Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Boss B9 Hood scoop

chillin.... if you decide to sell the Boss 429 scoop, let me know... i need one to replace my RACING Boss 429 scoop.... yes its that big...

Cool pics Mike. Here is my dilemma. I have an original shaker hood painted and ready to go. Rather than fight to get the shaker to line up with the hood after rebuilding my engine with an Air-Gap, I sold it on Ebay for a small fortune. I bought an aftermarket Boss 429 scoop and was ready to install it but I'm afraid of completely screwing up the underside of my hood where the studs will encounter the hood bracing. I believe I found an aftermarket cobra jet scoop knockoff (Branda) that is wide enough to cover the shaker hole and allow me to install it without disturbing the braces. The Maier eliminator hood is sweet, but like you, I don't like the fact the scoop is wider in the back. Who said building these freaking things was easy lol.

chillin.... if you decide to sell the Boss 429 scoop, let me know... i need one to replace my RACING Boss 429 scoop.... yes its that big...

Cool pics Mike. Here is my dilemma. I have an original shaker hood painted and ready to go. Rather than fight to get the shaker to line up with the hood after rebuilding my engine with an Air-Gap, I sold it on Ebay for a small fortune. I bought an aftermarket Boss 429 scoop and was ready to install it but I'm afraid of completely screwing up the underside of my hood where the studs will encounter the hood bracing. I believe I found an aftermarket cobra jet scoop knockoff (Branda) that is wide enough to cover the shaker hole and allow me to install it without disturbing the braces. The Maier eliminator hood is sweet, but like you, I don't like the fact the scoop is wider in the back. Who said building these freaking things was easy lol.

One thing i saw with this scoop is that it does not have Studs in the scoop, but its got Bosses with little holes in them, so you could technically put in 4 insted of the 6 or 8 it has, and along with the double sided tape that goes on it as well, you should have NO problem with it coming off.....Of course there is always PANEL BOND, that crap will hold anything on your car HAHA....This scoop will cover a shaker Hole with no problem im pretty sure.

I would actually like to cut this thing down about 1" But when you do that the stud bosses will be gone, they are only about an inch long :P

Still have to figure out what im gonna do, may just put it on and be done with it, may modify it some who knows....If i screw it up oh well it wasnt that expensive LOL

Mike

One thing i saw with this scoop is that it does not have Studs in the scoop, but its got Bosses with little holes in them, so you could technically put in 4 insted of the 6 or 8 it has, and along with the double sided tape that goes on it as well, you should have NO problem with it coming off.....Of course there is always PANEL BOND, that crap will hold anything on your car HAHA....This scoop will cover a shaker Hole with no problem im pretty sure.

I would actually like to cut this thing down about 1" But when you do that the stud bosses will be gone, they are only about an inch long :P

Still have to figure out what im gonna do, may just put it on and be done with it, may modify it some who knows....If i screw it up oh well it wasnt that expensive LOL

Mike

Mike

Very cool looking car. 69 fastbacks rock. Any other links to the build?

Maier Racing makes a great looking hood. It's got a Cougar Eliminator style scoop, but it's a one piece hood.

My buddy, Miles Cook, has one on his '69.....

soxyzn.jpg

Maier Racing makes a great looking hood. It's got a Cougar Eliminator style scoop, but it's a one piece hood.

soxyzn.jpg

soxyzn.jpg

Chillin, FWIW my hood was at some point in time cut for a shaker and then covered by a standard mach type hood scoop, it pretty much covers the hole perfectly, the center bolts actually only go into metal for half the thickness and the other half floats into the hole but that's more than enough to hold with all 4 corners completely pinned down.

Chillin, FWIW my hood was at some point in time cut for a shaker and then covered by a standard mach type hood scoop, it pretty much covers the hole perfectly, the center bolts actually only go into metal for half the thickness and the other half floats into the hole but that's more than enough to hold with all 4 corners completely pinned down.

That's great to hear Pak. I have made plenty of mistakes screwing with this car but not figuring out the scoop before paint ranks right up there. :confused:

That's great to hear Pak. I have made plenty of mistakes screwing with this car but not figuring out the scoop before paint ranks right up there. :confused:

Well here are a few shots of the B9 Scoop on a friends car, sorry its in white, adn sitting OVER his mach one hood scoop LOL.

Will get more pics of it on a car with no scoop LOL

Mike

Well I decided after mocking up the cobra jet knockoff scoop that I really had my heart set on a B9 scoop lol. The one I have already has studs fiberglassed into it that won't come out. It is clear that mounting it is going to require clearancing the bracing under the hood to spin the nuts on. My hood is painted and I'm afraid I'll butcher the crap out of it attempting to mount this damn thing. I probably should have a pro install it. I like how the Cervini scoop allows you to install the studs but I'm NOT buying a THIRD scoop. I have bought two of a lot of things on this project and I'm drawing the line!!!

Edited by chillininnh

Well here are a few shots of the B9 Scoop on a friends car, sorry its in white, adn sitting OVER his mach one hood scoop LOL.

Will get more pics of it on a car with no scoop LOL

Mike

Well I decided after mocking up the cobra jet knockoff scoop that I really had my heart set on a B9 scoop lol. The one I have already has studs fiberglassed into it that won't come out. It is clear that mounting it is going to require clearancing the bracing under the hood to spin the nuts on. My hood is painted and I'm afraid I'll butcher the crap out of it attempting to mount this damn thing. I probably should have a pro install it. I like how the Cervini scoop allows you to install the studs but I'm NOT buying a THIRD scoop. I have bought two of a lot of things on this project and I'm drawing the line!!!

Edited by chillininnh