Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

Howdy - I remember having to cut down on the carb stud to almost nothing with my 351C / Edelbrock Performer 4V / Carter AFB to make things fit under the stock hood. So it's only natural that the extra 0.280" deck height on a '69 351W would raise the carb pad ~0.250" all things being equal, causing your issue.

I don't know what type of air filter assembly you initially used that attributed to the interference, however you may want to try a drop base filter assembly similar to the one listed on the following K&N site to gain some extra clearance:

http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/cuslids.htm

Perhaps find a filter base with an even greater drop to help you out as long as it doesn't interfere with the throttle linkage or choke assembly.

Running a shorter filter in conjunction with the drop base just might provide the clearance that you're seeking. Also, perhaps instead of using something like a wingnut & stud sticking out, you could use something like a thin knob or knurled piece of stock (think: something easy to turn with your fingers, yet short & package friendly) with a tapped shoulder on the bottom side pointing down towards the carb. Of course you would need to open up the stud hole on the lid to match the od of the shoulder on the bottom of the knob, however this would recess the thread engagement between the stud and knob below the top of the lid and maybe get you an extra 1/4" - 3/8" of clearance to the bottom of the hood. Just a thought...

I realize that description may have come across as a bit "wordy" - if you can't follow my crazy logic, I'll draw something up, scan it as a .pdf, and attach it to show you what I mean.

-Scott

Edited by Quick_R2

Howdy - I remember having to cut down on the carb stud to almost nothing with my 351C / Edelbrock Performer 4V / Carter AFB to make things fit under the stock hood. So it's only natural that the extra 0.280" deck height on a '69 351W would raise the carb pad ~0.250" all things being equal, causing your issue.

I don't know what type of air filter assembly you initially used that attributed to the interference, however you may want to try a drop base filter assembly similar to the one listed on the following K&N site to gain some extra clearance:

http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/cuslids.htm

Perhaps find a filter base with an even greater drop to help you out as long as it doesn't interfere with the throttle linkage or choke assembly.

Running a shorter filter in conjunction with the drop base just might provide the clearance that you're seeking. Also, perhaps instead of using something like a wingnut & stud sticking out, you could use something like a thin knob or knurled piece of stock (think: something easy to turn with your fingers, yet short & package friendly) with a tapped shoulder on the bottom side pointing down towards the carb. Of course you would need to open up the stud hole on the lid to match the od of the shoulder on the bottom of the knob, however this would recess the thread engagement between the stud and knob below the top of the lid and maybe get you an extra 1/4" - 3/8" of clearance to the bottom of the hood. Just a thought...

I realize that description may have come across as a bit "wordy" - if you can't follow my crazy logic, I'll draw something up, scan it as a .pdf, and attach it to show you what I mean.

-Scott

Edited by Quick_R2

I was going to suggest a drop base too if all else fails it's a good idea. You may not even need a knob either, I bought a Canton Racing lid that has a hidden boss underneath it for a super clean look. I bought it for the finned design though, I painted the centers blue to match my valve covers. Takes a liitle bit of trial and error to get the stud just right so it lines up straight all the time but it's not hard just tedious.

attachment.php?attachmentid=689&d=1159998256

I was going to suggest a drop base too if all else fails it's a good idea. You may not even need a knob either, I bought a Canton Racing lid that has a hidden boss underneath it for a super clean look. I bought it for the finned design though, I painted the centers blue to match my valve covers. Takes a liitle bit of trial and error to get the stud just right so it lines up straight all the time but it's not hard just tedious.

attachment.php?attachmentid=689&d=1159998256

Some great ideas Quick_R2 !!

As for your 'wordy' explaination, I understood it 100%...scary huh???

The drop filter option may work the best. With the very thin filter I have now I can't even lay the top on the actual filter and close the hood. I can only close it with just the filter sitting on the base.

I like the Canton lid, nice and clean. I'll have to see if I can find that up here !!!

Some great ideas Quick_R2 !!

As for your 'wordy' explaination, I understood it 100%...scary huh???

The drop filter option may work the best. With the very thin filter I have now I can't even lay the top on the actual filter and close the hood. I can only close it with just the filter sitting on the base.

I like the Canton lid, nice and clean. I'll have to see if I can find that up here !!!

