jim.stobie

1969 Coupe with 302 transmission?

I recently purchased a 1969 Mustang that has the original 302 with it, but don't know what automatic transmission to put in it? I have a friend who rebuilt a C4 and can easily get it from him, but don't know if it will bolt up to the original 302? What transmission was stock? What kind of transmission can I put into it without modifications? 

C4 is the logical choice. Find out what year it is, as there are several types of C-4 transmissions out there, and some of them are actually C-5s.

For sure should bolt up to your 302.

If you have the original flex plate, keep it and use it.  Later automatic transmissions could have a different "balance weight" than the older cars.

I actually have a c-6 bolted up to my '69 351 W block, it fits and works fine.  A C-6 is likely overkill for your car, and actually the C-4s can take plenty of power.

Vic

Don't forget the FMX, that's what came behind the 351W in my Mach. They are strong and reliable and should have the same bolt pattern as a 302, since AODs fit all these blocks, the FMX should too. I'd stick a 4R70W on there, as its the last and most perfected version of the AOD- then you get overdrive.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:33 PM, jim.stobie said:

I have a friend who rebuilt a C4 and can easily get it from him,  What kind of transmission can I put into it without modifications

The simplist and without mods would be that C4, if he rebuilt it correctly. While it may not be the optimal transmission, I'll all for getting these Mustangs on the road without necessarily building the perfect car.