Sign in to follow this  
mach-1-69-rob

351W from 1987 4x4 Truck into a 69 Mach 1?

A lot depends on what tranny you hook it up to with the 28oz vs 50 oz balance as well.

There is an adapter out there that allows you to use a modern block with a Z-bar clutch setup. I believe NPD sells them.

...I bought a 351 W shortblock from PROMAR ENGINES... it is a Rollerblock..

I installed my 60 cc heads ( 69 casting 4V ) the block was ballanced within 1 Gramm.. my headers are longtube...( don´t know the brand...) and the Intake is from the 60 th... But this setup runs like hell !!!!!!!!

Greetings from Germany Juergen

I just dropped an '88 351w in my '69 Mach last night. I had to buy the bracket for the z-bar and massage the bellhousing and block to get it to fit in the proper location. You will also have to replace the timing cover (no provision for the fuel pump) the crank pulley and balancer(need a 3 bolt, you probably have a 4 bolt, unless you are going to run the serpentine belt system) and oil pan. I had all this stuff from my old engine so I just swapped it out.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and bought the 351W from the old '87 bronco. It's actually a factory 4v with Holley 600CFM carb. I have everything from oil pan to air cleaner, but just need an alternator and PS pump. I am not sure which transmission to look for. I have what appears to be a C6 from an old 360, but the bolt patterns don't line up. I assume from what I have read that a C4 will mount to the 351W. I am not too interested in AOD or anything, but just want a simple inexpensive automatic. What donor cars can I use to get a C4 that will fit this 351W?

Brasil, i knoticed in your pics that one piston in the rear has the lettering up top instead of on the bottom like the others....I noticed on my last motor that the pistons had arrows on them that said front, which dictated which was the piston was supposed to go...always wondered about that....wondering why yours are different ?

Mike

Not trying to thread jack, but since the Truck fuel injection manifold wont fit, will the 351 injected mustang manifold fit....have found several on Ebay....I was also told the bread box style will work as well...but those are like 800 bucks.

So can u use a 351 mustang intake?

Mike

Hello Mike....

Now i am afraid... when I looked on the foto I posted....I saw the difference too..

perhaps someone here knows, what should be the right direction...or perhaps the pistons will work in both directions ????

Greetings Juergen

Hello Mike....

Now i am afraid... when I looked on the foto I posted....I saw the difference too..

perhaps someone here knows, what should be the right direction...or perhaps the pistons will work in both directions ????

Greetings Juergen

I think you're in good shape Juergen. If you look at the valve clearance areas there's a dimple toward the front of the engine. It is visible and towards the front in the front and back piston. I would believe that is the front mark, not the lettering.

Hello Candyapplered...

yes I can see the small holes in the pistons... looks like they are all showing towards the front of the engine.. but there are two pistons that have the numbers upsidedown... one onthe left side...and one on the right side... ?

Here is another pic also...

Greetings Juergen