Sign in to follow this  
KT 69

69 Front Brake Upgrade

Looking for a low budget front disc upgrade for a 69 mustang with OEM front power disc brakes. Already going for the "Master Power Brakes" larger rear drum upgrade for $400.

Running 15" magnum 500's so limited on rotor upgrades. Would like to keep my OEM rotors maybe a slotted upgrade for some bling only magnum wheels appear to cover most of the rotor so that may not be worth the effort.

What about the older KH four piston calipers will they adapt to 69 spindles and rotors?

What about larger turning radius issues when running a rack steering set-up with front disc conversion. Is this an issue with just some conversion kits, all kits or all rack installs regardless of brake type?

I think the MP front disc brake options are good. I replaced my stock discs with their 15" offering and also did the larger rear drum upgrade at the same time. This was a cost effective option for me until I move to 17/18" tires. At that point, I will upgrade to larger discs and pistons on all four corners - looking at Baer and Willwood for that upgrade.

What about larger turning radius issues when running a rack steering set-up with front disc conversion. Is this an issue with just some conversion kits, all kits or all rack installs regardless of brake type?

if your looking for a front disc upgrade and a rack and pinion, you might want to take a closer look at this:

http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=37

http://www.fatmanfab.com/catalogpage.php?page=38

I would try discbrakeswap.com. Dennis is a great guy and is easy to work with, good customer service.

i agree with you, dennis is a great guy, i have swap kit 3 from him and i like it, but KT69 wrote he already has stock power disc brakes on his car.

he seems to be looking for something with more stopping power and he also thinks about a rack and pinion kit that does not increase the turning radius.

if he would only be looking for a low budget break upgrade, i would recommend to get some high performance break pads for the original calipers and rotors.

for example:

-summit racing ultimate performance

-bear decela pads

-ebcbrakes redstuff 3000

-porterfield-brakes R4-S

Edited by grendi

Checking out all those options. That Fatman rack sounds great and solves the turn radius issue however compared to Randall rack it is wayyyyyyyy pricy. To bad such a great kit but then to costly. So I'll be looking further into work arounds for the turn radius issue. Fatman has cool looking upgrades but they are just way to proud of it all for my budget. In this economy pricey just does not cut it regardles how trick it is.

OK now I'm getting freaked out on this whole rack issue. Seems Randall rack has very dramatic turn radius reduction. But maybe it can be remedied with Pro Motor Sport Bump Steer kit for a few hundred bucks. Now the Randall is getting more expensive. Have to check out the Motor Sport mod to see if does solve the turning issues.

keep in mind the fatman mod a steering, suspension and brake upgrade.

if you add coil overs and aftermarket brakes to the price of the randalls r&p your in the same price range or even higher.

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/vas_bolton-co.html

http://totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html

http://www.rrs-online.com/phase1products.php

i have the randalls r&p and i like it. the turning radius could be better and the wheels don't turn back to straight if you let go of the steering wheel, but overall i would buy it again.

fatman was not an option for me, because everything has to look "stock" to get the car through the car inspection in switzerland every two years.

about the pro-motorsport engineering bump steer correction kit:

pro: it does give you a smaller turning radius

contra: the randalls r&p already corrects the bump steering issues. if you correct it twice, you'll end up with bump steering again.

i still hope someone will make some quick steering spindles that relocate the outer tie rod closer to the pivot in the future.

for the moment, i have to live with what's on the market.

FWIW I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about being unhappy with a Randalls Rack regardless of what you gain or lose with it. In fact the only complaint I can ever recall period is that there was a black out window in his customer service for a bit when no one could reach him in any way and that turned out to be that his wife died so he gets a pass on that one.

I was following this thread with the same brake upgrade interest. I was hopeful of a simple conversion of maybe keeping the same hub, but a better rotor and caliper system. Like KT, I already have foctory power discs, but they relly do a poor job in slowing the car. My solution has been keep way back from the car in front. KT, can you follow up with what you decide and how it works.

BTW, I have had a randalls Rack system for 6 years, and have had no problems and think it is fine. The loss in turning radius is not that big of a deal.

You think that's bad, I can't even do justice to the culture shock I got with my manual drums the first time, rolled right thru the intersection, thank god it was a 4 way stop. The only good thing was having the drums made the swap to 13" Cobra's a piece of cake but 17" wheels on a classic aren't for everyone as a trade off.

i found a new site for brakes, i know nothing about this site, just trying to do some research because i have 69 power disc brakes and want to move to better rotors and hats with a hydratech setup. i already have a modified front suspension with pro motorsports parts and i would like to utilize that investment if possible.

link here to hotrodusa dot com

it looks like items:

B1F 2426702ZSL and a 12.19"

6 Piston Superlite 6 would work according to notes:

Note 4: Special kit does not move wheels out 1/2" per side.

Note 6: Special brackets by Hot Rods USA.

Note 19: Requires stock 68-69 Mustang disc brake spindles. Disc brake spindles must have the upper hole just below the upper ball joint that is parallel to the frame. This kit uses the smaller bearing for this spindle.

did anybody mention streetortrack dot com states disc or drum spindles?

anybody used these guys??

Edited by stangme428

Has anyone put in a Rod & Custom mustang II front end yet? I bought one this past summer but not to that point yet, all I have been able to do is sit and grow a big rubbery one looking at all the parts. If anyone needs rust free shock towers hopefully I'll have mine cut out in about six months.