Sign in to follow this  
Black Jade

AR500 Magnum Wheels

I have still not purchased them yet for numerous reasons but my build has been planning to go with the 17x9.5 out back and the 17x8 up front with custom bs for some time now. I have numerous threads on these AR500 wheels dating back to spring of 2008 when they were just a concept and not yet available to the public, I was actually in place to buy the very first set at one point.

This car belongs to a member called 69boss429, these are the original 17" Aluminum version made by Wheel Vintiques that came to market a year or two prior to American Racing coming out with thier more affordable version. With the exception of the center cap they are pretty much identical and should give you a good idea of what they look like on a 69.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2901&d=1208880308

attachment.php?attachmentid=2900&d=1208880275

I have a set of these for my 69 Mach I, will be putting 2 rears up for sale 17x9.5" 6.25" BS. Will post pictures this weekend.

6.25 BS? I'm guessing they rub a bit with any more than a 255 tire? I was afraid to go the full 6" to match the 4.5 BS on the 17x8 up front since I want to run a 275 out back and a 245 up front. I wimped out and landed on 5.75" just to play it safe, I don't think sticking out 1/4" more than the fronts will be very noticable especially with such a larger tire size making any noticable difference appear optical and not actual.

Pak,

6.25" BS works great with a stock width rearend, and the lip rolled. I had a 285/45-17 Nitto 555 mounted, and my car is even lowered about 2.5" in the rear. Nitto's do run a little small for the rated size.

I have a BS question, you said 6.25" works for stock width rear end, what if my rear end is 3/4" wider on each side? I have a rear end out of a 71 Mustang in my 69 and its of the wider variety.

One guy at a rim store online said that being wider would actually work to my advantage if i wanted wider wheels but i wouldnt have as much of a lip on my wheels.

Wonder what BS I need

Mike

Then you'd need 7" backspace assuming the 6.25" mentioned above really works. Honestly its a crapshoot since some cars are different than others, especially when pushing the limits on tires. Tire diameter will also play a factor, as the rubbing spot in the lower front inner quarter is the place where rubbing typically occurs. I'm planning 17x10.5 wheels with 6.8" backspace, but need a wheel spacer (7/16" IIRC) for the wheel to actually clear the leaf spring. This puts the net backspace at 6.36", a bit tight to the leafs. 1/2" would be better but I think I get into wheel lip clearance issues, after its rolled. BFH will be needed to the inner wheelhouse.

I would love to be able to compare the Wheel Vintique version to the AR one someday to see just what the difference is, I can only ever afford the AR version anyway but for the huge price difference it can't just be the center cap as it appears.

Yeah i know its going to be tough to figure out exactly what i need....they make a tool you can use to see what size tire and rim you can run....i have to find it again, its some little tool that uses preset wires and such and it bolts in place of the wheel on the axle.

Im really interested to see what will work.

My friends Eleanore wheels are 17X8's and they fit nicely under his car with no rolled fenders, but when you put them on my car they stick outside of the wheel wells LOL

Mike

Detailed photos of the Wheel Vintiques Billet Magnum 500 as promised. They are plenty stout, and the welds are very nice. The only thing I would add is they could be lightened up a bit. I am not sure if this is a stress analysis or machine work cost saving feature, but more than likely both.

I have still not purchased them yet for numerous reasons but my build has been planning to go with the 17x9.5 out back and the 17x8 up front with custom bs for some time now. I have numerous threads on these AR500 wheels dating back to spring of 2008 when they were just a concept and not yet available to the public, I was actually in place to buy the very first set at one point.

This car belongs to a member called 69boss429, these are the original 17" Aluminum version made by Wheel Vintiques that came to market a year or two prior to American Racing coming out with thier more affordable version. With the exception of the center cap they are pretty much identical and should give you a good idea of what they look like on a

attachment.php?attachmentid=2901&d=1208880308

attachment.php?attachmentid=2900&d=1208880275

Those look great on that car ! Rethinking my selection of wheels now ! :cool2: