Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unfrozen1969

To build or not to build

So your floors were still in your car whem you replaced the inner rockers, that must have made fit and finish a little difficult. I have one floor out, and I am more concerned about spacing of door closure, etc, seeing that the inner rocker would be one of the structural portions of the car.

So your floors were still in your car whem you replaced the inner rockers, that must have made fit and finish a little difficult. I have one floor out, and I am more concerned about spacing of door closure, etc, seeing that the inner rocker would be one of the structural portions of the car.

Yea, the shop said they could replace the floors when they did the work, but they had been replaced by the PO and weren't in bad shape. I probably should have just had them replace everything but the shop it was in back then was a huge rip off (this was about 8 years ago) . I make sure to tell everyone at the shows about my experience with them.

Yea, the shop said they could replace the floors when they did the work, but they had been replaced by the PO and weren't in bad shape. I probably should have just had them replace everything but the shop it was in back then was a huge rip off (this was about 8 years ago) . I make sure to tell everyone at the shows about my experience with them.

I have one floor out now, and i need to get my doors re-skinned before anything else is done, so that I can determine the spacing issues. I will then need to balance the car, and determine if it has sagged at all, jack it up to the proper dimensions, then brace it, and then do the inner rocker replacement and floor. The same thing will have to be done for the other side, but the floor is still in, so I doubt that there would be as much sagging involved if any. I will need to find some hinge shims to assist me in having the door sit just right. My only fear is movement of the doors through usage. I am not sure about using older hinges or new ones, it depends on whether the new ones move over time, or whether older used hinges have reached there maximum movement and are therefore more stable....???

I have one floor out now, and i need to get my doors re-skinned before anything else is done, so that I can determine the spacing issues. I will then need to balance the car, and determine if it has sagged at all, jack it up to the proper dimensions, then brace it, and then do the inner rocker replacement and floor. The same thing will have to be done for the other side, but the floor is still in, so I doubt that there would be as much sagging involved if any. I will need to find some hinge shims to assist me in having the door sit just right. My only fear is movement of the doors through usage. I am not sure about using older hinges or new ones, it depends on whether the new ones move over time, or whether older used hinges have reached there maximum movement and are therefore more stable....???

I think that my 351 Clevelland is not worth salvaging.. My daughter and I are salvaging what ever parts we can, see the photos on the PDF attcahed.

Before you junk it, run it by a machine shop and see what they say. The bores might not be that bad. If they're standard bore, you might be able to go .030 over and they'll be fine. Ditto on the heads, although they are open chamber heads.

Hey Brian

Are you still interested in my hitch?

well I am but i am still broke all the time. so broke that my family all gave me cash for my birthday so i could get a set of used tires for the mustangs original GT rims and i ended up having to spend that money on bills......if you have someone else interested go ahead and sell it to them. i don't have any idea on how long it will be until we are out of this hole we've been in since we bought the house last summer....sorry man.

yep still have them both, but can't really do anything with the cougar until i sell the GT. i've got one last show for the GT next wekend and then i'm just going to drive it until it sells.....i'm getting bored sitting around at car shows all day with it and about the only i time i ever drive it is to those shows and the occassional Sonic cruise

This may seem like a stupid question, but could you not put it into an auction like Barrett Jackson. I know that it is a no reserve auction, but based on its condition, etc, you may be fortunate to sell it for a good price. Or maybe find an auction that where you can set a reserve. I would imagine that you have tried ebay already.

Its funny how we change as we get older. I think that I have more fun actually taking parts cars apart and discovering how they were built, rather than putting a car back together. As one buddy once told me, it's just a car and there are lots of them out there so don't get attached, so that is why my car is always for sale. I guess its the adventure of the journey that I prefer, versus arriving at the destination, and my fear is that my 69 convertible may never get built that way that I imagine it...oh weel, as long as I am having fun along the way, and it is keeping me sane.

I've been watching the Mecum Auto Auction lately. Not as high profile as Barrett Jackson, but you get to set your own reserve and I've seen the owners of the auction dealing with the car owners to manipulate the commission percentage to where the car owner will sell the car. That one is more my style since the car owner has the power and can say no if the price is below what they are wanting to get out of their car.

My son and I just tucked my 69 convertible away for the Winter, yes it comes early up here in Canada...anyways, I just noticed the difference on the dashboard assembly between one with A/C and one without....major cut outs with vents, I just figured that they were all the same. So how are guys venting for A/C if the car did not originally come with it all, are they just venting to the floor or are guys trying to add the vents into the dash like a stock A/C car???