Mike65

Thinking of going EFI on new engine

I am thinking of going with EFI for the engine I am going to be building for the 69 Coupe & was looking at the FiTech system Go Street EFI - 400 HP system. Thoughts on this system, suggestions on other systems?. http://fitechefi.com/products/30003/ What would be needed to have a EFI system in a classic Mustang since I do not have any fuel system yet?.

If you search for "fitech reviews" you will see a thread I started in Dec of last year.  Some good info from those who have it. I'd copy link here but not sure I know how.  I plan on doing the upgrade this fall.  

Maybe that worked.

Mike ,

I have the 600 hp FiTech unit. Theres a couple of Facebook  pages that have some good info. Most people who have issues either have issues prior to fitment or cock up there install.  Mine runs fine . Best upgrade I've done apart from the shaker scoop.

I have the FiTech too and done quite a bit of reading on them.  There are a few things that guys have done to get them to run pretty good with tweaking a few parameters.  

Seems like a lot of issues are with the timing control and getting that set up properly.  

If you don't have a fuel system yet, I would look for a tank with the pump inside.   Pump is quieter and will stay cooler that way.  

There was a good article a while back in Super Chevy: "We dig deep into the latest EFI Systems on the market today". It has a big chart that compares the systems, but it isn't necessarily accurate.

My air conditioning bogs down the motor and I need to set the idle up in the summer, so I'm looking for a system that will automatically kick it up when the A/C clutch is engaged, instead of waiting for it to bog down and the idle speed control motor responding after the fact. FiTech  says it will do that but they are fuzzy on the details. The chart says Holly won't do it, but after investigating on their forum, I find it will. Take a good look at the features you need and check them out before you jump. I kinda like the Holly Stealth system because it looks like their 4 barrel carb, but its costs a bunch more. I think you will get better tech support from Holly and their Forum than with FiTech- just my opinion. Sometimes I've gotten different answers from FiTech.

With FiTech you have two choices on the fuel system 1) keep the usual tank and pump. That will feed their Fuel Command Center which will bump the pressure up and feed the EFI and have a return line back to the Command Center. One place for this on a 69/70 is in the drivers side front corner under the A/C lines, but you will loose the washer bottle. Another place is where the battery sits, but you will need to move it to the trunk. 2) The other option is a tank like Tanks Inc fuel injection tank TF28H-T and the in tank pump GPA-4. You will need a high pressure line going out, a return line coming back to the tank, and a vent. One down side is that the lines going to the pump will be on the floor of the trunk and need to be covered.

Holly has made some recent rumblings that you don't need a return line on some of their systems, but I haven't followed this up sufficiently. Their hydramat system looks pretty neat.

You might also want to take a look at the Holley Sniper. And as someone mentioned above, get the efi fuel tank for your car. So much easier to install and you don't have to look for a place to put that 'command center' container up front which is fed from your mechanical pump.

The sniper has the ecu built onto the throttle body and controls timing as well. We just dyno'ed a 410 cubic inch Windsor today with an 850 AED carb on it but we just sold the owner the Holley Sniper for it.We're eager to see how it compares to the 850.

Also we've found that the Holley includes the accelerator bracket/springs etc whereas all that extra stuff is a la carte with FiTech.

Both have hand held screens to tune with.

...John

Thanks for the info guys, I was looking at the Tanksinc.com  EFI fuel tank & pump since I need a new tank any way. What size fuel line will I need to run, & do I need a fuel pressure regulator?.

5 hours ago, Mike65 said:

What size fuel will I need to run, & do I need a fuel pressure regulator?.

There seems to be a key word missing there. Is that fuel pump or fuel line? A GPA-4 pump will probably suffice, depending on the horsepower you are feeding.

You'll need a bulkhead connector to get out of the trunk, like 2700-06-06 from Hydraulics Direct. I would use a steel 3/8 fuel line to a Summit FIF-80112 30 micron filter back near the tank, more steel line up to the engine, and Pegasus hose 3480-06-FOOT into the EFI. 

The FiTech has a built-in regulator, the others may or may not.

FiTech sells a inline pump as well. Only caveat to that, is it needs to be below the tank, but with how our tanks mount its not an issue.  It comes with the pump, fuel line and all the filters.  Some have installed that then used the factory line as the return line.  Using the drain plug as a inlet for the fuel line.  That's how I plan on running mine as well.

And from my digging around it looks like the easiest and cheapest.   The best would be new tank with pump. But thosw are pricey.  The inline kit can be found for around $225.  I was looking at same model the up to 400 hp.  Someone on here is running the up to 600 hp version with the inline with no issues for sone time.

Many people complain about the noise of in-line pumps. That noise gets muffled when using in-tank pumps, but yes it is more expensive. The in-tank pumps require baffles to keep the gas near the intake and thus a special tank.

I have the 600HP version and running their inline pump kit.  I recently changed the pump out to a Bosch 044 as their pimp was making ALOT of noise, like unusually loud noise.   I have heard on other forums that people were having issues with the FiTech inline pump, so I upgraded just to be on the safe side.  So far so good with this pump.  We used the supply line they provided and I am using the old factory supply line as the return.  Used the drain plug port as the return port.    

I had an issue last week that I thought was pump related, but the pump checked out and it appears I had an electrical issue that we seem to have sorted out.  Time will tell when I get some more mileage on it.  Yes the pump can be loud, but honestly its not much louder than the electric fans when they are running.  Can't really hear it when driving and radio on either.  So far I am happy with the way the FiTech runs.  Still fine tuning some things on it, but the more I drive the better it is getting on the tune.  

Mike.

I also run the fitech and the tanks inc tank with the walboro (think I spelled that right) pump they recommended and it is also loud. Made a cover to go over the center of the exposed lines and pump in the center of the tank in the trunk area, insulated it trying to quieten it down. It's not that bad after running and driving but the initial prime is very noticeable.    FYI if I went with the tanks inc tank I would check into a different pump than the one they sell. I think I read that there is a Bosch pump that will fit the tank and is much quieter. As far as the FiTech I am pleased so for I am also using the FiTech to control timing. 

Dave