Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

AAW Doesn't have any info on the sequential taillights, I got mine from Mustang Project (http://www.mustangproject.com/) They do have the Shelby set up but the ones they list don't include 69-70.

The installation is pretty easy. Take apart the tailights, install the LED units, plug the sequential unit in place of the original flasher, reassemble & install the tail lights.

In my case .. Take apart the tailights, install the LED units, plug the sequential unit in place of the original flasher, reassemble & install the tail lights. Uninstall the taillights, switch the LEDs to the correct sides (since they aren't labelled) put the taillights back in.

AAW is a lot of work but is worth not worring about whether your wires are worn out and could possibly catch fire and they support anything you can throw at them. The only downside I found was that AAW doesn't support the original fan switch on the heater. They only have a single hot wire going to the switch. My thoughts on this is that eventually I will put in a Classic Air A/C unit and it would replace the original connector with their own.

AAW Doesn't have any info on the sequential taillights, I got mine from Mustang Project (http://www.mustangproject.com/) They do have the Shelby set up but the ones they list don't include 69-70.

The installation is pretty easy. Take apart the tailights, install the LED units, plug the sequential unit in place of the original flasher, reassemble & install the tail lights.

In my case .. Take apart the tailights, install the LED units, plug the sequential unit in place of the original flasher, reassemble & install the tail lights. Uninstall the taillights, switch the LEDs to the correct sides (since they aren't labelled) put the taillights back in.

AAW is a lot of work but is worth not worring about whether your wires are worn out and could possibly catch fire and they support anything you can throw at them. The only downside I found was that AAW doesn't support the original fan switch on the heater. They only have a single hot wire going to the switch. My thoughts on this is that eventually I will put in a Classic Air A/C unit and it would replace the original connector with their own.

No pics again .. I haven't touched or seen the car in almost 2 weeks.

I was hoping to have the car back by now from the shop. But I took second fiddle to a few easy cases. The car will be done by tomorrow, but I can't go get it because I'll be on my way to the Myrtle for the weekend. So I won't get the car until Tuesday.

I've got the convertible top on order with the glass rear window. Going with the new cloth style top for our years, color is camel/charcoal.

http://www.keeautotop.com/convertibletopcolorchart.html#sailclothdeluxe

My paint guy is making room for me to drop by and let him touch up the chips & scratches from the rebuild.

Come on TUESDAY!!!!

I've got the convertible top on order with the glass rear window. Going with the new cloth style top for our years, color is camel/charcoal.

http://www.keeautotop.com/convertibletopcolorchart.html#sailclothdeluxe

That should look good with your color scheme. Keep us posted, I''m curious how the newer material compares with the original as far as looks and fitment.

Car is home!! AND .. if it stops raining long enough tomorrow morning I'll get some video of the car RUNNING!

Had an issue with my driver's side rear brake locking up. When I pulled off the wheel, I found the rear brake shoe had popped off and was jamming up the works. Popped it back on and will see how she feels running around the block. Think I'll need to bleed the brakes again, but I won't be going too fast tomorrow and will get to that after work.

Another issue I ran into was the rebuilt differential didn't have enough gear oil in it, I put in almost 3 bottles and she's full now.

Got the brakes bled .. I'm really not used to power brakes .. I mean they stop the car but I have to get used to barely touching the pedal!!!!

I think I found my noise .. it seems that more transmission fluid leaked out than I thought when I was putting in the engine. When I checked the fill hole it was pretty low. So will be filling that after dinner .. maybe another test drive tonight =)

One of those days .. was able to get the test drive in before it got too dark. Still getting noise, thinking rear diff now. It has a TrueTrac. Wondering if the noise may subside after a while or if it's something that needs looking into. Anyone have experience with rear differentials?

Got my transmission/rear diff guy to stop by and hear the noise. He said it was the tranny. Now waiting on space at this shop to open up so we can get the car over there to have them fix it.

In the meantime I've been screwing around with the gauges. I can finally hear the CVU click on and so far haven't burnt up another fuse. I am running an AAW harness. None of the gauges move at all so thinking way back when, I burnt em up.

