Sign in to follow this  
bosephus

Advice needed for a/c condenser

Wondering if I should buy a new condenser or run the original. I had to replace the heater core and want to sort this while I'm here cause I definitely don't want to do this again. I'm leaning towards a new one but heard that the replacements weren't that great. Pics are of the problem area.Thanks,Bo

post-45145-0-25083200-1489277794.jpg

post-45145-0-32832400-1489277836.jpg

post-45145-0-80255600-1489277871.jpg

That evaporator coil doesn't look very good.  If it's in your budget, replace it.  Be certain to get one compatible with R134A refrigerant.  I believe the R134A evaporator coils are more efficient than the older R12 only evaporator coils.

If you have the heater box out of the car by all means replace it.  Who wants to get that thing out again.  I did the entire thing last year it was a 10x the project I expected it to be.  This is definitely a case of "welp while I'm in hear I should just go ahead and...."

Where are you guys getting these from? Classic auto air,vintage air,Wccc? I don't know if they are all the same but I would like to get the best one I can find. I don't want to tackle this project again. On the bright side,with the lower dash out there is lots of room to install that third pedal I've been wanting!

Mine wasn't as bad as yours but I still changed it out . Didn't want to go through that again. It's a big job. Purchased it from NPD. West coast cougar has a good video on this.

That evaporator coil doesn't look very good.  If it's in your budget, replace it.  Be certain to get one compatible with R134A refrigerant.  I believe the R134A evaporator coils are more efficient than the older R12 only evaporator coils.

yep replace it, and as he says here its the evaporator, the condenser coil is in front of the radiator. You'd get a big surprise if you ordered a condenser.

Just replaced my heater core the condenser didn't look near as bad as yours all that was done while waiting on some other parts was straighten out some fins then left it pressurized for 48 hours had no leaks so I used the old one. Be sure to change the diaphragms while it's apart. I also found out you need to use the preformed hose S shaped hose that connects from the diaphragm on the manifold to the heater core if you use straight hose it will kink causing your heater core to fail. 

California Mustang has them in stock so does WCCC or Cascade Classic Cougars & Mustangs and NPD has the best price.