Sign in to follow this  
Oz69fan

Best Colour for 69 Grande?

G`day all, I am new to this great Forum.

My name is Rod. I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

We have just taken delivery of a 69 Grande from Arizona. It is a very original car with a superb Rust Free body. The Arizona sun has caused clearcoat failure of the Lime Gold paintwork.

The car does not require a Rotisserie Restoration, but will receive a Bare Metal Respray, new upholstery and a nice set of wheels.

We are experienced at Restoring Mustangs and have a Panel/Paint man working with us.

Problem is i am not overly fond of the Lime Gold colour and i am asking for opinions of what you consider to be a great colour for these cars. I am tossing up between Gulfstream Aqua or maybe Winter Blue?

Would have gone for Acapulco Blue - Love the colour - But my son is nearing completion of a full Resto on a 69 Convertable for his wife. It is Acapulco Blue and i do not want to be a copy cat.

We are really taken with the 69 Mustangs and also have a Mach1 on the way for my son. It is also blue, but not sure about which blue it is.

Any and all opinions welcome.

Here are some photos of the cars.

Rod.

Thanks Fellas, Please keep those opinions coming.

Unfortunately, Black is out of the question for us. It is too hot in Adelaide for Black cars.

Can anybody tell me which Blue the Mach1 is?

GetAttachmentCA315G10.jpg

Some more photos of the cars, including my Gulfstream Aqua T Code 68 Coupe

GetAttachmentCA0QZIWR.jpg

GetAttachmentCA4NI3O2.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg

AcapulcoBlue69Vert.jpg

Rod.

Greetings and welcome! Looks like you are single handedly trying to round up all the ponies out of the states.

Personally I think what your end plans for the car are should come into some play when deciding color. Restomod, all original, daily driver, paddock bomb, or somewhere in between. My rule of thumb is if you aren't going with a stock color, why limit yourself to 69' colors? My car was the Gulfstream Aqua when I bought it (originaly lime like yours) and it wasn't my first choice but really grew on me and stayed that way for 8 years, probably longer if I hadn't been pushed into a restoration, now it is a 2000 color but still Ford. Just from these pics the car looks amazingly original and preserved, too bad it can't be just refurbished as is and replace the normal wear and tear items. In any case the right choice will be the one you make. I would encourage you to at least document as many things you can that are still original, ID's, tags, markings before tearing it apart. You don't see alot of those original pinstripes anymore for example even though I am sure the positioning varied in production. Before you comit to anything, look up a member here called 69grandeCJ and see what your car completely restored could look like before righting it off. I'f I can find a pic I'll post it.

Here you go. Granted this is a pretty rare Grande and worthy of this concors correct factory fresh original resto but aside from the fact that it is possibly the ultimate sleeper, when it's shiny and new looking it's not that hard on the eyes this way. I found his original completion thread but there are tons of pics of this car all over the place if you feel like looking closer.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1727

69_Grande_CJ_Livermore_Show_06.jpg

I'm really starting to like the lime gold. Mine is exactly like Paks - used to be lime, been painted Aqua... I saw a great lime gold coupe with a satin black hood and some black rims that looked AWESOME. no vinyl top, black interior... of course i can't find it it now to post it.. but i plan on doing mine in something like that

I'm really starting to like the lime gold. Mine is exactly like Paks - used to be lime, been painted Aqua... I saw a great lime gold coupe with a satin black hood and some black rims that looked AWESOME. no vinyl top, black interior... of course i can't find it it now to post it.. but i plan on doing mine in something like that

Agreed, I saw this car at show and I love it. It's different and the black hood makes it look really good. I am only 85% sure it's Lime Gold, I know it's a factory 69 color, I asked the guy and I'm pretty sure he said Lime Gold. I'm someone on this forum can tell for sure.

I'd definitley go for this, Silver Jade is really nice too, you can't go wrong with Indian Fire or Calypso Coral. Whimbleton White looks good but so does Candy Apple Red. The colors you talk about would look great as well and then there's the 1970 Grabber colors.

I am really appreciative of the responses.

This car had been in the same family since 1985. They obviously took excellent care of it.

The day that it was to begin the long journey to Australia , Heather who was the owner sat in the car and cried for an hour. So there is an emotional attachment to the car for them.

After considering the responses, the photos of the restored car, and the previous owners attachment, i have decided to stick with the original colour - Lime Gold. I am not a fan of Vinyl Roofs having just replaced a swiss cheese roof skin on a supposedly Rust Free 67 Coupe. So no Vinyl Roof for this car.

The car will be kept as original as possible and will become my weekend driver.

In South Australia, in order to be able to Register a Classic Car with Left Hand Drive, it has to be a Factory Original Colour, and not be modified in any way. So they want to see basically Museum pieces when we drive them in for pre Registration Checks.

On another subject - Today we had the 67 coupe Garnet Blasted on the Undercarriage, Engine Bay and inside the Boot.It came up a treat, and will save us several weeks work on the Rotisserie Restoration. I took photos of the process and will post them in another Thread Tonight. That is if it is OK to post pics of the earlier model Mustangs?

Rod.

I for one am glad you keeping it original. Share the pictures of your 67, I for one won't mind. Keep us posted on the 69's progress too! I always enjoy what others are doing.

Hi Armond, Photos of 67 Coupe being Garnet Blasted now added.

Will post a Thread of the Resto of the 69 Grande in the Projects area.

Had a look at your Website. Very nice cars you turn out! Also notice that your son is into Woodwork. That Chest he made is superb. We are also into Woodworking with CNC Routers from China. Check out this Thread on CNCzone.com

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86978

I am Rocket67 on that Forum.

Have been checking out some of the cars on this Forum. You guys do fantastic work on them.

Rod.

G`day relic1864,Must admit i am having real problems bringing myself to order Green Upholstery for the Grande. My wife who is recuperating from a major illness wants to see the car painted Acapulco Blue. So does my son.

Here are some photos of the freshly painted Acapulco Blue Vert. It looks a million bucks. Maybe the Show Wheel Streeter Wheels, ( which you call Torq Thrust 11 ) are giving the car the Bling that i like.

089.jpg

088.jpg

074.jpg

By the way, I think your car looks very nice in the pale blue.

Rod.

Edited by Oz69fan

Rod that is a very nice car. I love that blue. can you show us a picture with the top up too. The paint on mine is the only thing thats not origional on my car but the paint job thats on it now is too nice to have it repainted. But when I do repaint it its going back Alcapulco Blue.

:tongue_smilie:

Hi guys, Figured it was about time to update progress on the Grande.

We went with Lime Gold, very happy with the result. Here are the latest pics -

083-1.jpg

084-1.jpg

081-1.jpg

068-1.jpg

Not much work left to do before taking the car down to have it inspected for Registration. It is sitting a bit too high with these wheels on it, but we cannot lower it until after it is Registered.

The more i see the car - the more i like the colour.

We also added a centre console, plush pile carpet and new door trims.

For anybody interested,have a look through my photobucket album. Lots of photos of the body/ paint.

relic1864, i could not show any photos of the blue convertible with the roof up - because the roof has not yet been fitted. It left for the trimmers to fit it today. Will post photos when it returns. http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/rocket67/Verts%20on%20way%20home/

Thanks for all the suggestions about the colour. We are absolutely delighted with it.

Rod.

Edited by Oz69fan

Hi70mstang, The red one would be my son`s restored 65 coupe - also from Arizona. He spent 3 years restoring it.

My son`s 65 coupe -

080-1.jpg

65 Fastback - arrived only a week ago from Florida

060.jpg

64.5 coupe Right Hand Drive -

089-1.jpg

67 Vintage burgundy coupe currently being restored -

052-1.jpg

My 68 T Code coupe tucked away in the garage with the Grande ( before the Grande was painted )

091-1.jpg

Rod.

Edited by Oz69fan

Hey thanks fellas.

Really liked this car when i first saw it advertised on Craigslist looking like this -

69mustangd.jpg

It was an absolute pleasure dealing with Jake in Arizona to make the purchase. The car was totally as described, and i now consider Jake a good friend. Will send Jake and Heather a nice Xmas gift in appreciation.

Jake - if you see this - Thanks mate! It has come up awesome.

The car will be Registered over the next month or so and i will be very proud sitting behind the wheel

081.jpg

We are about to begin a Rotisserie Restoration of a Mach1 that came from North Carolina ( i think ). Will start a Thread on it in the Projects section

GetAttachment-1.jpg

GetAttachmentCA4H3QNB.jpg

GetAttachmentCA9BBAQM.jpg

Wonder if anybody on this site knows the car?

Rocket.

Edited by Oz69fan