretty high. I have a drivers side inlet water pump, so my lower hose is on the drivers side, and the upper hose is on the passenger side.

What are you guys running? I'd like to spend around $300.

I bought a engineered cooling products (ecp) rad off of eBay. Click Here to see one. I have a 351W (.030 over) and it runs 180deg all the time. It got to 200deg once when I got stuck in traffic for 25-30 minutes and the weather was in Mid 90's.

I've heard good things about Champion radiators too.

I know a guy that has a new Be Cool radiator (65006) that he's selling at a huge discount. PM me if you want this contact info.

Do you prefer to have a crossflow or downflow? The crossflow won't be a "drop in" solution, but provides more efficient cooling. I'm running a 19x28" Northern radiator, which is basically the Summit brand radiators for about $145. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-380428/

Do you have a 69 or 70 waterpump? Unless you go with a dual pass crossflow, you may have issues finding one with inlets and outlets on the passenger side. Here is a double pass from Northern: http://www.northernfactory.com/storefrontB2CWEB/itemdetail.do?action=prepare_detail&itm_id=11563&itm_index=2

FWIW, the 28" (actually measures 27.375") is wide enough that you'll have to relocate your battery, thus I have the 26" one linked in the dual pass Northern link. The summit link is the one I'm running, except mine has a built in cooler in the left tank.

I posted this on another thread, but this is a picture of my radiator:

231_11_07_10_6_52_07_1.JPG

I never did the writeup on here, but here is a link to the fan/shroud fabrication: http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/index.php/topic,7808.msg97591.html#msg97591

I haven't even gotten the DC Control fan controller set up, but plan on it this week. Since installing the fan and shroud, its just been running on low speed with a relay and I've never seen the needle move higher than 180°. My setup has three critical components: large surface area of radiator, larger volume of coolant (larger radiator) with high volume pump, and high CFM fan with shroud. That combination is nearly bulletproof cooling IMO. Keep in mind that fan requires the motor to be moved back with Ron Morris (or my custom mounts), but this thread is about radiators and not about fans ;)

Yeah definitely. With my T56 install I chose to move the motor back, which gained more clearance for a thicker fan. A SPAL fan would be my next choice since I couldn't get the Ford Contour fan to fit my radiator core. With a 24" wide downflow radiator, the Contour fan would've worked. With the crossflow, you have the width for the tanks on the ends, so the core width is limited (but you gain much more height compared to the downflow).

Here's my experience with Champion. I bought a radiator package from them. 4 core radiator, polished fan shroud, and electric fan. After I got my engine in and went to install the package, the fan motor was too big. I could have used the fan without the shroud by mounting it off to 1 side, but that would have looked weird, and not as effective on cooling. I called them up and tried to work something out, but they had no other fan/shroud combos to try. They said send the fan and shroud back for a refund, and I did. This was last summer, and still no refund. Also, the tranny cooler fitting cross threaded on the first try. I'm using the radiator, but am using a external tranny cooler (probably better anyway) because I didn't want to risk getting metal in the radiator by attempting to repair the fitting area. So, my experience with them was not good, but the 4 row radiator does seem to cool good and does look nice. I painted the front of it black with Eastwood radiator paint so the car wouldn't look weirtd from the front. I prefer the black-out grill area look that 69 Stangs have.

I purchased the Champion 24" version of the 3 row with 2 fans. not installed as of yet... but build quality looks to be good.. test fit went in without any problems. Hopefully it will cool my aluminum headed 408 when the time comes....:punk:

i still need to purchase a shroud and controller for the fans.

--- edit.. after reading jholmes217 post - i think ill do some research on shroud spacing and build my own shroud to mount the dual fans --

also - i have a flowkooler waterpump that exits on the passenger side.... and inlet and outlet of the rad are on the passenger side as well..

Edited by stangme428

I purchased the Champion 24" version of the 3 row with 2 fans. not installed as of yet... but build quality looks to be good.. test fit went in without any problems. Hopefully it will cool my aluminum headed 408 when the time comes....:punk:

i still need to purchase a shroud and controller for the fans.

--- edit.. after reading jholmes217 post - i think ill do some research on shroud spacing and build my own shroud to mount the dual fans --

also - i have a flowkooler waterpump that exits on the passenger side.... and inlet and outlet of the rad are on the passenger side as well..

I also had to enlarge the radiator mounting holes so it would bolt in. I also have the flowcooler water pump, and it seems to work pretty good. Between the radiator, water pump, and high flow Mr. Gasket 180 degree thermostat, the temp didn't go over 190 degrees during engine break in. I am using a Flexalite flex fan with a stock shroud.

Here's my experience with Champion. I bought a radiator package from them. 4 core radiator, polished fan shroud, and electric fan. After I got my engine in and went to install the package, the fan motor was too big. I could have used the fan without the shroud by mounting it off to 1 side, but that would have looked weird, and not as effective on cooling. I called them up and tried to work something out, but they had no other fan/shroud combos to try. They said send the fan and shroud back for a refund, and I did. This was last summer, and still no refund. Also, the tranny cooler fitting cross threaded on the first try. I'm using the radiator, but am using a external tranny cooler (probably better anyway) because I didn't want to risk getting metal in the radiator by attempting to repair the fitting area. So, my experience with them was not good, but the 4 row radiator does seem to cool good and does look nice. I painted the front of it black with Eastwood radiator paint so the car wouldn't look weirtd from the front. I prefer the black-out grill area look that 69 Stangs have.

Wow, that's good info because this looks like the exact same setup you described. I have March pulleys, and with the electric fan I'm using now, there is maybe 1 1/2"-2" of clearance between the fan motor and the pulley.

Wow, that's good info because this looks like the exact same setup you described. I have March pulleys, and with the electric fan I'm using now, there is maybe 1 1/2"-2" of clearance between the fan motor and the pulley.

I ended up using the Champion radiator, a repo fan shroud from CJ Pony parts, and a Flex-a-lite belt driven fan. I just couldn't find a electric fan package without trying to piece together something myself. For the record, my car came with a 302 2v without AC, so it has the 20 inch radiator. Maybe folks will have better luck if they are getting the 24 inch.

I ended up using the Champion radiator, a repo fan shroud from CJ Pony parts, and a Flex-a-lite belt driven fan. I just couldn't find a electric fan package without trying to piece together something myself. For the record, my car came with a 302 2v without AC, so it has the 20 inch radiator. Maybe folks will have better luck if they are getting the 24 inch.