Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Will it make 500 plus HP

Ok had a custom cam specd out and its on order from comp...here is what they are making for me......228/236@50...563/571 lift...Ground on a 113 CL....i am going to be running stock style roller lifters, and wanted good idle and be able to run power brakes with no canister. thats why they ground it on a 113 in case yall were wondering...Heads are the AFR 205's...they flowed 297 @ .600 and like 291@.550 in case yall were wondering....they were flowed at 28" on a superflow bench.....i will get flow sheets in a few days and will post them so yall can have a look in case any one is interested ....numbers are VERY close to advertised...if you add in a few percent for bench variations they are spot on to what AFR says.....So can i make 500 plus? the heads have the capability but will the cem achieve it......the rest of assy is all eagle crank rods and Mahle pistons....those pistons are SUPER LIGHT compared to a set of TRW Slugs LOL i never knew how much.

Mike

my first dyno pull with no tuning and a 750 HP carb peak Hp was @5700 rpms made 516 HP. peak torque was@5200 with 492 ft lbs.. last pull with a 950 HP and 1'' spacer made 562HP with 535 ft lbs of torque @5400 rpms.. AFR205s, vic jr. 240-248-624-600-110 HR cam. not sure if you will make 500? but i could be wrong.. are you dyno-ing your motor? glad i did.

You're going to be very close to 500 even if you don't go over. The most important thing is that you will make a LOT of useable power and have a lot of fun playing with it. I'm pretty sure the builder who dyno'd my engine is very generous with the results compared to other dynos. I think he thinks it makes his customers happy to see big numbers. Even if my engine makes 20 or 30 HP less than what his data print out said, what I know for certain is that it has a ton of power and is a blast to drive.

Intake will either be a Vic JR or a Super Vic, carb well i have an HP950 here i can use and can get an 800 Holley, and im sure the dyno shop has a 750...Engine is a 408, will be using dyno headers, he said they have 1 5/8, 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 i think...but im sure on the 1 3/4 headers.

Long as i can put 500 or really close i will be happy....you hear everyone touting 500 hp like its easy to get to and be streetable, i dont think people know what it costs to get 500hp and make it streetable, or even to get 500 hp and it be a race car LOL.

Louis if your reading this i plan on spanking that A$$...louie has a step bigger cam and patriot heads on a 408, and that car is a beast, pretty sure it will knock off some high to mid 11's, as it was running 12.60's with an XE274 cam and stock 69 heads, then upgraded to roller cam and the patriots, which if anyone wants an opinion on the patriots, i say go for it, they are a good quality head for a good price...we will have to take it to the track and see what she will do tho.

I plan on trying to take my 125hp top shot N2o kit with me and shooting it at least one pull to see if it will go 600 plus, pretty sure that wont be a problem :) then that will be a perminant fixture on the car.....It really seems it your not pumping out 500plus you have a really hard time taking these mustang GT's and shelbys out.

It just pisses me off that some young kid has his mom and dad go buy him a 30k new sports car that with a few easy bolt ons will lay down 500 hp and smoke most of the old REAL muscle cars.....that WILL NOT be the case where my car is concerned...least i hope not...all else fails flip the switch and hang on...just be sure its moving at least 50 mph or that little spray wont do anything but shread tires and you still loose. :(

told em i wanted to safely use aftermarket stock style roller lifters and have enough power to run my brake boostr with no canister, and has to be street friendly...i like cams with a wide lobe sep....know alot of fast cars with 112-114 lobe and low lift cams....we will see how she does in a few weeks,,,,gotta get an intake

i hear ya. im hoping my engine has enough vacuum to stop this thing i built?? or im in big S@#T!! lol. i always wanted a 500 hp engine. took me yrs to get it. this motor has been done 3 times since i bought that ford motorsports block back in late 90s!!. differant cam , heads, manifolds and now i have a 565 HP motor. my dyno guy said this thing is going to pull from 3900 to 6200 rpms!! in a hurry.. 500 ft lbs from 3900 and up...

mike,

any chance you could measure the cross section of your heads at a couple of points along the intake port? people quote intake runner lengths of various heads and based on that info your 205's are quite a bit bigger than my 192 hp's. however, i can't seem to get anyone to back it up with some real data. i'm just curious. seems like there are more people that read than do anymore.

edelbrock used to spec the cross section of the intake manifolds at the port interface. you should compare your head cross section to that spec'd for the super vic and/or a vic jr.

the super vic sits pretty tall, so be careful in your decision.

keep us in the loop. it would be nice to see some actual data from your dyno session. good luck!

The AFR Nitrous ported 205 heads kick ass, and they are not too expensive....the cam was cut to match the head flow numbers, but i asked for the 113 lobe sep to help kill some of the rough idle associated with tighter lobe seperations.

The guy that dynoed it said it had a good bit of chop to it, but looking at hte motor idling on the duno appearedd to be very smooth to me, it just had that crisp raspy lope to it LOL

I am very pleased with the performance.

But one must bare in mind that the motor has Light weight Ross pistons, and a few other things that the average build with TRD slugs might not do.

So performance might be a little bit different on another motor.

I have the Cam card if anyone wants to see it, if your interested on copying the grind.

Mike

That's a nice build. I'd love to see the torque graph if you can post up the images. I went back and forth between 185s and 205s on my 408w, and for once in my life went conservative.

Regarding the nitrous, the one thing I loved about Eleanor was "Go baby go" button on the shifter. It's so ridiculous I think it's awesome.