Sign in to follow this  
maynard444

Found a GT, is it worth saving????

OK, so I know that a sportsroof GT is the most common so that takes a few points off the top, but I found a 69 in a junkyard which looks kinda ragged out but with time and money could probably be put back together. I got a marti report on this car because it had an H for the engine code and I was trying to find out if it was a Mach or if it had options which were worth saving the car for. Imagine my surprise when the report comes back today stating GT Equipment Group. My question is, is it worth $500 for the rotten shell which still has the VIN attached. Here are some pics.

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Yeah it would take thousands of dollars to fix up. I don't know if the money would be a hang up for me though. I could collect parts while I am working on other projects. The wife wishes I would have bought this car instead of the one I did buy recently. It's actually in a little better shape than the Mach I got. Plus it's only 20 minutes away as opposed to six hours like the Mach. I have a thing for 69 Mach's though, and it still has a good amount of parts on it that could be tuened into cash if I deem the project too overwhelming. On close inspection of the GT it looks to be the floors and trunk pan which need the most work. Of course add the Murphy's Law factor in there and I could end up with a car with no original parts except A pillars and B pillars. I'll just have to see how I feel in a few months to see if I really want to climb in the restoration boat with this sinking ship of a car.

your better off finding a roller thats in better condition or a dynacorn body. If the price was right though I would take it just to have it as a spare parts car.

I hate seeing beautiful cars like that rusting away...sad.

For $500 dollars I would grab it, as long as the resistration comes with it. The VIN and registration is worth it as it could be transfered to a Dynacor shell, I am not too sure how prevalent that is, but if there are some parts on this GT that are worth salvaging, then it maybe worth it.

Good luck

For $500 dollars I would grab it, as long as the resistration comes with it. The VIN and registration is worth it as it could be transfered to a Dynacor shell, I am not too sure how prevalent that is, but if there are some parts on this GT that are worth salvaging, then it maybe worth it.

Good luck

I'm sure Unique Performance could walk someone through the process.

Oooh wait.... HA HA! Title washing, what??

It does seem sad to see a cool Stang rotting away. =(

Here are a couple of more pics I have of the car. I probably wouldn't be able to make the deal, either for the whole car or just "parts" of the car until next year. I've known the car has been sitting here for about 20 years, so I don't doubt it will stay there for a little while longer.

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

I believe every Mach built in 69 has "GT Equipment" listed on the Marti in the options list, I know mine does. You've got to check the body code, 63C makes it a Mach. A 69 GT sportsroof would be 63B, these cars had deluxe interior. I'm not sure if any 63A (standard interior) cars were built as GT's, I'm pretty sure they all had deluxe interior but I'm not positive on this point.

Edited by chillininnh
spelling

As rough as it may look, once it is pulled out, and you power wash it, you will be able to make a better assessment of the car. The true test would be to get it media blasted to see where all of the rust has attacked the body. In my opinion it would be worth the journey, especially if you can get it registered and sell it as a rolling shell, you may be able to double your money if not a little more...it depends upon whether you are enjoying the journey or your goal is the destination, as for most things I read on this site, it is the journey of building a car that is the key versus the finished product...Its great that there is no pressure on you and that the car will be there for a while longer...good luck and have fun doing whatever you decide to do....