Sign in to follow this  
Kevin427

Magnaflow ehaust

I have a 302 convertible and I regret putting a 2-1/2" system on it. Fitment is really tight on a vert. Unless you're running a high performance (really high-performance) engine, I think 3" is way overkill. There's even evidence that running pipes that are too big hurts performance more than it helps.

First set of 2 1/2" did not fit over the rear axle drivers side. Second set not much better. Ended up taking the whole kit to a local muffler shop who scrapped the the Magnaflow pieces over the axle for their own hand made pieces.

Engine is stroked to 408, sounds great. 3" would not fit on my car.

Thanks for the info, I am currently running a Coast Performance 427 windsor so I thought the 3" would be better. it may not be needed but it would sure be cool looking and I like the idea of a complete stainless exhaust system weather it be 2-1/2 or 3". and even if it hurts performance a little the car makes probably more power than I will need.

I am running the 2 1/2" stainless kit as well and it just barely fit, I have to take it to a shop this week and have a couple of pieces "tweaked" to make it fit without hitting anything. Sound is great, but I do not think I could get a 3" in. Mine is a 69 fastback with a 351W stroked and bored to 428. I actually was able to drive it a bit a few weeks ago for the first time, but I need to adjust my brakes some more as I am not getting enough pressure to the rears.

I am running the 2 1/2" stainless setup from magnaflow. Click on my link below and there is a video of how it sounds pulling out of my garage. The fitment is good on mine, but I had my local muffler shop do the install.

351 Cleveland with long tube ceramic headers. My exhaust dumps right after the mufflers...I didn't want any pipes coming out of the rear of the car.

I am running the 2 1/2" stainless setup from magnaflow. Click on my link below and there is a video of how it sounds pulling out of my garage. The fitment is good on mine, but I had my local muffler shop do the install.

351 Cleveland with long tube ceramic headers. My exhaust dumps right after the mufflers...I didn't want any pipes coming out of the rear of the car.

Sounds great! I have the 2.5 inch Magnaflows and some shorty Heddman in the box waiting for my 393 stroker to arrive. I hope it sounds as good as yours!:biggrin:

xsuperjoex, car does sound great, do you have the stainless tailpipes that came with the kit and if so would you be willing to sell them? I am currently running 3" mid pipes with cutouts in them into 3" flowmasters but the previous owner installed 2" tailpipes with the stock mach 1 tips to keep it stock in apearance, the 2" tailpipes I think are too restrictive. Thanks

man i love that video... post more.... with some rev's ...:tongue_smilie::punk: i swear it rumbles like a hybrid.... a built shelby small block with a hint of big block...

luv it!!

:biggrin:

xsuperjoex, car does sound great, do you have the stainless tailpipes that came with the kit and if so would you be willing to sell them? I am currently running 3" mid pipes with cutouts in them into 3" flowmasters but the previous owner installed 2" tailpipes with the stock mach 1 tips to keep it stock in apearance, the 2" tailpipes I think are too restrictive. Thanks

I replied to your email.

i installed 2.5" Summit Racing dual exhaust on my 302. everything fit well. Because the gas tank is slightly off center towards the drivers side, the exhaust on that side is slightly angled up wards at the tips. had to do some jerry rigging to get the hangers in right. i agree with not going above 2.5". Unless you are racing the car regularly, you'll kill your performance and 2.5" is a really tight fit as it is. my two bits...