Black_69_FB

Sikkens Rally Black

...Does anyone know where I can buy some paint for the blackout hood treatment? I've searched here & googled, but haven't been able to find anything yet. My paint guy isn't familiar with it, and has asked me to find him some.

Thanks - Doug

Sikkens is owned by Akzo Nobel now. It's actually called, Akzo Nobel's Autocryl Rally Black; that should help the search. The data sheet is attached, that will help him with the mix and getting the hardener/activator right. If you lay it to thick it wont look right.

good stuff... good luck.

I have used sikkens Rally Black for years. It is great stuff. Spray the first two coat med with wide fan at just about 30 pSI with HVLP and back off a few inch's with wide fan a bit faster, it is almost like putting a mist coat on, but will leave a nice texture. If you put it on wet it just does not look right. Good luck!

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

Edited by Armond

Armond, thanks for the reply. And for the pics - that is one beautiful automobile! I appreciate the tips as well.

Now if I could only find someplace that sells the paint online, I'd be set. O'Reilly's said they could order it, but my little voice is telling me to be cautious.

Here's a link to the product page if anyone feels like looking:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SIK0/319978.oap?partType=N1971&parentPartType=C0171

The salesperson who I spoke to about it initially could not find it using the product #, but eventually did under "hot rod black", which instilled a little doubt as to whether it was the same thing. Not that I don't trust the auto parts guys, but... better safe than sorry, right?

Also there was still the question of hardener and/or reducer. I have ZERO experience with auto paint, so it would be better if I could be 100% confident in what I need before I order. Tracking this stuff down has been like trying to find hen's teeth :)

Give them a call, they should be able to send you to a local distributor. Here is their service line. 1-800-618-1010 Also here is a link to the TDS for the paint.

http://www.globalsafetynet.com/akzonobel/pdfs/akzo_208_english.pdf

Also if you have no luck, if you'd like I can buy it for you. I have not bought some for a while and can't say what the cost is, but if your interested I can get you a total on all the products involved. Good luck!

is this a similar paint used on Mercedes? i read somewhere (@#$$ internet) that Mercedes has a paint that is great for the black out treatment but have yet to find a part number.... people complain when they get wax/polish etc on the black out causing problems, but supposedly wax/polish on the Mercedes paint doesn't cause any problems.

at most of the car shows now i see the black out treatment that's gloss or with clear-coat over it .... not a flat/satin black

is this a similar paint used on Mercedes? i read somewhere (@#$$ internet) that Mercedes has a paint that is great for the black out treatment but have yet to find a part number.... people complain when they get wax/polish etc on the black out causing problems, but supposedly wax/polish on the Mercedes paint doesn't cause any problems.

at most of the car shows now i see the black out treatment that's gloss or with clear-coat over it .... not a flat/satin black

I'm pretty sure the Mercedes paint is:

Sherwin Williams Mercedes flat black Ultra 1, U12739

http://photos.mustangsbymike.com/Mach-1-Candy-Apple-Red/DSCF0581

Yes you can get wax on the black and it will not bleach out or stain like the old original lacquer will. I am sure there are others like PPG, Dupont and Glasso that have a similar product. Of course I'd wait a few months before I'd let anything get on it like a wax.

Give them a call, they should be able to send you to a local distributor. Here is their service line. 1-800-618-1010 Also here is a link to the TDS for the paint.

Also if you have no luck, if you'd like I can buy it for you. I have not bought some for a while and can't say what the cost is, but if your interested I can get you a total on all the products involved. Good luck!

Armond, I can't thank you enough for the info & generous offer to help with aquiring the paint. Unfortunately, my painter shot the hood blackout the day before I got ahold of him with the new info. No idea what he used, but if I am not satisfied I know he'll be doing it over :tongue:

hmmm, try their dealer locator as well

http://www.akzonobelcarrefinishes.net/locator.asp

I Tried that last week when doing my initial searches... clicking on the button to find a dealer does nothing, just sits there. Their website was pretty much useless IMO. Thanks anyway though.

Armond, I can't thank you enough for the info & generous offer to help with aquiring the paint. Unfortunately, my painter shot the hood blackout the day before I got ahold of him with the new info. No idea what he used, but if I am not satisfied I know he'll be doing it over :tongue:

hmmm, try their dealer locator as well

http://www.akzonobelcarrefinishes.net/locator.asp

I Tried that last week when doing my initial searches... clicking on the button to find a dealer does nothing, just sits there. Their website was pretty much useless IMO. Thanks anyway though.

hmm, works for me...distributors in Indiana:

A & A MANUFACTURING CO

Commercial Account

386 E STATE ROAD 2

VALPARAISO, IN 46383

Altec Industries, Inc

Commercial Account

5201 West 84th Street PO Box 681308

Indianapolis, IN 46268

C & D Supply (Mishawaka)

Distributor

13192 McKinley Hwy

Mishawaka, IN 46545

Phone: (574) 257-3726

General Truck Sales

Commercial Account

4300 N. Broadway

Muncie, IN 47303

Phone: (765) 289-4481

GOLD SHIELD OF INDIANA

Commercial Account

2004 PATTERSON STREET

DECATUR, IN 46733

Grinstead (Bloomington)

Distributor

1305 1/2 West 11th St Building B

Bloomington, IN 47401

Phone: (812) 333-6309

Grinstead (Fort Wayne)

Distributor

2240 Research Drive

Fort Wayne, IN 46808

Phone: (260) 483-1336

Grinstead (Indianapolis)

Distributor

1008 East Sumner Ave.

Indianapolis, IN 46227

Phone: (317) 781-2360

Grinstead (Lafayette)

Distributor

456 Farabee Drive

Lafayette, IN 47905

Phone: (765) 479-0161

Hyman's Auto Supply (Mishawaka)

Distributor

13645 Mckinley Hwy Unit E

Mishawaka, IN 46545

Phone: (219) 257-8881

McClintock Preferred Finishes (Evansville)

Distributor

4912 Temple Ave

Evansville, IN 47715

Phone: (812) 422-0098

Medtec Ambulance

Commercial Account

2429 Lincolnway East Attn: Dan Hapner

Goshen, IN 46526

Phone: (574) 534-2631

Rollie Williams Paint Spot

Commercial Account

P.O. Box 1385

Elkhart, IN 46515

Phone: 574-264-3174

SIRVA INC

Commercial Account

PO BOX 12668 ATTN BRUCE THOMPSON

FT WAYNE, IN 46864

STEVE REIFF, INC

Commercial Account

5650 W 800S

SOUTH WHITLEY, IN 46787

TOPEKA GRAPHICS, INC

Commercial Account

428 HAWPATCH DRIVE

TOPEKA, IN 46571

hmm, works for me...distributors in Indiana:

A & A MANUFACTURING CO

Commercial Account

386 E STATE ROAD 2

VALPARAISO, IN 46383

Altec Industries, Inc

Commercial Account

5201 West 84th Street PO Box 681308

Indianapolis, IN 46268

C & D Supply (Mishawaka)

Distributor

13192 McKinley Hwy

Mishawaka, IN 46545

Phone: (574) 257-3726

General Truck Sales

Commercial Account

4300 N. Broadway

Muncie, IN 47303

Phone: (765) 289-4481

GOLD SHIELD OF INDIANA

Commercial Account

2004 PATTERSON STREET

DECATUR, IN 46733

Grinstead (Bloomington)

Distributor

1305 1/2 West 11th St Building B

Bloomington, IN 47401

Phone: (812) 333-6309

Grinstead (Fort Wayne)

Distributor

2240 Research Drive

Fort Wayne, IN 46808

Phone: (260) 483-1336

Grinstead (Indianapolis)

Distributor

1008 East Sumner Ave.

Indianapolis, IN 46227

Phone: (317) 781-2360

Grinstead (Lafayette)

Distributor

456 Farabee Drive

Lafayette, IN 47905

Phone: (765) 479-0161

Hyman's Auto Supply (Mishawaka)

Distributor

13645 Mckinley Hwy Unit E

Mishawaka, IN 46545

Phone: (219) 257-8881

McClintock Preferred Finishes (Evansville)

Distributor

4912 Temple Ave

Evansville, IN 47715

Phone: (812) 422-0098

Medtec Ambulance

Commercial Account

2429 Lincolnway East Attn: Dan Hapner

Goshen, IN 46526

Phone: (574) 534-2631

Rollie Williams Paint Spot

Commercial Account

P.O. Box 1385

Elkhart, IN 46515

Phone: 574-264-3174

SIRVA INC

Commercial Account

PO BOX 12668 ATTN BRUCE THOMPSON

FT WAYNE, IN 46864

STEVE REIFF, INC

Commercial Account

5650 W 800S

SOUTH WHITLEY, IN 46787

TOPEKA GRAPHICS, INC

Commercial Account

428 HAWPATCH DRIVE

TOPEKA, IN 46571

Ok....looks like the top 3 pics for flat black......

1. Sherwin Williams Mercedes flat black.

2. SEMS Hot rod black

3. Sikkens flat black.

Can we get pictures and opinions/ first hand experience with the durability of each. Personally, I tried KBS (which NPD seems to push a lot). The flat black was beautiful but it scratches with just a light swipe of a fingernail. The next debate will be on engine compartment paint.

Dave