Sign in to follow this  
CarZombie

Pony Carbs/Life span of Carbs

I have used Pony Carbs (http://www.ponycarburetors.com/default.asp) on my 1970 convertible since 1990. My engine is a 351C, 4 barrel heads, stock cam and intake, bored .30 over (rebuild), with headers. The carb is a 4300 Autolite. Trans is an FMX. The last time I purchased/had my carb rebuilt by them was in December of 2008. For a number of reasons, the car was driven very little in 2008. I drove it a good amount in 2009, over 3000 miles and about 2900 miles in 2010. In late 2010, I noticed a HUGE bog during full throttle acceleration and black smoke pouring out of the tail pipe. I have always had a little full throttle bog, but no black smoke.

I am assuming it is time to send it back for a rebuild. How often do you have to rebuild your carb or have it done? Has anyone else had experience with the 4300 Autolite or other Pony carbs? Any suggestions for an alternative carb for this engine?

I am going through a similar process with my Autolite 4300 from Pony Carbs. The story is posted elsewhere on this forum so I won’t repeat all the details and just say that I got tired of dealing with the never ending string of problems with this carburetor.

The Pony Carbs people have been helpful to a degree, although I did not appreciate being told that some of the problems were my fault. I obsessively followed their printed and DVD instructions for a “hospital clean” installation to the letter. They will not admit that the carb they sold me is a lemon.

It’s been over a year since purchase, and the warranty is up. Sending the carb back now would be a major pain (all the more so as I am across the border in Canada), so I took the advice of a couple of our members here to dump the 4300 and get a Holley 600. I am doing the swap this weekend.

As much as I want to keep the car stock I am just sick and tired of the problems. $650 + shipping down the tubes is hard to swallow, but it will be easily forgotten once I have a reliable smooth running vehicle cruising on a warm weekend afternoon.

Regards,

T.

Can you give me a link, so I can review your problems? I thought they had better Customer Service when they were in New York. I suspect they were smaller then. My main grip is their answer is alway more advance in the ignition timing.

I had a Holley 600 in the mid 80's and HATED it. Never ran right, leaked, crappy gas mileage, etc. I would take a Pony Carb 4300 over it any day, but that was 30 years ago and a bunch of people swear by Holleys.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=8083&highlight=pony+carbs

As far as the Holley, I also had issues with them way back in the 80’s before family and career got me away from tinkering on cars. I fondly remember my old Carter as a solid carb. Now a quarter century later I am hoping that the new Holley’s are as trouble free as my research seems to indicate.

Remember, no matter what brand of carb you buy, you can't just bolt it on and expect it to run perfect out of the box. This is especially true on engines that have been modified. You might get lucky and have one run pretty good out of the box. But carbs need to be adjusted. And not just mixture and jetting. There are numerous items that sometimes need to be adjusted or changed on a carb. That's one of the reasons we all have EFI on cars now. It will adjust it's self.

>>> Remember, no matter what brand of carb you buy, you can't just bolt it on and expect it to run perfect out of the box. <<<

Of course. But one should expect that out of the box it won’t leak fuel through the float bowl plugs, not have the choke piston seize solid, and be able to maintain a steady idle speed. My Autolite 4300 struck out on these three counts, among others. I’ve repaired the choke piston, the fuel leaks, fuel filter inlet problem, etc. But there is an unknown internal condition causing idle speed to fluctuate uncontrollably. Very frustrating, and time to move on . . .

Of course. But one should expect that out of the box it won’t leak fuel through the float bowl plugs, not have the choke piston seize solid, and be able to maintain a steady idle speed. My Autolite 4300 struck out on these three counts, among others. I’ve repaired the choke piston, the fuel leaks, fuel filter inlet problem, etc. But there is an unknown internal condition causing idle speed to fluctuate uncontrollably. Very frustrating, and time to move on . . .

What I was referring to was when someone buys a brand new carb, plunks it down on a motor without doing anything other than adjusting the idle speed and idle mixture, and then bitches and moans that it's a POS because it runs rich, stumbles, etc.

Not when someone buys a rebuild carb and it has issues as you mentioned.

I have always heard that Holleys are a pain to maintain. I run a speed demon which is similar to a holley. It took a lot of tuning to get it just right. It runs great when well tuned. I will admit however, that I would have to make some adjustments every few months. Kinda sucks but I don't mind. I've heard that edelbrocks are very low maintenance. A lot of people like them for that reason. I don't like the way they look though lol.

I will add a few more options.

KP Carbs, also called Carbontootoers, has a very good reputation, and the owner worked at Pony Carbs when they were on the East Coast. I've talked with him on the phone, and he helped me by answering a couple questions about the Autolite 4100 carb. Here is his web site. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2gsgu/index.html His prices are more reasonable than Pony Carbs also.

If you want to explore using other carbs besides the Holley or Edelbrock, there are a few other options out there. The new Summit carbs have a good reputation. You could also get an Autolite 4100 and have it rebuilt. The 4300 you are running was the replacement for the 4100. The 4100 did not have provisions for emissions, so Ford switched to the 4300, but I think the 4100 was a better carb.

I rebuild my own carbs. It's not that hard. Buy a couple good books, get the suggested materials and tools, and set aside some time. With all the fuel additives in gas these days, it just seems like they need rebuilt every one or two years depending on how much you drive it and what additives are used in your area.

To the Op's question, drop a 600 Holley vac sec carb on it and set it up.

You will have better performance than the 4100.

I agree with all the new blends of fuel nowdays it is not the best for carbed engines, But made for the fuel injection cars of today.

It turns much faster if let sit for a short time and has a problem with gumming carbs which can sometimes be fixed by giving them a shot of carb cleaner down the throat and around the airhorn.

I like the Holley's because I look for the most Hp from my engine and While Edelbrocks are good for those who want more of a drop and run, they lack the get up and go that Holley provides.

As for setting them up, Well yes it takes some tuning to get them matched to your engine but once done right its a set and forget carb.

You want reliable trouble free power, just slap a 750 or 650 Edelbrock carb on it, its built very much like the carter you once had, and it is smooth and reliable, and EASY for a novice to rebuild and tune...I have had a few and have always been satisfied with them...they may give up a bit of power over the Holley but you will be more than satisfied after you dont have to mess with it once its adjusted.

Mike

Do you guys know of any other business doing concourse carb rebuilds? I have a Holley for my car I need re-done. Thanks, Bruce

Holley offers a rebuild service. My buddy had them do his Corvette tri-power setup and was satisfied with their work. I don't know what they charge.

http://www.holley.com/CustomSpeedShop/Rebuild.asp

I have nothing to add to this thread, but have heard many bad reviews of Pony Carbs. Maybe it's everyone that has problems only speak up, I dunno

I've heard a lot of complaints over the past year also.

I think a large portion of Pony Carbs problems these days are lack of available good cores. We are getting to the point where the problem carbs are trying to be saved. Unless you can get new stuff, I would hesitate to set up a business model around a used parts supply.