jwscarab

Bucket Seats in '69 Restomod

Looking for oppinions on front seats for a 69 restomod. I dont want it to look all out race - more a modern. I Like the newer 2003 mach1 seats but understand they sit taller??

Im not worried about power as I am 6'5" and I will always have it all the way back and down. Although I would not rule out power. I do like to recline the seat a notch or two when I drive due to head room height.

Whats your guys suggestions?

How hard are they to bolt upquestion.gif

I have done some more searching. I think since I need the headroom and the newer seats are taller - I am leaning towards Fiero seats. I assume they recline?? Are there any reasone why I wouldnt want to use these? I may still lower and move back the seat brace too - seems easy enough!

I like to think of myself as the unofficial Grandfather of the Fireo conversion in Mustangs and highly recommend it for numerous reasons. The hot rod communtiy has been doing it for decades for the same reasons it makes sense for our cars. I did a lot of research on seat options a few years back prior to making this choice for myself and it has worked out great particulary the ones with speakers built into the headrest since I have a convertible. There are a bunch of pictures on the last few pages of my gallery here, just click on my sig banner. They do recline also which is suprising since there is a wall behind them in the Fiero.

Mr. Mikes has a website that used to only offer direct leather upgrade replacements for the Fiero patterns but now offers all vinyl and all kinds of custom designs to match more Mustang style patterns or other cars, he is very easy to work with, I am sure if you provided him with your own material like comfortweave he would work with you to do it.

Interior_005.sized.jpg

Edited by Pakrat

I used a set of seats from an 85 and got the TMI Mach 1 reproductions for that rear to give me the incline and adjustments. I also left the head rest off as well. I dont have great pics, but will try to get some if you would like.

I am 6'5" so head room is important for me.

So, let me get this correct, these seats are from a fiero, but they have been recovered in faux leather/vinyl.

I have found a pair for $200 with speakers in the headrest, is that a good price? They are beige suede from the look so of the photos.

Why Fiero, is it that they fit the seat adjustments better than other seats

Edited by unfrozen1969

So, let me get this correct, these seats are from a fiero, but they have been recovered in faux leather/vinyl.

I have found a pair for $200 with speakers in the headrest, is that a good price? They are beige suede from the look so of the photos.

Why Fiero, is it that they fit the seat adjustments better than other seats

Yes, they are in all vinyl to try and keep a stock look, I was one of the first that Mr. Mike did that on actually, usually the seat and back are leather and the rest vinyl, they were cheaper this way too. I sent him close up pics of the 2 grains and he sent me back swatches to chose from and then made them to my specs.

Price is subjective, people who have them and know they are popular for modified cars tend to ask more, $200 may not be bad in your area compared to shipping for a cheaper one further away. I found my set on a Fiero Forum, they aren't interested in them there since they like full on race seats and occasionally you find someone who thinks it's just junk. I found mine a few towns over and I think I paid like $75 for the pair and with the wiring harness for the speakers. The guy online with the Fiero ranch will ask for $200 each. The ones without speakers are cheaper and you can easily add speakers to them since the guts are the same.

The main reason they are a good choice is because they come from a car with a small limited size cabin like ours so the overall dimensions are perfect, becasue the seat bottom is lower you gain room between your thighs and the wheel as well as head room and it has just enough side bolsters to keep you planted and comfirtable without needing a 32 waist to get in. Here's a few pics showing the stock Fiero vs recovered and also next to the stock seat.

F_Seats_004.sized.jpg

Seat_compare.sized.jpg

Mr. Mikes only makes the covers, you do have to do it yourself but it is a complete kit and I mean complete, you can get started the momment it arrives. I am sure there are others, you'll have to look around and compare but I found his quality and price was hard to beat. Check out his website and look around: www.mrmikes.com

F_Seats_001.sized.jpg

New foam and batting, spray glue, hog rings and pliers, razor blades and a how too DVD. The seats are even inside out and sprayed with a light silicone to make them pullover easy.

Edited by Pakrat

I'm 6'3 and swapped these Bielstein B11R seats into my 69 Hardtop:

http://www.bf-torino.de/BF-Sitze/NURBURGRING/nurburgring.html#912

They are super low on the frames and I fit the HT even with helmet.

In my Fastback I put SCAT Rallys in but even with a custom low frame needed to lower the seat base in the floor to fit the helmet in too. To me it seems that the Fastback has a 1" lower roof line?

those look great Pak, out of curiosity how tall and big are you? I am only 5'8" with a short torso. Would these be too low for me?

Pinto seats in a Fox body Stang is a similar switch btw.

I'm just under 5' 11" and about 185lbs with a 34 waist and it's perfect, if you found the seat too low though there are a number of things you could do to raise it or you, it's not radically different than stock dimensions, just a little lower exactly where you need it most.

OK Guys! I just bought a set! They are being shipped right now. I just bought the cores and tracks - with no Fiero covers on them. They are cheaper that way. The guy I bought them from was great - sent a lot of pictures. They are perfect cores, no foam breakdown and no bolsters pushed out. The pair were $75. And the tracks were an extra $20. So I am into it $95 - but shipping was another $80 to my door.....lol. He said he would ship Greyhound for $40 so if you live close to a Greyhound thats a cheaper option. I am far from needing these seats but I wanted to squirrel away a pair before they are too hard to find!

I picked a pair of fiero seats locally for 185. Had to modify my stock seat brackets and also lowered driver's pan. Have yet to finish car but have plenty headroom and they are comfortable. I'm 6'-3" and car is a 70 Mach 1

How heavy are those fiero seats in comparison to a stock bucket seat? How much do they recline? I have a 2004 mach1 and those seats don't recline much. My 89 maxima's seats recline almost flat!

JWScarab, I should have told you that you most likely won't want to use the Fiero tracks, it is easier to modify your stock Mustang ones but maybe you'll have a different solution.

Angel, they are much lighter, I can't say by how much just that they are having lifted both of them around.

72Pstroke, You won't find reproduced by most of the vendors like other stuff but you can still find it NOS from some places, you justr have to start searching. I know wseveral who have obtained rolls of it over the years, you may even find a link buried in an old thread here.

Pak, thanks for showing the install in your gallery. Your method seems the simplest of all I've seen and I'll probably copy it.

How did you handle the 1/2" side-to-side spacing difference? My first instinct is to just put 1/4" into each side, but I wonder if there would be any benefit in shifting the seats inboard or outboard 1/2".

Also, do the Fieros seats sit further back than stock seats with your installation?

I like to think of myself as the unofficial Grandfather of the Fireo conversion in Mustangs and highly recommend it for numerous reasons.

Hey pakrat, your profile is not accepting Pm s. The gallery seems to be missing on the seats.