Sign in to follow this  
MACH1 Mistress

Coyote in a 69 MACH1

I'm new to this site and searching for info on installing a Coyote in my 69. I have a complete 2012 GT for the transplant. Has anyone used the brakes, steering / suspension and drive train from a new model like this? Appreciate any help.

Im not aware of anyone using brakes, steering etc.

is this stick or auto?

installing the engine requires removing shock towers and installing an IFS aftermarket setup.

using the stock harness is beyond difficult.

I use Ron Francis for my Coyote with 6r80 trans. but if your doing stick you can use Ron or Ford racing.

Thanks for the reply. I also have the 6R80. I've read that Power By The Hour has a control pack to run both engine and trans, how does it compare with Ron Francis?  I have looked into several front and rear suspension kits. I would like to end up with a great long distance driver and don't intend to race it, but still want it to handle well without a real choppy ride. Did you have to modify the tunnel or firewall on your car? Body work is done on my car, waiting to paint when all mods are complete.

I helped a friend install a coyote in a 70 Mach using a mustangII front kit. It s a cool swap but a lot of engine in a limited space. 

I also saw at a show where someone took the whole modern mustang platform and dropped a vintage body over it. The spacing of where the front seats will sit killed the back seat completely.

what is the condition of your cars unibody? Just my opinion, but if I had a good unibody with good numbers on it I might be leery to cut it up. 

What I have had on my mind is to find the newer mustang and strip it to the platform, then use one of those mustang fastback conversion kits to convert the modern car into a vintage looking car. To do this you would also need to get the cowl section from a donar car, but that could be a coupe or even a cougar as you wouldn't need much of it. Just a thought.....

there is also Detroit Speed "Aluma-frame" and also AJE kit which uses 87-93 or 99-04 suspension and R&P which at one point thought about if I wanted to go coyote. 

you have multiple options here its just going to cost you a pretty penny...

2 hours ago, rwcstang said:

there is also Detroit Speed "Aluma-frame" and also AJE kit which uses 87-93 or 99-04 suspension and R&P which at one point thought about if I wanted to go coyote. 

you have multiple options here its just going to cost you a pretty penny...

Yup. The only Coyote headers that will fit the DSE Aluma-Frame is their SS headers. At $3250....

Thanks for the input. I've owned this car for 28 years, purchased from second owner. Car had been in a garage for 13 years when I found it. Original color is Lime Gold, 351W, FMX  trans, power front disc , ps.  Body had minimal rust. Replaced rear quarters and damaged right door. Finally answering "my Mistress's" call, to finish what I started.

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

IMG_0464.JPG

21 hours ago, MACH1 Mistress said:

Thanks for the reply. I also have the 6R80. I've read that Power By The Hour has a control pack to run both engine and trans, how does it compare with Ron Francis?  I have looked into several front and rear suspension kits. I would like to end up with a great long distance driver and don't intend to race it, but still want it to handle well without a real choppy ride. Did you have to modify the tunnel or firewall on your car? Body work is done on my car, waiting to paint when all mods are complete.

The Ron francis setup is about $1k. PBTH is considerably more if i remember correctly.

I use the Rod and custom IFS, its very reasonable and made extremely well.