I'll be out of town next Tuesday till Sunday so nothing will get done and she'll miss her first show. Bummer

Figured my old gauges were not going to be salvageable and I'm just too tired of playing with the dash voltage regulator. I ordered new gauges from New Vintage. I'm going with the 67 series, would have gone with the 69 series but my wallet didn't think it was such a good idea.

http://www.newvintageusa.com/1967.html

I ordered the 69/70 mounting kit, Tach, speedometer, and dual gauges for oil pressure/water & fuel/temp. Added the LEDs for turn signals in the dual gauges & brights in the tach. They should be sent on the 24th.

In the meantime, I hooked up some cheapo mechanical gauges to see what was going on in the engine. Everything is working nicely. Just sitting idling the temp gets up to 180 and stays, pressure sits at 50 psi & the charging system is up @ 14 volts

I called my transmission friend and asked that we get my car into his shop versus just waiting till room opens up. Dealing with friends can get troublesome sometimes. So we'll be moving the car over on Wednesday =)

Turns out there were a couple of issues. The transmission mount Modern Driveline sent was hitting the tunnel which caused a little noise, but they found that the pinion gear in the differential went bad, somehow. I've only dragged it from place to place so not sure why. They fixed it under warranty and fixed a couple of minor items, tightened my brake fittings and a good overall saftey check.

So I drove her home last night! Oh MY GOD!!!!! HEAVEN! Rip roaring HEAVEN! I really don't remember the car being this powerful, everything (that's installed) works great! I had some belts whining a little and some rattling in the doors, bah who cares!

The gauges could be here today .. I'll work on them next week. Taking my Boy Scout Troop camping this weekend.

New top - I did some checking around and the cloth tops aren't made for us yet. So they were running about a $1100 just for the top. So I will go back to the normal tan top. Originally white but I think that would look .. eh .. so so

I'll get some pics of the new stuff as it comes in.

Gauges showed up yesterday.

[ATTACH]9865[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9866[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9867[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9868[/ATTACH]

Please forgive the reflection of the goofy lookin guy taking the pics:001_rolleyes:

These are New Vintage gauges, all handmade in Michigan. I have the LED turn signals & brights. You can't see them since they are behind the faces.

I won't be making much progress this week, have to work split shifts from 8am - 3 then come back at midnight till 5 till Wednesday. Then I get to get some sleep. I should have some more pics as I go through the installation.

Quick mock up of the guages in the bezel. I'll be doing some more painting on the actual bezel since the guages look so good I didn't want to put them in a scratched up bezel.

[ATTACH]9870[/ATTACH]

The wiring isn't too difficult so shuold have these in this weekend.

I have to send back my left gauges .. I was pretty stupid and didn't protect them enough when wrestling with the plugs and cracked the lens on my gear shift ball. NV is fixing for me at no cost except shipping.

I ran into some issues with the fit of the speed sending unit and my T5 transmission mount. I opted for a 90 degree unit from Summit and it slid right in with no problems. I'll finish wiring it up this afternoon after my kids homework gets done. I have to stand over him to force him to finish. grrr

When I get the gauge back I should be able to put everything back in the car and they should all be working. Will snap a video of them in action =)

Top is on order and should be in about a week out.

I took my baby out for a little cruise to her first Regional Mustang Club meeting =) She ran great and handled nicely. Some pics .. yep still getting pieces back on .. thinking about that billet grill :thumbup1:

[ATTACH]9940[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9941[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9942[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9943[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9944[/ATTACH]

The Mustang Club met at http://www.streetsideclassics.com/ which is about 15 miles from my house. This place was awesome! I had to get home before dark though since it was chilly & I still don't have a TOP :tongue_smilie:

My girl is over getting a top =) I'll get some pics when she makes it home again. Cloth tops were just insane expensive .. so went with a vinyl top with the glass back window.

The shop had no clue what the flat metal piece was that fits in a slot above the rear window. It seems top makers have improved on the make of the tops and since most upholstery shops just threw them out with the old tops they are very few & far between. So, I guess I have an ultra rare piece of metal LOL