Well the sun was shining today so I finally got the car out of the garage. I have been able to get a few things done in the past weeks. I have the hood scoop in primer and ready for paint. In the pic below I sprayed the center black to be sure I got the center line straight. When I got the scoop, the previous owner tried to sand it and screwed up the center 'peak'. So I had to fix it. It came out really nice. Ive also got the alignment issue fixed, thanks to a few shims !!! I also had to pull the instrument cluster out and reset the odometer, and some of the LED's in the cluster weren't working. So all that is now fixed. Also I hopefully got the little leak in the gas tank fixed. I just ran a bead of Seal-All around the sending unit. I haven't put any gas in it yet to see if it worked, but I'm hoping it did.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole hood clearance issue. The drop filter idea may not work with the carb I have. I'm still looking..

Next is to paint the hood, the scoop and tail light panel black with blue pearl. And Of course some decent wheels. But she's looking pretty good...Can't wait for spring !!!

Edited by flight96

Straight exhaust from the headers back. With the re-enforced pans in the vert its a pain in the a$$ to do an X or H. Plus I was told by the engine builder to run straight.

Now is the moment of truth....I put on the fan shroud and all the lights/electrical is working. The electric choke is wired and seems to be working. Just put the new plates on and today is the maiden voyage....The first run of the year in the rebuilt Stang!! I just really wish my buddy Brad was here for this day. Its a bitter sweet ride Im about to take.

If I never post on this forum again its because I screwed something up and the damn thing blew up !!!:scared:LOL...Just kidding....Well, here I go.....................:biggrin:

Well it all went very well for the first test drive !! It steers WAY better than it did when the wheels were all wonky. I was a little unhappy with it before but now it's just like a new car. The motor is VERY responsive :whistling:... Of course I haven't pushed it but I did give it a little gas and it moves very well.

There is one major problem I did discover. It looks like my proportioning valve and or brake lines are leaking. It's draining my rear brake reservoir in the MC. The REALLY crappy thing is...Brake fluid eats paint. And it leaked all over the inner fender and took most of the paint off in there :censored: . So Im gonna have to deal with that problem ASAP and repaint it.

I also have a very small oil leak in the front of the engine. I can't find out where exactly but it only leaks when I drive the car. It doesn't drip if it's just sitting. Im guessing that it may be the front seal ??? If so, is there any way to fix that, or will I have to live with it ?

With all that's happened in the family the past 6 months I don't feel like I've gotten much accomplished lately....I am getting the itch again. For a while I was just going through the paces.

I did get some more parts in today though so more work on her this weekend ! I got the wire harness for the hood scoop flashers as well as the fasteners for the scoop. So the hood will be coming off and back to my paint shop for the scoop installation and repaint! I can't wait to see her with a scoop and black/blue pearl hood.

I also odered the wheels for her yeaterday...See pic...and Im gonna go with Goodyear Eagle GT 245/45/17's !!! (More money into the pit !!!). Once I have the new shoes on her then I'll decide if I need to raise the front end. Im hoping I won't have to.

With all that's happened in the family the past 6 months I don't feel like I've gotten much accomplished lately....I am getting the itch again. For a while I was just going through the paces.

I did get some more parts in today though so more work on her this weekend ! I got the wire harness for the hood scoop flashers as well as the fasteners for the scoop. So the hood will be coming off and back to my paint shop for the scoop installation and repaint! I can't wait to see her with a scoop and black/blue pearl hood.

I also odered the wheels for her yeaterday...See pic...and Im gonna go with Goodyear Eagle GT 245/45/17's !!! (More money into the pit !!!). Once I have the new shoes on her then I'll decide if I need to raise the front end. Im hoping I won't have to.

I think I posted those rims in one of my numerous wheel threads as an option to what I originally wanted when it became unavailable. They reminded me of the Shelby Kelsey Hayes look a little. I can't remember why I eventually crossed them off the list though, either the backspace wasn't right or maybe it didn't come in a 9.5" for the rear like I wanted.

Anyway, with your tire choice the overall height won't probably be changing by much from what you have so you will likely have the same overall ride height issue as you do now.

I think I posted those rims in one of my numerous wheel threads as an option to what I originally wanted when it became unavailable. They reminded me of the Shelby Kelsey Hayes look a little. I can't remember why I eventually crossed them off the list though, either the backspace wasn't right or maybe it didn't come in a 9.5" for the rear like I wanted.

Anyway, with your tire choice the overall height won't probably be changing by much from what you have so you will likely have the same overall ride height issue as you do now.