Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

Thanks for the suggestion, I called and the Ocala NPD location does have an over the counter sales. I look forward to buying some metal so that I can get the foundation fo this car done and get to the fun stuff, such as suspension, powertrain, interior and paint, etc.....$$$$$$$$$.

Thanks again

Bill from Canada

Thanks for the suggestion, I called and the Ocala NPD location does have an over the counter sales. I look forward to buying some metal so that I can get the foundation fo this car done and get to the fun stuff, such as suspension, powertrain, interior and paint, etc.....$$$$$$$$$.

Thanks again

Bill from Canada

Bill,

Its hard to tell from the pic. Is there any bondo in the middle of the door ? I can see a hole at the back of the door, how is the bottom lip and the front at the bottom ? You can get just the lower piece for the doors or, if their not too bad, you can just weld metal into the holes.

For me I want to keep the car for a while so I figured why not just replace the skin. The complete door was a little out of my budget. But don't be too intimidated by replacing the skins. It's not that hard of a job. Just a lot of patients is required. When you repair an old door with a lot of bondo in it, it can be very hard to get nice and straight.

Good luck with whatever way you decide, and if you need any advice I'll give ya all I can. I've replaced so many door skins in my life I could probably do it in my sleep now !!!

Oh...and as for the photo's...The easiest way I found was to open the pic in windows paint, then click on "Image" in the tool bar. Then click on "Stretch/Skew..." (Or CTRL + W). A box will appear with "Horizontal 100% and Vertical 100%" Just change those both to 50 or 60%. Click "OK" then save the pic. Then it will be way easier to upload.

Cheers

Ken

B&DIMH

Bill,

Its hard to tell from the pic. Is there any bondo in the middle of the door ? I can see a hole at the back of the door, how is the bottom lip and the front at the bottom ? You can get just the lower piece for the doors or, if their not too bad, you can just weld metal into the holes.

For me I want to keep the car for a while so I figured why not just replace the skin. The complete door was a little out of my budget. But don't be too intimidated by replacing the skins. It's not that hard of a job. Just a lot of patients is required. When you repair an old door with a lot of bondo in it, it can be very hard to get nice and straight.

Good luck with whatever way you decide, and if you need any advice I'll give ya all I can. I've replaced so many door skins in my life I could probably do it in my sleep now !!!

Oh...and as for the photo's...The easiest way I found was to open the pic in windows paint, then click on "Image" in the tool bar. Then click on "Stretch/Skew..." (Or CTRL + W). A box will appear with "Horizontal 100% and Vertical 100%" Just change those both to 50 or 60%. Click "OK" then save the pic. Then it will be way easier to upload.

Cheers

Ken

B&DIMH

Thanks Flight, that tip worked great....here are some more photos, my drivers door looks better than the passenger door. I don`t imagine that it would matter if I reskinned one door and not the other......

Bill

Thanks for your offer to help with the doors, I may need help eventually.

Thanks Flight, that tip worked great....here are some more photos, my drivers door looks better than the passenger door. I don`t imagine that it would matter if I reskinned one door and not the other......

Bill

Thanks for your offer to help with the doors, I may need help eventually.

I just realized to day, that I have four (rusted) parts doors that i can use to practice re-skinning, that will help along with a door reskinning thread I have been following under one of the other categories.

Once I start i will post my progress.

Bill

Florida eh!!!

Well I took the family to Daytona and had a blast. I am envious of all you Floridians who belong to this site. I made it to Ocala, FL and went to National Parts Depot. They have a real nice show room with about six nice rides inside and a huge parts desk. I bought two inside rockers, 2 door skins, tail light panel, torque box and a battery engine apron. My wife was not pleased when they wheeled all these parts out and I had to fit them into the mini-van, as well as fit three kids inside. It was like a puzzle, but I managed, and figured with the dollar at par with the US and no shipping involved, I saved a ton a cash. The inside rockers are close to six feet long and must weigh 40 lbs each.

This will help progress my project along since I have been stale for awhile, as well, I will be parting out my coupe this Summer.

We saw Myrtle Beach on the way back home, but felt that Daytona is the nicer of the two places....

Now to start with the door skins.....

glad you had a great trip! weather has been nice of late....:tongue_smilie:

Florida eh!!!

