69 Cruzin

Alternator Wiring Problems

In need of help please! Can I replace this alternator pigtail or do I need to replace the entire harness that runs across my 69 Hardtop grill? If so what's it called? The problem started I think,  when alternator wire melted against alternator then it burnt wiring further up the harness. I'm a newbee to this  so I just don't know. Thank you much.

20170614_082644.jpg

20170614_082644.jpg

Contacting someone doesn't seem to be straightforward since the site reconstruction.

You can put your mouse over his avatar (if you can find him) and there's a message button you can click. You can find one of his posts in the Tech Forum, "Do I need the brown solenoid wire?"

Looks like you have a powermaster  Alternator : with some luck it can be a single wire

Just use  the biggest burnt wire  (black /Yellow) cut it /clean it and connect it to the alternator and disregard the others - the ground wire can be connected to the body.

Disregard the voltage regulator in that case

I would assume you have examined the wires that this harness ( shown above) connects to.  That is the "underhood harness".    Because if these wires got hot, the odds are the ones in the underhood harness did also. It also could have damaged the alternator.  You can take the alternator to some parts stores and they can check if for free to make sure it works.

Yes the wire going into the alternator was melted were it was was laying against alternator exposing the bare wire. Just replace alternator and apparently left the wiring against it after install. Is it possible that the short wire got hot and melted because of where it was laying and thus causing other to burn? Just trying to figure what happened