Sign in to follow this  
Cruzzar

Guage Cluster

Here's an update on my guage cluster that I am making from scratch. On an earlier post "Dash bezels and guage clusters" (3-2-09) Reverb asked if someone had tried to make an aluminum dash. I responded that I was working on a fiberglass dash panel that bolts to the original factory plastic dash this way you don't have to take off the padded dash to remove the guages if you need to work on them. It also allows easy access to the back of the instrument panel if you have to fix something. All guages are slanted directly at where the driver's head would be while driveing. Here is some additional pics of what I have got done so far. I still have to mount turn signal and high/low beam lights, prime and paint it and decide if I want to add an overlay on the flat surface.

p3060003.jpg

p3170001.jpg

p3170002x.jpg

p3170003.jpg

p3170006.jpg

p3170007.jpg

p3180003.jpg

I was in the wrong line when God was handing out talent. I admire those who have it though. Nice work. If you need someone to test it for you for ten years, i'll send you my address and not even charge you for the research. :)

Wow, really nice work! I'm doing something similar but I'm replacing the gauge panel with a fiberglass panel. I'm making a mold plug from an old 70 panel and will make a panel from that mold. I started with a flat surface in the center for the tach & speedo. There is a panel flanking each side of the center & slightly angled back for four 2-1/16 gauges. A flat surface runs above the gauge surfaces for turn & bright indicators. I'll have to post some pics of what I have done so far.

RacerX, I thought about making a panel that had a horizontal bend right in the middle but using the 2 5/8 guages caused me to rethink because of the size limitations. Shoot some pics when you're done. I like to see what others are doing.

wow, that's really, really nice!!!!! if i were keeping the stang i'd seriously consider doing something just like that, except i'd try to use stock 69 cougar XR7 guages in it, since the XR7s had a tach and speedo with trip and all the gauges (no idiot lights), that way i could re-use the stock gauge wiring harness. might to have to change some pin locations to make it work but that's no big deal. also the XR7 used the same style of clock, just with different lettering as the mustang clock so the XR7 clock would transfer over to the stock mustang housing as well, then all the gauges would match and you would have all factory gauges with a tach and no idiot lights at all.

RacerX, I thought about making a panel that had a horizontal bend right in the middle but using the 2 5/8 guages caused me to rethink because of the size limitations. Shoot some pics when you're done. I like to see what others are doing.

Finally got around to taking some pics of what I have so far.

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

I had an initial problem with the notch for the steering column not being deep enough, yours might clear without a problem but you might want to work on fitting it to the column before you cut for the guages. Good job! More pics when you get the guages installed.

It does looks pretty close, not sure if it'll clear or not. I have been thinking of doing my design but using your mounting method. I really like your mounting idea of a seperate panel mounted to the original panel. I may go that route.

I have guilt about just ordering the 6 hole from Year One!!

I am fabricating some metal work for Moroso style switches but think my years of working on race cars may handicap my fit and finish attention!

I am pulling wire everywhere on my project and this forum is the only good excuse to not get back out there.

Yes, I don't remember exactly what year it is from but it is padded and leather wrapped. The stock wheels are just plastic. I don't think I paid more than $20 for it at the local pick-n-pull. It provides a good view of all the guages. Ford makes the exact same wheel with cruise control in the plastic insert. Somebody in a Mustang forumn had the cruise control switches hooked up to a working cruise control unit, COOL. I can't find the posting but it was sometime within the last several months.

bomccorkle, I just returned from a week's stay in beautiful Michigan for a friend's son's wedding so this is a little late in response. The tilt-column that I am using is from a '75 Ford LTD that I found at Pic-a-Part ($40). I had to do some mods to mount the stock '70 ignition switch (the '75 used a different switch) onto the '75 column and also delete the gear selector lever slot.

Ahh sweet mine is a 69 so the key is still on the dash but I'm sure that they key on the column would be able to be deleted. Also since you've kinda done it I was thinking of cutting a piece of aluminum to fit down in the cove to mount gauges on then blending it back into the dash pad with fiberglass or something of that nature. I would make a mold as you did but I'm kinda lost on it. I am wanting to mount an intellitronix 6 gauge cluster I'm just not sure as to where to cut the old bezel to make it tilt correctly when its all in and done.