Well I took the family to Daytona and had a blast. I am envious of all you Floridians who belong to this site. I made it to Ocala, FL and went to National Parts Depot. They have a real nice show room with about six nice rides inside and a huge parts desk. I bought two inside rockers, 2 door skins, tail light panel, torque box and a battery engine apron. My wife was not pleased when they wheeled all these parts out and I had to fit them into the mini-van, as well as fit three kids inside. It was like a puzzle, but I managed, and figured with the dollar at par with the US and no shipping involved, I saved a ton a cash. The inside rockers are close to six feet long and must weigh 40 lbs each.

This will help progress my project along since I have been stale for awhile, as well, I will be parting out my coupe this Summer.

We saw Myrtle Beach on the way back home, but felt that Daytona is the nicer of the two places....

Now to start with the door skins.....

I will be practicing on some of my spare doors, taking off the skins just to see how difficult it will be. I don't have a decrimping tool, so I will try grinding down teh edge and then use an air tool to lift off the remaining flap. I will practice a few before moving on to the real thing.

Bill

Hey guys,

Any suggestions or recommendations about how to replace an inside rocker. I have both sides to do, I imagine that it is best to use the whole replacement part, rather than just cut out the part I need. It appears to be an integral part of the car, and I am concerned about screwing with the integrity of the car.

Bill

I have a 71 351 Cleveland motor that I was considering putting into my convertible that use to have a six cylinder. My question is, depending on how I mock up the engine, should I be putting big block bracing around the shock towers. I believe that there are kits out there for this.

I have a 71 351 Cleveland motor that I was considering putting into my convertible that use to have a six cylinder. My question is, depending on how I mock up the engine, should I be putting big block bracing around the shock towers. I believe that there are kits out there for this.

Inner rockers are the whole support for the car. So yep, you're on track when you were thinking to redo the whole part versus patching. I had mine done a while ago and they cut out from the torque boxes all the way back and weldes the new pieces to the outer rocker.

From what I've seen the bracing on the towers is a good idea. I don't think there was a difference between the 6 & 8 cylinder towers but I think it would last longer with the bracing.

Inner rockers are the whole support for the car. So yep, you're on track when you were thinking to redo the whole part versus patching. I had mine done a while ago and they cut out from the torque boxes all the way back and weldes the new pieces to the outer rocker.

From what I've seen the bracing on the towers is a good idea. I don't think there was a difference between the 6 & 8 cylinder towers but I think it would last longer with the bracing.

Hey Bill, I just finished reading the entire 35 pages of this thread and man can I relate to what your going through up here in snowy Canada. My project sat under a shelter all winter Nov-Apr while I pulled my hair out of boredom, itching to get back outside. Reading message boards, researching parts, reading, ect. But that can only tide ones self over for so long.

We have very slim pickings here in Montreal in terms of Mustang projects, but luckily my father gave me his 69 Coupe to restore and modify to my likings. It's a Grande (unfortunately) with black vinyl top over dark green (british racing green?) 302, auto, body is in decent shape overall but still requires quite a few involved jobs.

Anyways, good to hear about another Mustang enthusiast toughing it out up here and if your ever in Montreal you definitly should come check out my car. I'm also relatively new to the classic car hobby myself so we could definitly share knowledge and help eachother out!

Hey Bill, I just finished reading the entire 35 pages of this thread and man can I relate to what your going through up here in snowy Canada. My project sat under a shelter all winter Nov-Apr while I pulled my hair out of boredom, itching to get back outside. Reading message boards, researching parts, reading, ect. But that can only tide ones self over for so long.

We have very slim pickings here in Montreal in terms of Mustang projects, but luckily my father gave me his 69 Coupe to restore and modify to my likings. It's a Grande (unfortunately) with black vinyl top over dark green (british racing green?) 302, auto, body is in decent shape overall but still requires quite a few involved jobs.

Anyways, good to hear about another Mustang enthusiast toughing it out up here and if your ever in Montreal you definitly should come check out my car. I'm also relatively new to the classic car hobby myself so we could definitly share knowledge and help eachother out!

Well welcome to the site, it is one of only things that has kept me going, especially during the long Winter's and with no workshop to work on my ride. Thanks for reading the thread, I often wonder if it is too long, but it is a reminder to me of the plight of being a classic car owner and re-builder.....

Feel free to create a thread and post pics of your ride, no matter what condition it is in, guys are always interested in a new ride to the forum.

Well welcome to the site, it is one of only things that has kept me going, especially during the long Winter's and with no workshop to work on my ride. Thanks for reading the thread, I often wonder if it is too long, but it is a reminder to me of the plight of being a classic car owner and re-builder.....

Feel free to create a thread and post pics of your ride, no matter what condition it is in, guys are always interested in a new ride to the forum.